Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in the Madoc area this Saturday and happened by to stop by a home who had a Bell system. As strange as it may sound this is the first time I had seen a Bell reciever in action. What caught my eye was the fact that the receiver was tuned to the Weather Network and just like on a cable system the local forecast for the area was scrolling along the bottom. As well when the Weather Network did the the local forecast segment the entire screen was deticated to the local weather. On SD during the local weather segment all I get is a summary of every major city in Canada so clearly my SD receiver is not tuned to or perhaps cannot pick up the local forecast datastream for my specific location while the Bell receiver can. I'm assuming that Bell can do this because the Dish Network receivers allow you to input your location?

I see that there is a thread going asking about features we would like to see added to the current and future SD recievers. Is it possible for SD to impliment a specific local data feed to receivers based on location or is there some technical issue that makes this impossible?Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With both my HD and SD Bell receivers I can set my location (province and city) right on the Weather Network station. I believe it's a drop menu that allows this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is something I've noticed as well when comparing Bell to SD broadcasts.

Why is it that SD's TWN broadcasts are like this? It is very annoying that we can only get limited local information on this channel. I've never made much of an issue about it before as I live in one of the "major cities" so I always get local weather info. Although when I switched from cable to StarChoice way back when, this was one of the things that made me question my decision to switch providers (seriously).

I imagine for new SD customers that live in rural areas this is extremely annoying...going from local cable broadcasts where TWN info is for your community to a SD broadcast where you can only get your closest "major city" forecast.

For me, it's a lot quicker to pick up local weather on my smartphone or computer than to have to tune to TWN and wait for my city to scroll up. Still, when I was a cable subscriber, TWN was convenient...so it would be a nice feature for SD.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Once you choose your locaton and press "save", TWN automatically defaults to there the next time you tune to the station.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just tune to TWN then press select (enter?) button and hold it for a few seconds and a world map comes up. Highlight "Canada" or any other country and press "select" again.
The menu then let's you scroll to the city of your choice. There is then an option to "save". Press that and your done!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is the PQ for TWN on Bell as bad as it is on SD? Because I swear TWN is the worst-looking channel on the dial. I'm honestly not sure how it could look worse short of Shaw paying some guy to stand outside by your dish and randomly wave his hand in front of the LNB.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Shaw does have the "Weather app" on 398 (classic lineup), which provides some local weather. That app is on advanced receivers only.

It depends on the chip used if an actual overlay of local data can be done, but I think it should be fairly easy. Of course, as it stands, likely only 6xx receivers would likely get such an update to have local weather overlaid on the TWC feed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. Yes I agree that the PQ of TWN is very bad. I have also used the Shaw weather app occationally however I find it slow to load and difficult to get out of. I just like the local weather info combined with TWN's video feed. It's clear that they have designed the channel around this combination. Perhaps SD630Support will comment and in the mean time I'll send an email off to Ask Jim and see what response I get.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The WTN is a disgrace as far as providing "national" weather. Perhaps.. acceptable if you live in the East but from Sask and West forget it. SD would do well to cancel the channel and use the band width for some thing else.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The WTN is a disgrace as far as providing "national" weather. Perhaps.. acceptable if you live in the East but from Sask and West forget it. SD would do well to cancel the channel and use the band width for some thing else.
I agree. TWN is the worst channel on TV. Every time I tune in, it seems there's always a commercial. Then I have to sit through 20 minutes of crap before my region is featured. Even the segments are plastered with advertising icons or "brought to you by" BS. Most of the time, the road condition map doesn't even have our local highway on it! (Nova Scotia 103) Apparently, it doesn't exist in the TWN database.
Compare this to the US Weather Channel - it has live feeds, features, storm stories local updates and is very entertaining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts