Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after having Videotron call me and cancel my installation appointment for last weekend, we are rescheduled for today and waiting for the infamous 7:30AM-8PM installation of our new telephony and PVR.

Just so I am crystal clear, I ordered the HD PVR from Videotron, what model should be arriving? (I don't want to get stuck with an older one etc.)

Thanks
Laura

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
You will get two boxes. One for your telephony (which can be used for HS internet if you decide later) and the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

We're still waiting. We are doing HS internet too, I just didn't mention it because we already have that from Videotron.

Laura

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Then your old cable modem will be replaced with the combo telephony + internet box. Just make sure they don't keep your old one if you own it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He just left, we are good to go! He had to leave and come back because his work order said we already had our HD PVR and he had to go pick one up for us.

Now I am just waiting for my bill to make sure that nothing is messed up.

We definitely need a new tv though, the crappiness of ours really shines with digital.

So, I don't need to do anything with Bell Canada right? Videotron said that they take care of the switch...

Sorry to have so many newbie questions, I am not very technologically advanced. I am just glad that our airport, phone and tv work!

Laura

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
He should have disconnected your phoneline from the Bell line coming into the house. Videotron will take care of the number portability for you. In a few weeks you should get a final statement from Bell and a cheque for the reminder part of the billing period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And don't buy a tv too fast, the better your tv, the worse is the image. It will display all the compression details. Look for a tv that have a correction engine at worse. Like LG they have the XD engine, I know sony have one too, so look for an option like that if you change tv.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We definitely need a new tv though, the crappiness of ours really shines with digital.
Maybe the crappiness of the digital compression shines on your TV! ;)

I've been using a HD PVR for a week on a standard 10 years old TV, and the image is much much better on the HD channels. This only proves the problem is the signal not the TV (unless you have a 20 years old TV!). WildParadise is right.

So, I don't need to do anything with Bell Canada right? Videotron said that they take care of the switch...
If you call Bell, they will remove your phone number and Videotron won't be able to use it: you'll have to change phone number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, 5 days later and about 3 hours spread over 4 phone calls to Videotron and I finally have the 30 a la carte channels that I ordered. They apparently just gave me a random selection the first time, then tried to tell me that I couldn't "change" them for a month. I told them it wasn't a change since they weren't what I had ordered in the first place. Next call was because my PVR stopped working (only had a screen saver saying press any button to watch tv, but pressing a button, any button, including the power button, had no effect). The next call was because I was still missing 13 of my 30 channels, this guy told me it would take up to 24 hours. Finally I got ahold of a tech tonight who said that everyone along the way forgot to check a little box for our HD terminal and I had my other 13 channels instantly.

Then about 45 minutes later I got a customer satisfaction survey call, LOL.

So, thanks for the advice all, we're going to hold off on another tv until we can afford it anyway, but at least we now have our services that we ordered!

Laura

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Congrats. I saw in another thread that Videotron was offering a $150 programming credit with the purchase of an 8300HD. If I didn't already have HD I would have been all over that deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks 57, I had searched the board while on hold with Videotron but must have used the wrong key words because I couldn't find the problem

Jake, we didn't get any programming credits but a straight $150 off the PVR. I found out a couple of days later that people were getting $50 better than that at a Videotron kiosk. Oh well!

laura

·
Registered
7 Posts
Programming credit for the HD PVR

I got the $150 programming credit for the HD PVR which cost $449. I asked if I could get the $100 credit if I bought regular digital receiver at $199, but the CSR said the promo applied only to the first receiver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Programming credit for the HD PVR

Hi Laura,

So sorry to hear it! But all might not be lost.

Just so I'm clear on your situation. You bought your first Videotron terminal a HDPVR, within the last week or so, for more than $449 and didn't receive the $150 programming credit either. Right?

If so, Videotron has it's price advertised on the website for $449 right now, so you should at least get this price. The promo also included $150 programming credit. Total cost assuming you use the credits, $299.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts