Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mark was indeed the voice of CITY-TV for as long as I can remember.
"the City, EVERYWHERE.": I believe he was from the U.S. as are a number of GTA celebrities on radio and TV. All media local and nationwide is changing and usually not for the better. He will be missed. Maybe CITY-TV could continue to use his voice over staion breaks, similar to the NY Yankees using the now-dead announcer with the deep voice just for Derek Jeter.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Loved all his little impromptu comments on the old City TV movies, during the commercial breaks. Seems like just a few weeks ago he had announced on air that his Cancer had returned. Very sad.

-Mike

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Aww man, heard this today on the news. Will miss the old guy. Miss seeing him at the Martini Bar on Victoria street. He would chill there and talk to the patrons and staff and have a drink before his 11:00 o'clock news gig.

The Voice will be missed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mark Dailey along with Byron MacGregor, Grant Hudson and Dick Smthye were part of those CKLW Big 8 20/20 sensational newscasts. They wrote their own material.

Mark's byline was "When bullets buzz, buzz the Big 8 Hotline! 254-CKLW in Windsor, 961-NEWS in Detroit!"

RIP

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I hope his voice will live on in Citytv's promos. Torontonians know him best of course, but he also did generic, non-local promos and station ids for all of the Citytv stations.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As others have mentioned his comedic ability was often seen in his movie comments before and after commercials.

My only disappointment with the Znaimer era of City is that Dailey's excellent comedic wit wasn't given more of a star making venue like his own talk show.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So sad to hear. That voice was iconic for Torontonians.
The station is like a zombie since Rogers gutted it, and now we've lost a part that helped make it special. RIP.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I remember when he went on-air and announced he had the disease. I really thought he would beat it. He was very upbeat and positive about it, and imperative about getting your prostate checked. RIP Mark.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Definitely sad to hear of Mark's passing. According to a bio I read elsewhere he had had prostate cancer in 2004 and beat it but it had spread to his kidneys.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
IMO, James Earl Jones, Roscoe Lee Browne and Mark Dailey had three of the most commanding voices I have ever heard.

I know nothing about Mr. Dailey personally yet I will miss him.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I always loved his Star Trek promos, "Your Federation Station". I'm glad he was at least able to give his daughter away in marriage this past fall. Having just done that myself in June, it's at least a bit of a comfort.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I would love to see someone put together a youtube of his "best" movie intros. Some of the stuff he used to say, especially on the late movie, was hilarious.

He will be missed...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just want to echo all the sentiments written here. Mark Dailey was by all accounts, a class act and a genuinely good guy. And oh, what a voice. It never crossed my mind that he wouldn't beat this terrible diease. I just expected him to show up on-air again and everything would be fine. A sad, sad day, and a loss for all of us.

Guys, heed his words...get tested. It could save your life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
His capsule movie reviews late at night always made me laugh.

He should have had his own television show. His banter was always good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts