Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's probably just someone sitting on a domain for profit. Fox might buy it or sue for ownership in the event Conan does go to Fox. Or they could just ignore it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Leno's view was the view we always knew.
Actually, what we know now, which is slightly different than what was presented last week, is that when Leno "bequethed" the Tonight Show to Conan back in 2004, he wasn't doing it to be nice. He was told to say it, by the NBC executives. Why would Jay want to give up a great show? He's paid big bucks, hardly really works, and can still play with his hobby.

I feel sorry for both Jay and Conan. Both are great guys, both have their funny and unfunny moments. But both didn't deserve what NBC executives have pushed on them.

But hey, don't feel too bad for Conan, he's walking away from NBC with $30M in his pocket, an extended Summer vacation and will start up with FOX in the fall, very likely competing head-to-head with Jay and David. Let the viewers decide who is #1.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
He's paid big bucks, hardly really works, and can still play with his hobby.
The big bucks is true but I wouldn't call Leno's 18 hour days "hardly working." He does get to drive those great cars to work though. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hope jay can get back some of those ratings. If not then what will they do with him?

In any event comedy is subjective so who is funny is a matter of opinion. My thinking is that Conan is on the wrong network for his brand of comedy and Jay is for the Geratol crowd.

Once Jay is gone I do not think there is anyone they will be able to replace him I would not be surprised if the Tonight show does not last more than 5 more years.

The times are a changing

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Oh, come on, people!

Does anyone here really believe that if Jay Leno had told NBC, unequivocally, that with his 10pm show being canceled, he simply wanted to retire from TV, go play with his cars and do his stand-up, that NBC would have said, "No way, BigJaw. We own your ass, and we're not gonna let you go; you take this 11:35pm show, or we'll see you in court!!"

NBC would look even worse than they do now. I would posit that Jay did not put up much of a fight in being "forced" to return to 11:35pm.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's exactly what I've been waiting for - a concise explanation of the whole situation using animated morphing super-hosts .... :)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Conan's staffers:

NBC fired back in a statement, saying "it was Conan's decision to leave NBC that resulted in nearly 200 of his staffers being out of work."

"We have already agreed to pay millions of dollars to compensate every one of them. This latest posturing is nothing more than a PR ploy," the network said.

A spokesman for O'Brien declined to comment.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Leno gave his side of the events on the Monday Jay Leno show. According to him, NBC was calling all the shots (which makes sense) and is totally responsible for the conflicts and problems. Leno also says that he did not want to leave the Tonight Show but was forced out by NBC. Furthermore, he says he wanted to leave NBC after his 10pm show was canceled but they would not let him out of his contract, forcing him to fulfill it with a half hour 11:35pm show instead. Believe what you want but I believe the man, even if he did gloss over many of the details. Leno also said that they forced him off The Tonight Show 6 years ago because Conan was receiving offers from other companies. So there it is, NBC hedged their bets and kept Conan from leaving by making promises they did not keep. Then they basically screwed Conan to keep Leno, after it became apparent that Leno was still hanging on to #1 ratings with The Tonight Show. A bit of nasty business that. Either way, someone other than NBC was going to get the shaft and Conan was number one on NBC's list.
It was a candid explanation and it did ring true. I agree he probably glossed over his own role slightly in wanting to remain on air. The chain of events he relayed sounded quite plausible and each of these mis-steps was probably network initiated.

I think years ago when he agreed to the retirement plan it seemed OK at the time but later felt differently. NBC did blow it how they launched things last fall... having Leno come back undercut Conan, and having the two shows diluted both.

I know Conan is the choice of a hip generation... but let's face it, he couldn't deliver the audience which is the main job requirement. So in terms of job performance, he's been a flop. And I kind of think many of the Team Coco crowd aren't regular TV viewers anyway, especially not Fox viewers anyway.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think that despite all the flap that Leno is receiving, NBC is the real culprit here and that should not be denied by anybody. The only thing I would truly fault Leno for if his explanation is the tuth (and I believe for the most part it is), he should have negotiated the Tonight Show succession to coincide with the end of his NBC contract so that he wouldn't be in this pickle of having to accept the 10pm show or else be off the air for a substantial amount of time. He should not have expected NBC to release him early from his contract (which would have been the right thing to do but NBC hasn't shown itself to be noble) - all that should have been addressed in 2004.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I'm sure Jay tried to extend the Tonight Show until the end of his contract. The expiry dates of Jay's and Conan's contracts were obviously different and somebody would have been unemployed either way.

I can't see how anybody can blame Leno for anything. The man was fired twice.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Does anyone here really believe that if Jay Leno had told NBC, unequivocally, that with his 10pm show being canceled, he simply wanted to retire from TV, go play with his cars and do his stand-up, that NBC would have said, "No way, BigJaw. We own your ass, and we're not gonna let you go; you take this 11:35pm show, or we'll see you in court!!"
I believe they would. At the very least, they would have stopped Leno from appearing on TV until the end of his contract. NBC would also probably have sued Leno for breach of contract. That's the way US businesses operate.

Looks like Letterman entered the fray with a few sarcastic comments about Leno.
And Letterman has no axe to grind? Yeah right. :rolleyes: He has done well since leaving NBC though. Maybe they did him a favour by letting him go.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
And Letterman has no axe to grind? Yeah right. :rolleyes: He has done well since leaving NBC though. Maybe they did him a favour by letting him go.
Huh? I never said Letterman had no axe to grind. He obviously does as he was out-maneuvered by Leno when the Tonight show was up for grabs. I just thought it was funny, so no need to roll your eyes at me for something I never said.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm sure Jay tried to extend the Tonight Show until the end of his contract. The expiry dates of Jay's and Conan's contracts were obviously different and somebody would have been unemployed either way.
But my point was that Leno should have been worked out in 2004, as part of his "retirement" from the Tonight Show, that his NBC contract would expire at the same time and he would be allowed to negotiate with other employers. IOW, instead of trying to extend the Tonight Show now he should have tried to shorten his contract back then. That was just common sense. There is no way he should have allowed himself to be in a position in which he still had to appear on that network when he was pushed from the Tonight Show.

121 - 140 of 184 Posts