Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Maybe Southland can come back now for a second season. Loved that show!
I was in Los Angeles over the weekend and while watching the NFL games on Saturday, I'm sure I saw a promo for Southland coming back to NBC.
I think it's airing right now on one of the NBC-Universal networks (USA Network, maybe (?))

·
Registered
63 Posts
Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno

Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan​
NY_Times link...

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
As Jerry Seinfeld said yesterday, they gave Conan the Tonight Show. It's up to him to make it work. I hope he leaves NBC so Jay can get his job back.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
"Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show"

Sounds like he'll sue if they don't honor the commitments in the contract (whatever that is)...

-Mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
As Goldmember would put it: Oh a power struggle!!!!!

Good for Conan for being honest & sticking his ground, making a quick statement about it, Jay is ok and all, but its gotten really messy just to accomodate him at every one elses expense.
a 1/2 show with 10 min of commercials doesnt leave room for much,
a quick monologue & a quick guest or sketch or Musical guest.
I think doing the 1/2 show will hurt ratings even more
It wasnt broke and they keep trying to fix it,
At least if leno comes back get him a desk again cause he looks real goofy without one.
Its all good for Letterman & Ferguson. they both are much better anyways

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Wow, what a letter. Good for him. I'll miss watching his show and wish him the best of luck. He'll be in this business a long time; looking forward to seeing what he does next.

Conan & Fallon are the only NBC shows I watch, and I bet I'm not the only one, given my demographic.

·
Banned
320 Posts
"Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show"

Sounds like he'll sue if they don't honor the commitments in the contract (whatever that is)...

-Mike
Apparently the contract stipulates that NBC has the right to move his show back or forth up to one hour, so he can't sue them for that. He does have the option to quit though and still get paid $80 million over the next 4 years of his contract.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
So far Conan has not made a success of the Tonight Show. His viewership has dropped to half of what Leno's was. Leno kept his numbers he had on the Tonight Show but for a prime time show his numbers weren't good enough for the NBC local news stations who were losing up to 30% of their ad revenues. I like both Leno and Conan--they have their good and bad points.

Conan is also losing to Letterman in the ratings so something needs to be changed. Maybe NBC's plan will work--only time will tell.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I used to like Leno but through all of this I now also think of him as a total douche. And he's never looked comfortable or relaxed on the new show and I've found the writing and jokes weak.

On the contrary I've found the new Tonight Show with Conan very funny. Hence I'm very sad to hear this news. Hopefully he'll end up on top somewhere at sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Whatever it was that Seinfeld said in support of Leno rings hollow, and nothing but support for one of the old clique of stand-up comedians that they were in together. After all, Leno's show at 10:00 did badly as well, leading to an affiliate revolt. Yet somehow 7 months for Conan to prove himself at 11:30 is good enough for Seinfeld to say that Conan should be be turfed, yet 5 months for Leno at 10:00 with an abysmal show means he should get a reprieve and be given the 11:30 spot again makes even less sense. Considering that NBC gave Seinfeld so many chances before it caught on, yet for Seinfeld to say that he's willing to let NBC cut Conan loose after only 7 months at The Tonight Show is hypocritical. Seinfeld needs to shut up.

Some people seem to be also forgetting that it took Leno almost 2 years from when his stint at The Tonight Show started to finally beat Letterman in the ratings.

Leno is nothing but a self-serving douche and hopefully enough bad blood comes out of this that his show, in whatever incarnation emerges out of all of this, never recovers in the ratings. Leno's brand of middle-America safe, uninventive, uninspired, and populist "humour" is as bland and banal as his audience deserves.

·
Registered
846 Posts
From TMZ:
O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blistering letter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."
I must be missing something here - how is referring to both their shows as comedy programs 'denigrating' Leno's show? From Conan's letter:
I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting.
Considering how they've shafted him on this deal, I thought his 'blistering letter' was a pretty restrained and well thought out response. Where exactly is the 'whining' and the so-called 'cheap shots'?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I agree--you make a very good point. Conan's letter is not blistering at all, nor is he whining. It is just another case of the media (in this case TMZ) trying to make a story more than it really is. Bringing Leno back is only a short term fix. They should give Conan 2 years like they did with Leno before he got better ratings than Letterman. But what would NBC do with Leno? NBC needs to replace Leno with dramas that bring in more viewers to help the local news stations out with their ad revenues. But they don't want to lose Leno who currently gets better ratings than Conan. It is a mess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good for Conan. I hope he ends up on Fox 30 mins before everyone else, and does something great with it so he destroys the rest of 'em in the ratings. I think NBC just killed the historic Tonight Show.

Leno was stale for years before he left the Tonight Show. While I won't go so far as to call him a "self-serving douche" (even if I suspect thats true), he's definitely not my favorite late night guy, and was never fit to shine Carsons shoes. BUT he's a car guy, and in the few car things I've seen him in he seemed pretty likable. I'd like to see Jay do a GOOD american version of "Top Gear" and take the Jeremy Clarkson seat.

21 - 40 of 184 Posts