Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Midnight Rx”

After Burns cancels the employee drug program, Grampa and Homer goes to Canada for cheaper prescriptions and get caught smuggling. For a detailed description of the show go to...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/News/2005/01/17/900800-sun.html

Being a Winnipeger that episode last night was awesome!

1) Homer drives on the highway with a directional sign that reads "Gimli" and "Winnipeg" with accurate highways numbers noted.
2) The sign that read "Welcome to Winnipeg. I was born here what's your excuse?" was hilarious!
3) The city skyline shown in the scene in Winnipeg was actually very accurate.

Very cool! People have always said that both Homer and the Comic Book Guy are based upon real people from Winnipeg (one of which was Groening's father). This show has had Winnipeg references in it in more than one instance.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
I actually thought it was a writter for the Simpsons that was from Winnipeg. That's why for years the promo for the Simpsons on CKND was the scene then Bart, Nelson, et al rented the car with Bart's fake ID, Nelson smacks the irritated father in the car next to them, and the father says "That's it! Back to Winnipeg!"

I'm sorry I missed last night's Simpsons then.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Splash said:
no they are not... They are based on people and places from Portland...
Au contraire... I didn't say that all characters were based upon Canadians... just two that I am aware of. Groening himself said that he believed his father Homer came from Winnipeg so technically Homer is a Winnipegger (although this has recently been disputed by Main Centre, Saskatchewan). See http://ccr.ptbcanadian.com/simpsons/ for more details.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I think most of the references are based mainly on the amount of Canadian writers for The Simpsons. The show definately has many Canadian refereneces, many more than the typical American viewer will pick up on.

The 2 fav things last night for me were the "Now Celine Dion- Free" sign, and the Winnipeg/Gimli sign, as my gf is from Winnipeg and had a cabin in Gimli. She laughed when she saw that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I enjoyed last night's Simpson's episode. Flanders meeting his Canadian doppleganger was funny. And having the drugstore in Winnipeg made out like they were going into bulk bins to get drugs was pretty amusing, as well.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
MrGrinch said:
Au contraire... I didn't say that all characters were based upon Canadians... just two that I am aware of. Groening himself said that he believed his father Homer came from Winnipeg so technically Homer is a Winnipegger (although this has recently been disputed by Main Centre, Saskatchewan). See http://ccr.ptbcanadian.com/simpsons/ for more details.

it's a Cartoon... they don't have nationality... But when the creator of the "cartoon" says most places and people are based on Portand, I tend to believe him!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Again... Groening says his father (upon which Homer is loosely based) was from Winnipeg so I tend to believe him too. HS is also based upon the character in "The Day of the Locust".

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed last night's episode. As funny as the Canadian references were, I laughed hardest when Apu drank the hot coffee.

If you saw the episode, you'll know what I am typing about.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Another great Canadian reference in the season finale...it was flashed on screen so quick, I had to go back and check.
Yup, there it is!

I mean Lethbridge! It couldn't even stand in for Calgary...let alone NYC!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts