Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all love OTA here and building and setting up our antennas. Most of us are interested in creating awareness of the beautiful HD signals we can get with OTA gear. The upcoming SuperBowl in Feb 2011 is a great opportunity to showcase OTA. Fox has picked up the broadcast for the game. While cable viewers can watch the game, most likely it will be simsubbed in their area and will miss out on the commercials.

A lot of people are close enough to the US border to pick up Fox tv with an antenna and see the game plus the commercials. I think it's a great opportunity to collaborate on a project that provides information on how to pick up the game OTA for those that are on cable/satellite.

We could use this thread to start capturing information such as

- channel (real and virtual) of Fox station that can be picked up in your local area
- strength of channel and what kind of antenna is needed - ie. rabbit ears or deep fringe

And then some simple build plans appropriate for the viewers in their local area to pick up the game OTA.

I'm willing to take all the raw data and put it into one post for easy reference when the time comes. I'm sure Hugh wouldn't mind PR'ing the project when done on the front page of Digital Home.

------

Anyways, this is my idea. I figure if youtube and the infamous coat hanger antenna can get people excited about OTA, then picking up the SuperBowl broadcast with simple OTA antenna would work as well.

thoughts and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I traveled across the border with tvfool and found 13 Fox stations close enough to the border for the signal to make it into Canada. A lot less than I thought. There are some repeaters that might be picked up in British Columbia so if any knows of a repeater they can pick up please let me know in this thread.

Major Canadian cities/areas to pick up Fox. Vancouver/Surrey, Winnepeg, Saute Ste. Marie, Most of Southern Ontario around Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and Montreal/Sherbrooke.

Here are the tvfool plots and Fox stations:

British Columbia

KCPQ - 13 (13.1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCPQ

KAYU - 28 (28.1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAYU

Alberta & Saskatchewan

None

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7