Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pillars of the Earth is based on the international bestselling novel by Ken Follett, a sweeping epic of good and evil, treachery and intrigue, violence and beauty. This sensuous, spirited and passionate story is set against a backdrop of war, religious strife and power struggles, which tears lives and families apart. In this time of strife, there rises a magnificent Cathedral in Kingsbridge.

Against this backdrop, human dramas and love stories entwine: Tom (Rufus Sewell), the master builder, Aliena (Hayley Atwell), the noblewoman, the sadistic Lord William (David Oakes), Philip (Matthew Macfadyen), the prior of Kingsbridge, Jack (Eddie Redmayne), the artist in stone work and Ellen (Natalia Wörner), the woman from the forest who casts a curse. At once, this is a sensuous and enduring love story and an epic that shines with the fierce spirit of a passionate age. Ken Follett masterfully weaves these stories through the political turmoil of 12th century England, creating a relevant and viable world for today's audience and for generations to come. The miniseries also stars Ian McShane, Alison Pill, Donald Sutherland and Gordon Pinsent.
Premieres
  • Movie Central: Friday, July 23 at 8 p.m. PT
  • The Movie Network: Friday, July 23 at 9 p.m. ET
Following the premiere, the show will air at 8 p.m. on Mondays.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, both Pillars and World Without End were two great reads! Really looking forward to this series!

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
They sure have big name stars on there. If the previews are true to what is in the series, it looks like it will be a good show.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Wow!

Two episodes in and I'm lovin this series! I really likes the twists and turns that they are taking. Great TV!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's a good, and so far, faithful adaptation of the book. I recommend reading the book though, there's so much more intrigue and politics. The election of Prior Philip at the priory, for instance, was a short story in and of itself, and was but a blip in the show. The hardships felt by Tom Builder and his family was really severe in the book, they were almost starving for weeks and he had to sell his tool kit, something he really needs for his craft.
And I may be wrong, but I don't think it was one of the thieves who had the baby at the priory.
But all in all, I am really enjoying it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My hubby's read the book and has given the first 2 episodes a thumbs up. Though he makes these noises which I know is his brain searching how the book did that part different than the mini series. I threatened to duct tape his mouth at one point. ;)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Interesting. I was wondering why I keep seeing this book on prominent display lately when it must be 20 years old. Now I know... Will definitely have to get the DVD/BD when available, if the reviews remain positive. I liked the book a lot, read it a few times, but not for at least 10 years. Made me read more Follett...

·
Registered
243 Posts
The show seems rushed to me (I haven't read the book but I have used it to flatten paper).

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am liking the series so far and starting to warm up to a few of the characters. Good show so far! (I have not read the book.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Series is all done and I really enjoyed it. Loved the charcaters, the era and the intertwined plot! Only negative thoughts were that it could have used a few more episodes as the last 3 seemed very rushed.
Awesome series though!

·
Registered
225 Posts
A good mini series...

I'd read the books and enjoyed the min series. Like the majority say though it did feel rushed towards the end. Wonder if there are plans to do World Without End?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Nursedude...I heard they were planning on filming the sequel.

Note, I loved the Pillars of the Earth book, but found the sequel to be pretty much a rehash of the same thing. Same evil guys, same pretty innocent violated women, etc.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I really enjoyed the mini-series as well. I haven't read the books yet, but I definitely will now.

dogpatchkid - this is a fictional novel! Follett made it as accurate to the times as he could imagine it, but the people and cathedral are fictional.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I really enjoyed the mini-series as well. I haven't read the books yet, but I definitely will now.

dogpatchkid - this is a fictional novel! Follett made it as accurate to the times as he could imagine it, but the people and cathedral are fictional.
Is it the same for Raiders of the Lost Ark? I realize it was a historical fiction, but I assume the history of the time, the anarchy caused by secession was true. As someone who majored in History at UWO, I think series like this covering history are as good as what actually happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts