Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going to post a letter I recently sent to Telus in regards to a land line I tried to have changed for my father:

"I’m sending this mail in regards to a land line that my father has, the account of which is in my name, [name and account # removed]. My father is 89 years old and lives in a care facility in Richmond BC. I live in Victoria BC and I had the phone put in so that I can communicate with him on a daily basis.

"Over a week ago, my father had to be moved to another room. The facility only gives 24 hours notice for a move like that, so I had no lead time to change his phone line from one room to another. When I had moved him, I called Telus customer service to have the line changed and they told me that it would be a week before they could do it. It seemed like an awfully long time, but reluctantly, I agreed.

You have to understand that this is my father’s only way to connect to his family. He has Alzheimers and even remembering numbers these days is a struggle for him. So a full week without a phone may mean that he loses even more capacity to remember those numbers.

"Yesterday was the day that the technician was supposed to go out to the care facility and set up the phone in my father’s new room. I called the number last night and again this morning and it was “Not In Service”. So I checked with Telus customer service again. To make a long story short, when the technician went to the care facility, he asked for ME by name and not my father. They told him there was no such resident. So without further investigation, he left.

"And now it’s going to take another WHOLE WEEK to send another technician out? I pleaded with customer service, trying to emphasize the fact that this is my father’s only source of communicating with his family…was there no way to expedite the service call so he could have a phone to use a little sooner? But I did so to no avail.

"I guess land lines aren’t as important to a big company like Telus anymore. But to an old man who barely remembers numbers, two weeks to go without a phone is just unacceptable. And by the time you read this, it’s quite likely that my father STILL won’t have his phone. Snail mail, it seems, is faster than Telus customer service. So I am going to continue to complain in whatever way I can, including this letter."

I just want to emphasize that there are still people in the universe who are not tech savvy and to whom land lines are really IMPORTANT.

Just wanted to vent, since that's probably the only satisfaction I'll receive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just so you know, the service techs are -very busy- and they are booked well over a week at a time, doing the usual installs, replacements, etc, plus now setting up OPTIK, which is in demand, causing more delays than usual.
New staff are being hired, but, when booking, you have to be very detailed and specific, or they will do as they did, and move to the next one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
One would think a simple "frame switch" in the central office computers would be all that's necessary for a room that has most likely had phone service at some point in the recent past.

Here in Winnipeg, if someone moves out of a residence (house, apartment, etc) and was currently subscribed to MTS landline phone service, and the next person moving in wants landline service, simply has to have the line re-activated with their phone number (the service rep at MTS just has to do a fairly simple "frame switch") without even having to send out a tech.

Maybe this is the case? Good luck, I hope it works out sooner than later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts