Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

581 - 589 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
While I agree with a lot of what you say here tvmaster...I also think that it's not just about the commercials.
It's also about the fact that we are not given the rights to make the decision for ourselves.
The CRTC (aka Government) makes the decision that we cannot watch the direct channels that we pay for through cable/satellite providers and that is not right in my books.
If CTV or Global want to run the same TV shows as FOX or CBS that's fine...but let us as citizens choose which channels we watch.
Watching the same commercial 20 times during a broadcast is plain stupid.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There are nearly one million Canadians living, working, whatever in southern California. There isn’t a single, Canadian TV channel on any cable or satellite list I know. How many Americans live in southern Ontario, and how many American channels are available there?

Why would that be? Don’t say the shows are crap, because a lot of U.S. shows are crap. Protectionism is alive and well in U.S. media. But the difference between Canada & the U.S. is Canada protects culture, while the U.S. protects corporations.
Name one Canadian channel that produces enough commercially-appealing Canadian content to have a viable broadcast presence in the U.S. The only one I can think of is the CBC and it's probably much more cost-effective for them to sell the rights to their popular shows to U.S. networks/streamers rather than setting up affiliate stations and/or the infrastructure to sell advertising.

I'm definitely not saying to get rid of the CRTC - only that this report's recommendations would give them far too much power for little gain.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The CRTC (aka Government) makes the decision that we cannot watch the direct channels that we pay for through cable/satellite providers and that is not right in my books.
Is there any reasonably advanced country which allows foreign broadcasters unfettered access to its citizens?

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
rather than setting up affiliate stations
Do any American networks have Canadian affiliates? I've never seen any.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Do any American networks have Canadian affiliates? I've never seen any.
If I understand correctly, that would be largely pointless as the CRTC allows Canadian television distributors to carry U.S. OTA stations without having to pay them anything or get their permission. This works both ways as the CBC is carried on cable networks in some U.S. border cities.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Canadian culture...no such thing. Time for many to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.
Well, we've certainly diverged from the United States, especially in the last twenty years. We're not like the British or Australians. So whose culture do we have? Time for you to open your eyes?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The CRTC is primarily around to protect Canadian broadcasters and Canadian telecommunications companies. Since they cannot be trusted to protect Canadian consumers, the CRTC does that as well. Some CRTC chairpersons do a better job of that than others since they and their staff often have close ties to the broadcasting industry.

The CRTC's role is couched in political speak such as "protecting Canadian culture" in order to make it more palatable. The CRTC pretty much counted on broadcasters to do that but some have given that up in favour of profits and expansion.

The FCC plays a similar role and suffers from the same flaws. The one thing the FCC has done far better than the CRTC is to protect smaller broadcasters. The CRTC has let the industry be taken over by large corporations that now have a stranglehold on Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications industries.

581 - 589 of 589 Posts