Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 589 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
The whole thing should be scrapped. Let Cable/Satellite Providers carry as much American channels as they want. If Canadian TV Nets and Canadian Specialty channels want to survive, they can learn to do it without the protection of the CRTC, the CRTC's purpose is to take away the competition. Look at CTV, Global and CityTV there entire primetime schedule is US shows!!! There Canadian Originals for the most part suck, and they make a few originals and play them over and over to get there cancon, over with. Take a look at how many people (pay monthly bills) get US satellite service... a lot!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Totally Agree with you. I am not going to go listing every show I cannot watch, because of the CRTC, but the whole Movie Central / TMN does not give us every Showtime / HBO series they give us some but not all, I don't get the USA Network, TNT has some really good dramas on this summer (TBS commercials) eg. Saved, The Closer. My Canadian Networks don't broadcast this. And don't say they have it on CH, I don't get CH, CH is not a mandatory network. (globals left over series dumping ground). The Oxygen Network (Oprah's TV channel) I admit I watch Oprah, it's interesting, The Oprah After Show (exclusively on Oxygen) cannot be found on Canadian Channels. I could go on and on, but here in my suggestions.

1) You either provide us with every US series / mini-series / documentaries / etc. on various canadian specialty channels or you give us that US channel we are missing out on.

2) Its annoying when a show on a US specialty network is put on a totally opposite Canadian specialty network
eg. Hogan Knows Best 2 on VH1, which is a lifestyle network is on TVTropolis a old hit series TV channel, I almost wish if they are going to make Canadian versions of US specialty channels they would do it like so:

VH1 Canada (hopefully MuchMusic clan will form into this)
Nick Canada
Disney Canada
TNT Canada
USA Net! Canada
etc.

I have never been a grey-market satellite owner, I have talked to my MP and expressed my concerns, and I am a Conservative voter, usually because they represent my personal morals, but I see them as maybe being a change in the CRTC. I have taken political steps, by contacting different people, looks like nothing will happen for awhile. (Forum's Grey Market Sat. Policy: You can discuss it, but it is not allowed to give help and assistance on actually setting it up) I am considering going Direct-TV for Digital-HD and get basic cable for information purposes. But I will hold out in hope that there will be change. I am not for scrapping the CRTC, I have relatives in the Vancouver acting business, and the Candian Content act get them jobs, but there needs to be an overhaul of the system.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to The Official I hate the CRTC Thread!

Since so many members take it upon themselves to complain about the CRTC, especially in threads that have nothing to with the CRTC, we thought we would create this thread.

Rules of the Forum say that we delete threads or posts that say this company sucks or that person sucks or the government sucks because they servce no purpose and seldom add any value, however, we are going to wave that rule in this thread!

(Please note that legitimate complaints that actually describe customer service problems and point out potential issues and/or solutions, warn people of legitimate issues, or engage people in meaningful discussion are always welcome in all forums!)

But back to the CRTC.

Here's your chance to let it out! and even say things like "the crtc sucks!"

So here it is, the place to bash the CRTC and not have your post deleted!

(of course the bulk of the rules of this forum still apply here!)

Hope you Enjoy!
I completely hate the CRTC and their simsub rule!!!!.This has forced me several times already have to spend money to book a motel room for the weekend in a US border State in in order to watch the Super Bowl free from the clutches of the communists rulers of the CRTC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
http://www.petitiononline.com/15426894/petition.html

To: Canadian Government and CRTC
Have you ever watched an American television program?

If you own a satellite system or have Cable, the answer is of course. Did you know that there are literally hundreds of American and other foreign television channels that are purposely made "unavailable" to you by the Canadian Government and CRTC?

Do you own a small satellite system (DirecTV or Dish Network) or a big C-band dish? Did you know that your government and other parties with a vested interest (Bell Expressvu, Starchoice, Cable Companies) have made it illegal to receive ANY foreign television transmissions that have not been approved or sanctioned by them?

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in April that federal broadcasting law prohibits Canadians from gaining access to direct-to-home satellite TV signals from providers other than Toronto-based Bell ExpressVu LP — a unit of Bell Canada — and Star Choice Communications Inc. of Calgary.

Under existing Canadian laws, users of so-called grey-market satellite dishes — people who PAY for a U.S.-based satellite service — face up to one year in jail, or a $5,000 fine. Firms found guilty of the same offence face a $25,000 fine. This includes the big C-band dishes (that Canadians have had since the 1970's) as well.

The CRTC and governments have taken it upon themselves to decide what is okay for you to watch and what you can't. The CRTC's so called "white list" contains all the American and International channels that can be distributed in Canada. And all the other channels that aren't on it are forbidden to you as we, as Canadians, are obviously considered too dumb by our government to choose for ourselves what we should watch and so the decision is made for us like we are a bunch of preschoolers.

The channels that are on the "white list" are the ones that are available on cablevision. There are literally hundreds of channels that our governments say are "illegal" to watch and discourage us from disobeying them by slapping our wrists and declaring that Canadians watching "grey market" TV are lawbreakers!

If we have the ability to watch a program on television and we want to watch it in the privacy of our own home, then we should be able to do so! Without any governments or corporations declaring us a lawbreaker!

Silly me I was also under the impression that we lived in a free country, but that also is proving to be a fallacy.

I agree with the fact that Canadian companies have paid big money to acquire the broadcasting rights of some of the American companies, but the last time I checked, viewership was a privilege not a right, and if these Canadian companies want us to watch their programming instead, then they should do so by making it worth watching! And not because we are forced to!

We do not need government minions and functionaries to decide what television my children and family can watch.

This "Big Brother" attitude must be curbed here! Or it will set a precedent for other things! If this continues one day it may be illegal to read anything other than Canadian magazines or books.

Another factor to consider is they seem to be ignoring completely the Supreme law of Canada, The Canadian Constitution!!

Here is a related excerpt:

Section 52: The Constitution is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force or effect.

Section 2

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a)Freedom of conscience and religion;

(b)Freedom of thought, belief opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other means of communication;

(c)Freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d)Freedom of association.

Perhaps our government feels that they are not subject to constitutional provisions. You be the judge. Clearly they are trying to discourage International competition, protecting the cable monopolies and hiding it behind "Canadian Culture" excuses.

We have spent the last 40 years telling the Russians it was immoral to block broadcasts but yet our government is doing the exact same thing here in Canada!

As "free" people, Canadians should have the right to choose what we watch in the privacy of our homes. We should not be forced to watch CBC simply because a government agency has decided that CBC is better than USA network and so USA network is purposely made unavailable to you.

After the Supreme Court of Canada ruling in April, 500,000 - 700,000 Canadians were instantly turned into criminal’s because of what they watch on their TV's in the privacy of their own homes.

A country deemed to be the gold standard for multiculturalism makes it a crime for immigrants to watch programming in their own language, unless it's provided by the two government-sanctioned purveyors of satellite TV -- Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice

The Supreme Court's ruling against "grey market" satellite TV operators has put Canada in the fine company of North Korea and Iraq. Yet, while Ottawa is cracking down on foreign satellite signals, even Iran has reformed its Mad Mullah ban on satellite dishes.

Sign this petition to show our Government that this "Big Brother" attitude will NOT be tolerated! Let the people decide what they want to watch WITHOUT government intervention. To be free includes freedom of choice!

Be sure to pass this on to every Canadian you know.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
I hate the CRTC and their miserable simsub rule!!!!!!!!! This law has forced me every year to book a motel room in a US Border State in order to watch the Super Bowl there so I can see the those great
TV ads during the game.
There is no democracy in Canadian television.I pay my cable bill to be able to watch American channels only to have them taken over by CTV or Global.This yearly trip of mine cost me money,
but I refuse to be ruled by those communist dictators at the CRTC anymore during Super Bowl Sunday.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I disagree with Thruxtonian's statement on "commercial substitution". The fact is that it's not only the commercials that are substituted. If it was just that, I wouldn't mind. When simultaneous substitution is performed, EVERYTHING is modified. Most importantly, the show is presented with a logo of a network that has never been involved with the show's production and the previews for the next week's episode are pre-empted.

Also, it's not true that simultaneous substitution is the only way for small local advertisers to get air time. U.S. broadcast networks have a certain number of minutes per hour set aside for local ads. Local advertisers in Montreal use this to their advantage by buying local spots on cross-border affiliates such as WFFF (Fox) in Burlington, VT.

As for the "broadcast rights" issue, regarding the claim that no one other than the multinationals would be able to buy worldwide rights, why won't broadcasters like CTV and Global do like Fox did by making most of the programming shown on their networks in-house with their own studios. That way, shows don't need to be bought and sold. You make it yourself and you show it yourself! If you can't do that, you're useless and you should be put out of business!

·
Registered
715 Posts
This yearly trip of mine cost me money,
but I refuse to be ruled by those communist dictators at the CRTC anymore during Super Bowl Sunday.
Let me get this straight. You pay money out of your own pocket (and I'm talking on the order of a motel room, not $1 or $2) to WATCH COMMERCIALS?!?!?

The terrorists have won.

EDIT: Besides, you know that if you watch it on the American HD channels, you get the American commercials for free...and most of those in HD too.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I think there should be a rule put in place for the CRTC. If specific American specialty network is not covered sufficiently (all the programs - 90% of the programs) by a Canadian network or Canadian Specialty Channel there should be a motion put forth to have these shows picked up and put on a Canadian Network/Specialty Channel (also: you wouldn't pick up a design show and put it on SexTV the specific genre would have to make sense to the network). Or put out the motion for a new specialty channel. If no one wants to put pick the shows up the American channel is approved and brought into the Cable / Satellite Programming offereings.

Example of my idea:

Oxgen Network (Oprah Harpo Channel) is not sufficiently covered by a Canadian Specialty Network. So there would be a motion put out for possible Canadian buyers. W! Network would fit the genre of Oxgen and if there schedule had room they would be able to pick it up. Or if there is not a current specialty channel available that fits the genre or has no time slots available or doesn't want to pick the shows up than the American feed of the Oxgen Network would be automatically approved.

Unless the CRTC gets there act together and offers Canadian all of the American programming one way or another than people will continue to use grey-market DTV and Dish Network.

---------------------------

Somebody was talking about the sim-subbing how the entire slot of for example desperate housewives on ABC had the local CTV feed put rate over it. I can see how this upsets people. If the local CTV broke down the timeslot with the commercials in-sync with the ABC commercial time-slots they could easily feed the CTV stream during each ABC commercial break. I mean that would make things 100 X easier if CTV during primetime matched there commercial slots exactly to the CBS / ABC / NBC / FOX commercial slots during that show. So they could automatically feed in the commercials.

Honestly though, the only time people actually want to watch commercials are during the big big event where they make 1 time only commercials with celebs during the Super Bowl, and Oscars.

------------------------------

Second thing, would someone experienced in the knowledge of sim-subbing explain what the rules on it are?

My example, I have a cable co (Westman Communications Group) that serves roughly 80 000 people, My local USA Nets (CBS Minneapolis, NBC Minneapolis, ABC Detroit, FOX Rochester) are always the american commercials - I have never experienced simsubbing on any of these networks. My cable co does get there feed of Cancom with could maybe explain this:

TBS, CNN, and few other specialty USA nets are bombarded with SC commercials - I have seen every single SC commercial made:eek: Here in Brandon Manitoba we get our CBC from an affiliate (not CBC owned) which is CKX (unique situation actually, its a CBC affiliate that carries the minimum CBC programming which has lots of CityTV programming and is owned by CHUM now owned by Bell Globalmedia) Would the reason I don't see simsubbing in my region is due to only having 1 local TV station that has very little American Shows (sometimes American Funniest HV or Everybody Hates Chris). I do get CTV, Global, CityTV Winnipeg. Anyways I don't understand how this sim-subbing works - I don't get any of it on my US nets like other people complain about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NBA league pass was not approved by the CRTC also. That's sucks! I just don't get it why? People are willing to pay extra to watch them so why can't they approve it? Is this a communist country?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Let me get this straight. You pay money out of your own pocket (and I'm talking on the order of a motel room, not $1 or $2) to WATCH COMMERCIALS?!?!?

The terrorists have won.

EDIT: Besides, you know that if you watch it on the American HD channels, you get the American commercials for free...and most of those in HD too.

I love the USA anyway,including their beer,so I don't mine going,the next trip in Feburary 2007 for the Super Bowl is also to find out about buying
US Satellite TV and become a criminal in the eyes of the communists masters in Ottawa.

·
Registered
59 Posts

The terrorists have won.

I should have answered you question directly,do I go to the USA watch the
TV commericals - my answer, YES I SURE DO,but at least for the weekend
I am in a free country where the CRTC cannot get me.
I thought I was the only person in Canada who hates simsubs until I read the pages of complaints.The policy of simsubing should be abolished,but the
reality is that will never happen.The government will never bow to the will of the people - just recall when the GST was implemented over the protests of millions of Canadians taxpayers - The CRTC is hell bound and determined
never to allow access to dozens of American channels I see on my weekend visits to the States.
Yes sadly the terrorists have won here,I cannot fight the government so their simsub policy forces me out of the country every Super Bowl Sunday.
My motel room is already booked for Feburary 4,2007.
If there is some way to help change the simsub law,I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
59 Posts

The terrorists have won.

I should have answered you question directly,do I go to the USA watch the
TV commericals - my answer, YES I SURE DO,but at least for the weekend
I am in a free country where the CRTC cannot get me.
I thought I was the only person in Canada who hates simsubs until I read the pages of complaints.The policy of simsubing should be abolished,but the
reality is that will never happen.The government will never bow to the will of the people - just recall when the GST was implemented over the protests of millions of Canadians taxpayers - The CRTC is hell bound and determined
never to allow access to dozens of American channels I see on my weekend visits to the States.The Supreme Court ruling that requires Canadians to purchase satellite TV from only 2 Canadian sources is further proof of the ongoing Anti-American bias that infects this nation.
Yes sadly the terrorists have won here,I cannot fight the government alone
so their simsub policy forces me out of the country every Super Bowl Sunday.
My motel room is already booked for Feburary 4,2007.
If there is some way to help change the simsub law,I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Right on NOAA2000!
Thanks for your support.I also want to say that I'm an NFL fan & am going to the States to watch the game & those great ads that have become part of the Super Bowl.For too many years I stayed home & was forced by the
CRTC dictators to watch the simsub broadcast of the game on Global TV with same old boring ads that are shown throughout the year.Finally in 2004 I had simply had enough & just said,using that famous quote:

"I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"!!!!!!!!!!

I've been watching the game ever since 2005 in a US motel room free at least for the weekend from the CRTC.Such a wonderful feeling to watch the Super Bowl on a US channel with some good food and cold American beer by my side & absolutely no simsubing down there.Yes this is a drastic expensive measure for me to take,but for one weekend out of the year,I refuse to be forced to bend to the will of Canadian censorship.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
A lot of people in canada get the grey-market US satellites for non-canadian-ized TV programs - but I have a side question. There is a small but strong amount of Americans that use Canadian satellite co's. I don' think they allow timeshift in the USA (In Canada 90% of the TV stations are owned by the actual network with the exception of a few) The USA is pretty much 80% affiliates and the major networks own stations in NY or LA. So I think regions are only able to broadcast 1 affiliate of a network. So if my thinking on this is correct Star Choice / BEV basic service would be benificial for Timeshifts in Canadian and your Spokane/Seattle & Detroit/Buffalo/Boston.

·
Registered
59 Posts
October 1,2006
Sunday evening

Once again,ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! the stupid simsub law screws up tv.I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS.The football games delayed the normal 8pm start time of the show.At 9pm Atlantic Time half way through the show the simsub kicks in & CTV overrides the CBS feed & the Amazing Race is now being shown there.I MISSED THE LAST HALF HOUR OF 60 MINUTES ALL BECAUSE OF THE CRTC AND THEIR GODDAM RULES!!!!!!!!We have to do something to get this censorship outrage to end or were going to eventually lose all the
US stations in Canada if the CRTC communists have their way.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
October 1,2006
Sunday evening

Once again,ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! the stupid simsub law screws up tv.I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS.The football games delayed the normal 8pm start time of the show.At 9pm Atlantic Time half way through the show the simsub kicks in & CTV overrides the CBS feed & the Amazing Race is now being shown there.I MISSED THE LAST HALF HOUR OF 60 MINUTES ALL BECAUSE OF THE CRTC AND THEIR GODDAM RULES!!!!!!!!We have to do something to get this censorship outrage to end or were going to eventually lose all the
US stations in Canada if the CRTC communists have their way.
Wow your angry - as you should be. They should not have done that. If it cuts into a CBS show not offered on another Canadian channel in the region - which 60 minutes is not available anywhere but CBS. If CBS is late due to a sporting event which the canadian network that usually simsubs that timeslots does not carry that sporting event, there should be no simsubbing.

Luckily for me my cable co isn't important enough to simsub my CBS Minneapolis, NBC Mineapolis, ABC Detroit, & FOX Rochester.

Anyways that shouldn't have happened - cutting into a program not offered by another Canadian network. Damn CRTC.

28 Posts
I sent a copy of the open letter that begins To the CRTC and government of Canada to the CRTC.

It is amazing the CRTC will say have deregulated what Shaw and Rogers do. However shaw and rogers will say they follow the regulations of the crtc.

It seems as though both of them have paid off the crtc to look the other way. The crtc will focus on destroying the telecoms.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow your angry - as you should be. They should not have done that. If it cuts into a CBS show not offered on another Canadian channel in the region - which 60 minutes is not available anywhere but CBS. If CBS is late due to a sporting event which the canadian network that usually simsubs that timeslots does not carry that sporting event, there should be no simsubbing.

Luckily for me my cable co isn't important enough to simsub my CBS Minneapolis, NBC Mineapolis, ABC Detroit, & FOX Rochester.

Anyways that shouldn't have happened - cutting into a program not offered by another Canadian network. Damn CRTC.
Thanks westmanguy.Rogers Cable in NB needs to have better controls put in place at their offices to prevent another fiasco similar to the mess they made last night.Fortunately the segment on 60 Minutes that I wanted to see was on during the first half of the program,so while the simsub overide made me angry,that was tempered a bit since I did get to watch the complete interview before the 9pm
mess began.
Your cable co doesn't simsub!! I thought the CRTC law ordered all cables companies to do this,that is good news,you are very fortunate.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Your cable co doesn't simsub!! I thought the CRTC law ordered all cables companies to do this,that is good news,you are very fortunate.
My cable co is Westman Communications Group.. I actually live in a small town of 2500 served by Westman which is 15 minutes from Brandon MB (When your online and live in a small community you say you live in the closest city to you - safety reasons) Anyways I get all the same services as Brandon MB does, so I have never lied about anything in my posts. Anyways I have NEVER experienced simsubs on any of my USA Networks (WCCO CBS Minneapolis, KARE NBC Minneapolis, WXYZ ABC Detroit, WUHF FOX Rochester). My cable co must not care enough to put the effort out to simsub for a community of 2500. Except my cable co gets these stations from Cancom (yes Cancom does carry Minneapolis), yet no simsubs My cable co does get their feed from SC Cancom and my TBS, CNN, and a few other USA specialty channels are intercepted by SC commercials (I have seen every single SC their is!!) So is this the original Cancom feed untampered by my cable co? Except the thing I am worried about now is I am getting a HD TV this Boxing Day Sales (50 inch) and upgrading to HD and I will be getting CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS HD Detroit Feeds and Rogers Sports Net HD. (2.95 / month). I am worried about simsubbing on these channels. They probably are Cancom feeds too. We'll see.

Anyways we'll see if I get HD simsubs:confused:, but I have escaped the peril of simsubs on my regular US nets :p. Although I end up watching Canadian networks anyways. My CBS, and NBC are not in digital (analog) so I only get ABC, FOX, & PBS in digital - Which makes me sometimes switch over to CTV or Global for the sake of digital quality. I have never had problems with CTV ever. I never watch Global TV unless for timeshift reasons - sometimes Global forgets scenes from next ep.

41 - 60 of 589 Posts