Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

561 - 580 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Oh, you are correct about the PDF version link. I never noticed it before, but all I get is a PDF version of the page you previously seen. When I look at yesterday's decision regarding CJLO radio in Montreal. The decision is on the page.

Here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2015/2015-21.htm

·
Registered
56 Posts
CRTC Does what parliament tells them to do despite their own policies. In 1983 the Federal Liberals allowed the shutdown of CJCB television in Sydney and CKCW television in Moncton. Since 1983; CTV has raped these two cities of Millions of dollars of LOCAL advertising without airing 1 minute of LOCAL daily programming-a direct violation of a long standing CRTC policy! This STILL continues today!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Logos , who to complain to?

Who do I make a formal complaint to re. Those stupid television logos sitting in the middle of my screen. Absolutely ridiculius. Animal planet is like almost in the middle.

Who do I contact? Crtc? Telus?

Reactions: Dougofthenorth

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
The CRTC doesn't regulate the placement of logos. Telus has no control what Animal Planet shows on their channel. If you want to complain to anyone, you should complain to the station owner, although it sounds like it's the way it should be for compatibility with centre-cut CRTs. I responded to your original post in the appropriate thread with more detail.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2429730

·
Registered
1 Posts
The CRTC needs to lose the reigns. It is absurd that we can't watch USA shows here in Canada. USA has all the best new released, shows, movies and access to the movies. I can't get digital copies of certain movies in Canada to watch online anytime yet the same movie purchased in the USA can be watched digitally online. Disney Anywhere is a prime example.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
That's not the CRTC, that's the US owner selling the rights to a Canadian company that doesn't do anything with them. Disney could stream its stuff into Canada if it wanted to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
RE: "Who do I make a formal complaint to re. Those stupid television logos sitting in the middle of my screen. Absolutely ridiculous. Animal planet is like almost in the middle. Who do I contact? Crtc? Telus? "

A&EHD also does not dim their logo anymore- it is bright all the time &
they are also continuously advertising other programs with a bright banner besides the logo is this even legal? - ie max number of minutes of adverts per hour

I predicted years ago that we will loose the TV screen as it is & will become full of adverts like a frickin, web page

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The CRTC thinks they know whats best for us vids? 17 Videos

So the CRTC thiunks they kbow whats best for us vids 17 vids

1)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

Really CRTC?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Maybe he could help summarize the point. The first 3 vids are all identical, I watched the first 5 minutes of the first, then skipped ahead several times throughout and see nothing about the CRTC. It's just a panel of videogame experts talking about the industry. So I gave up on the other videos.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
The most useless of all the useless government bodies. Did anyone else catch the interview with the Heritage Minister on CTV Question period (?) Another prize performer from the PMs appointment box. Ugh!

·
Registered
373 Posts
So much of what I read in that article just made me sick to my stomach. We need to just disband the CRTC already.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The CRTC, as much as a lot of people like to gripe about, is essential for a country so small bordering on one so powerful. If every channel were like CTV, I shudder to think what it would mean to be Canadian. Judging from their schedule, it would be a lot like being an American.

And speaking of Americans, all their awards shows, entertainment laws, rules, FCC regulations are designed to protect Americans first: writers, companies, media outlets, etc.
Just take a look at the recent Grammy Award nomination lists. Best Rock category was a joke, if you listen to music from outside America.

There are nearly one million Canadians living, working, whatever in southern California. There isn’t a single, Canadian TV channel on any cable or satellite list I know. How many Americans live in southern Ontario, and how many American channels are available there?

Why would that be? Don’t say the shows are crap, because a lot of U.S. shows are crap. Protectionism is alive and well in U.S. media. But the difference between Canada & the U.S. is Canada protects culture, while the U.S. protects corporations.
As far as Super Bowl commercials go, they’re available en masse the minute the game ends. Everywhere. They’re commercials.
Sorry (my CDN culture showing through), but the CRTC, for all it’s flaws, creates a thriving base for creative, employment and artistic expression.

Surely that’s worth something. The CRTC isn’t perfect, but it’s necessary.

PS - the Super Bowl spots were mostly a waste this year, as you can see on Youtube.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Why would that be?
Don't forget, this started after WW2, when there was no Canadian television. Border stations started appearing in the U.S. shortly after the war, but there were no TV stations in Canada until 1952. So, Canadians started out watching U.S. TV as that was all that was available. Once people have something it's hard to move them away from it. One thing Canadian stations did, before simsubs, was to broadcast a show before it aired in the U.S..

561 - 580 of 589 Posts