now it has 5,

all 360's had optical audio, now its on the actual system,

I personally think wifi is a waste of time if you are a hardcore gamer,
but having wireless "n" is significantly better than "g'

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
..and of course the hard drive is still proprietary - that's one thing I wish Microsoft would abandon, but we all know that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Oh well, at least it's 250GB - not bad for game installs and game saves.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought one yesterday just because. It's a pretty slick machine. It is very shiny and the black case and silver trim really compliment my media set up.

I seem to think it's a faster machine as well as the dashboard loads and operates very quickly. The controls are touch operated (much like those heat sensitive elevator buttons from years ago).

I really like it.

John

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
seems like there pulling a nintendo .

how many iterations are we going to have of the same thing?

I cant see paying 300 for 6 year old tech. considering you get a bluray drive with the competition at that price point.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
very true. well maybe ican get a cheap arcade for 100 bucks out of this refresh. would make a great pvr/ media center!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
having a bluray player and a more capable media center would be huge selling features for the 360,
although I haven't tried to use my 360 as a media center for steaming and watching saved movies/shows since I got my PS3,
I remember it to be quite lacking in comparison,

I'm moving to a much larger place and I was planning on buying at least 1 maybe 2 more PS3's to use strictly as media centers for different rooms, they are so cheap and user friendly media centers, my wife uses my current ps3 far more than I do
with wireless n, a 360 might be in contention, but having the blu ray I'll probably be giving my money to sony,

360 still is and will always be my main gaming system until the next gen of consoles comes out,

I could see a "new" 360 making its way in place of my current 360 anyway,
probably when kinect comes out

looking around "old" elites can be had pretty cheap now with a couple of games

·
Registered
88 Posts
My PS3 has 4 USB ports. Maybe the slim ones has only 2 USB Ports. I use both PS3 (wireless g) and Xbox 360 (hardwired) for streaming. No issues with either.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The New Xbox has a few more creature comforts (don't get me started on RROD) but its core functionality is the same as my old XBOX. It can't play any new games that I can't play.

MS would have a real problem on their hand if they opened the door to Blu Ray games. Not only from customers but developers as well since the install base would shrink considerably.

The next time I get RROD'd (going for 3!) and it's not warranty repaired then I'll pick up a New 360. Till then, I will continue playing the same games that everyone will be playing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My PS3 has 4 USB ports. Maybe the slim ones has only 2 USB Ports. I use both PS3 (wireless g) and Xbox 360 (hardwired) for streaming. No issues with either.
PS3 hasn't had 4 usb ports for a long time, only the early 1's did,
my fat 80g only has 2

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
MS would have a real problem on their hand if they opened the door to Blu Ray games.
Agreed. They can't go from a ten+ year old technology like DVD to a modern optical disc in the same generation of console. They'll need to save that for their next-gen offering.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Anyone upgrade from an older 360 to the new Slim?
I'm probably going to do it, but want to ensure I can transfer my data from my old 250GB to the new Slim.
I have the transfer kit, but if I'm not mistaken, the new drive is connected to the USB cable while the old one is supposed to be docked on the system, but that obviously can't be done on the Slim.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks to the recent changes with firmware when they added USB Storage capability it's now very easy to transfer your data. Simply plug your old HDD into the transfer cable and plug the cable into a USB port on your Xbox. A prompt will come up when you boot your Xbox and you can then perform the transfer....now transfer disc required as in the old days.

After that's all done you'll have to migrate your conent licenses:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Video tutorial by Major Nelson:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D42744BA-71F6-4710-B397-FEF9D7A49802/0/vidlicenseTransferNXEHi.asx

BTW the 250gb on the slims is in fact docked with the console. It's simply much smaller and is located behind a cover and pulls out.

A recent poster described his experience transferring conent to his new 250gb HDD:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1125687&postcount=4

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
@the hawk, I saw that post, but his was opposite, the 20GB was docked in his console, and the new 250GB was on USB. For me, the old 250GB will be on USB and the new 250GB will be docked, that's why I'm concerned.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No need to worry....it'll work fine.

When the "transfer content" screen comes up on your Xbox it'll give you 3 choices

1)transfer from console
2)transfer to console
3)no

In your case since you want to transfer from your old 250gb to the slim's 250gb you would select#2.

Here's video I found of a guy doing exactly what you are inquiring to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad6HC7WIheE

21 - 39 of 39 Posts