Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While everyone seems to be focusing on Kinect (formerly, Project Natal), I think the New XBox 360 (yes, that's its official name) is a bit more exciting.

- Built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi
- 250GB custom hard drive (not compatible with original 360)
- smaller & quieter design
- Touch-sensitive controls for power on & disc eject
- Dedicated Kinect port (on the original 360, you'll need USB & power cables)
- 5 USB ports
- Optical Out on the console itself

I think that covers the main improvements. The original units (Arcade & Elite) will be sold until supplies run out, and then discontinued. By that point I'm sure they'll introduce an Arcade variant of the new design to bring back the $199 price point.

Pricing for the new XBox 360 will be $299 and should be available in retail later this week (apparently they were shipping today).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
no bluray player? WFT? :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The folks over at destructoid were "playing" with the new console and discovered that moving it while a disk was spinning inside is not such a good idea.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems-176508.phtml

Common sense says not to do it but I can think of a few occasions where I needed access to the back of the PS3 and did indeed either pick it up or turn it around while a disk was spinning. You would think that something like a game console would be a little more......robust I guess is the best choice.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Finally they fixed the optical output issue. Maybe now they can also drop the adapter down from $50 for us old model users.

The biggest key for me is that the hard drive still looks proprietary. So they milked users to the extreme with their old hard drives and are continuing to do so again?

Not enough here for me to upgrade, and if my system dies I won't be getting a fourth one.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Too bad they didn't give it a distinctive new name or a Blu-ray player, but the black case looks nice and blends in with most HT gear now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I too am disappointed with the unit still lacking Blu-Ray. You'd think if they were going to redesign and relaunch the thing they would have learned the value of such an option by now. They had the separate HD-DVD drive available during the format wars. They cite the fact that they can stream HD content such as movies to you, but really I think it all boils down to the fact they will never concede to paying Sony for the B/R Disk licensing.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
At this point in time, it makes little sense to include a BD player.

Stand-alone players are much cheaper and a BD player would increase cost which isn't wise.

Besides, as stated, MS prefers online via physical media.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The folks over at destructoid were "playing" with the new console and discovered that moving it while a disk was spinning inside is not such a good idea.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-new-xbox-same-old-disc-destroying-problems-176508.phtml

Common sense says not to do it but I can think of a few occasions where I needed access to the back of the PS3 and did indeed either pick it up or turn it around while a disk was spinning. You would think that something like a game console would be a little more......robust I guess is the best choice.
I tripped over the mic cord while playing rockband,

the old 360 will destroy discs too if you move it

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm more interested in finding these "older" 360's for deals now. Walmart in the US will sell you an Arcade with 2 games for $150....and you get a free $50 Walmart gift card. So, like $99.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm glad they didn't put a BR drive in. It would just run the price up ~$50 with no benefit whatsoever to gaming. It's not like they can decide to start releasing games on BR instead of DVD mid-generation, and alienate the rest of their install base.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^

True, they certainly don't want to alienate their (significant) installed base, but how much longer will they be able to compress game content onto DVD before they find themselves unable to keep pace with the competition?

I think they're faced with a painful decision...admit they were wrong about BD or admit that the product doesn't have the ten year life cycle that originally planned for.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think the 250 gb hard drive might allow for some larger games to come from DVD,

I install all my games to the HD anyway,
runs quieter, cooler and faster

I think Microsoft is banking on digital copies to be the future, downloads and online purchaces,
much like the iPod has done to music,
I can't think of anybody who actually buys cds still,

a year ago I wouldn't have been sold on digital copies,
but with netflix and on demand, and what not, taking over the movie industry,
how long is it going to be before the gaming industry goes the same way?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a rather humorous note, it looks like Microsoft wants to officially put the "RRoD" fiasco to rest. While time will tell if the new 360 fails or not, you will never see a red ring on the new console. Microsoft removed the red LEDs from the ring of light entirely. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Now when your machine dies the tray opens with a special Mr. Yuck sticker and a prompt for you to insert your credit card.

MS is playing some fun games with semantics right now.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good one! :)

The actual power indicator does have a red LED, and that's what you'll see - a small, single red LED in the middle of the power button. So now it'll be more like:

"Open the DVD tray HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I cannot do that"

I don't know of many Jasper units that have failed due to RRoD, so perhaps they have been able to fix that issue a fair bit. The fact that the new system has an integrated CPU/GPU/GPU memory combined with a much cooler-running system does lend some hope that the system will be more reliable.

On that note, Anandtech posted an article that gave power & noise levels. In terms of power, this system at full load uses less power (and is almost as quiet) as a Jasper unit idling. They also cut down standby power from 2W to 0.6W.

·
Registered
324 Posts
All of these incremental changes and various system specs are what drove people many away from pc gaming to consoles.

I have a relatively new xbox (jasper) but still feel like it's out-dated by this one. Intellectually I know that it doesn't offer me anything mine doesn't have, but for some reason...:confused:

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Another hands on review:

If it had Blu-ray, I would buy one and get rid of my BR player.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 39 Posts