Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been discussed at all, but I recently signed up to FibeTV (from Bell TV Sat). Since I subscribe to TMN, I was excited about their on demand selection. It would give me the ability to watch all the HBO series and Movies I would normally have to record, but watch them whenever I want. (Which also made me wonder why I needed a PVR at this point if I could watch most shows whenever I wanted lol)

But once I actually started watching them, I noticed none of them (so far) are in 5.1 surround. And most of them are way more compressed then watching it live. You can definetly see more artifacts then watching it Live

So it would seem the VOD is totally useless for anyone with a 5.1 setup because most movies are in 5.1 when broadcast live on TMN. I've watched the occasional movie where 5.1 doesn't really matter as much... but even in your average movie, 5.1 does make a big difference in the movie watching experience.

Has anyone come accross a TMN VOD movie or TV show that was in 5.1?

·
Super Moderator
56,528 Posts
This may be specific to Bell Fibe. I believe this material is kept on their servers and not at TMN. On Rogers the TMN/HBO-OD programming that I've watched (I haven't watched a lot but a few items that I missed) is HD and DD5.1. Your provider may have limited bandwidth and server space.

Suggest you contact TMN and Fibe. TMN are usually very responsive. Include all the appropriate information:

- provider, channel, time/date, programme, your location, etc.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I believe Rogers On Demand is part of their VOD service so it is full bandwidth. Bell's TMN On Demand service is internet based so bandwidth is limited and poor quality is the norm. Even worse, Bell's TMN On Demand adds to your internet usage so heavy TMN On Demand use can result in large UBB overage fees.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ScaryBob Are you use about about the VOD using your internet monthly allowace?

I find this unlikely. I also went to check out my Data Usage for this past Saturday since I watched 2 VOD HD movies. My data usage for this day was 235 megs.

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
FIBE IPTV traffic definitely DOES NOT count as part of your internet allowance, whether it's broadcast channels or VOD.

Bell's bandwidth allocation is the same whether it is transmitting TMN live or from VOD, so the fact that it is VOD doesn't make any difference in bandwidth. If you receive DD5.1 on TMN live, you should be able receive DD5.1 on TMN VOD - they will take the same bandwidth.

I agree with 57, contact Fibe and TMN.

·
Super Moderator
56,528 Posts
Please do not confuse TMN-OD and TMN-OD online. The latter is accessed via computer and counts towards internet usage, whereas the former is accessed via TV and doesn't count towards internet usage (Bell satellite or Cable companies).

However, with "fibre", I don't believe there is a difference is there since it's "one pipe"? And there is no "cap"?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I was talking about TMN Online. I didn't realize that it was treated differently for FibeTV subscribers. With Bell TV, TMN Online does count towards the cap.

Hellspawnt said:
FibeTV (from Bell TV Sat)
I've got to wonder if the OP is a little confused. Is it FibeTV or is it Bell Satellite TV? Is TMN being accessed through FibeTV On Demand or TMN Online with Fibe Internet?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well, I agree with the the OP. TMN On Demand (on Fibe) is rarely DD5.1 in my experience.

The Internet and TV portions of the service run on different VLANs, so there is no chance of TV usage impacting your Internet billing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts