Rotten Tomatoes, a popular online aggregator of film reviews, today announced its 11th annual Golden Tomato Awards , which pay tribute to the best and worst reviewed films of the past year.
Pixar's "Up" takes home the Golden Tomato Award for Best Reviewed Wide Release Film of the Year, the studio's sixth Wide Release win.
"Up" marks the eighth time an animated movie has won Best Wide Release ("Wall-E," "Ratatouille," "Wallace & Gromit: the Curse of the Were Rabbit," "The Incredibles," "Finding Nemo," "Chicken Run," "Toy Story 2")
The action-packed war epic "The Hurt Locker" won the Award for Best Reviewed Limited Release Film of the Year.
Films are ranked according to their "Tomatometer" scores, which are based on the published opinions of more than 200 top film critics as aggregated by the web site.
The worst-reviewed film of 2009 and recipient of the Moldy Tomato Award is video game-adaptation "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li."
The following is a category-specific list of Golden Tomato Award Winners:
- Action / Adventure: "The Hurt Locker"
- Animation: "Up"
- Comedy: "In the Loop"
- Documentary: "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"
- Drama: "An Education"
- Foreign: "Afghan Star" (Afghanistan)
- Horror: "Drag Me to Hell"
- Kids / Family: "Where the Wild Things Are"
- Musical: "Crazy Heart"
- Romance: "Adventureland"
- Sci-Fi / Fantasy: "Star Trek"
- Thriller: "State of Play"
- Best Reviewed Australian Film: "Samson and Delilah"
- Best Reviewed UK Film: "An Education"
- Best User Reviewed Film: "Zombieland"