Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the second film "the girl who played with fire" fills in some of the blank spots from film one. Overall it is not quite as good but still worth watching. The third film "the girl who kicked the hornets nest" rounds out the trio. Not sure why the Americans want to remake a current film since they made such a mess of "Death at a Funeral".....but guess it is all about the money and the limited audience for Swedish films.

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
As mentioned in the first post here is the trailer for the 2011 Hollywood version.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3830160409

I find it very lame that they have come out with a remake only 2 years later.

Director: David Fincher
Writers: Steven Zaillian (screenplay), Stieg Larsson (novel)
Stars: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara and Stellan Skarsgård

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
One of the best edited trailers I've ever seen. Almost overwhelming when viewed in a theatre.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I hate the quick turnover remakes (see Let The Right One In. Never ever see Let Me In) a remake should have 2 decades between itself and the original title.

But Fincher is the man, and I would gladly pay out tomorrow if he were to do a remake of the Kings Speech. (bet old Edward may mention Hitler in that one).

I will see both versions of the Larsen films but I will see the Fincher first and I will be a bit of a hypocrite for doing so.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have zero interest in the American remakes.

I read all three books and saw "Tattoo" in theaters. Very good. Tough to make any of the books into film as they are so involved and detailed (and long) that six hours couldn't contain them. But the Swedish titles are very good. Having read the books helps.

Bought the Blu rays of these with the digital downloads. IPad plane fare.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Daniel Craig is a better looking Michael

I was surprised that the actor in the Swedish movies wasn't more attractive and/or charismatic. In the books, the character is portrayed as someone to whom women are attracted. I couldn't get that feeling at all from the Swedish actor. Daniel Craig fits that idea much better than the Swedish actor.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, the North American version is pretty good. I really only had a problem with the last part of the movie - I never read the book, but I'm assuming the original movie's version of how she chases down the villain and deals with him is more accurate. Aside from washing some blood from her hands I think Fincher's version makes her character slightly warmer and less asocial than she ought to be.

Fincher's opening title sequence is almost worth the price of admission alone...

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Dioneo, I agree with you about the last part of the film; it was far too rushed. I felt this movie could've been split into two parts and explain things in greater depth. They just scratched the surface. Maybe the two sequels will fill in some blanks.

The title sequence could stand on its own as a short art film!

Related to my previous question about the scenes of sexual violence - how does the Swedish version compare to Fincher's? I found the latter to be brutal and graphic, but it didn't ruin the rest of the film for me. I was scared to watch the Swedish film knowing I find that content extremely disturbing...should I give it a chance?

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
cooper83 said:
... how does the Swedish version compare to Fincher's? I found the latter to be brutal and graphic, but it didn't ruin the rest of the film for me. I was scared to watch the Swedish film knowing I find that content extremely disturbing...should I give it a chance?
I haven't seen the Americanized version of TGWTDT so I can't make a direct comparison but, FWIW, I found the violence in the Swedish version to be brutal but not nearly as bad as I was lead to believe (or as I have seen in other films). And although it is significant to the character of Salander, it represents a very minimal amount of screen time.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I haven't watched the original film in a while, and perhaps I've become a bit desensitized to the scene now, but I think the North American version was a bit tamer - even though I think it ran longer. Her revenge sequence might be a bit more brutal in the NA version however.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Having seen the Swedish and American films I find they are both very good in their own way although I think Noomi Rapace is slightly better but nothing much to choose between them really. I hope they make the other 2 now although if the box-office is low I guess they won't.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Probably better if they don't. The next two Swedish films were so inferior to the first as far as story and plot goes, IMO. If you renamed the characters and changed the cast you would never know the sequels were related to TGWTDT.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yellow bird

You need to see at least one of the Swedish films so you can see the funny yellow bird animation in the opening credits.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The guys who made the title sequence (with input from Fincher) released it on the web:

SFW, but intense. And the volume needs to be cranked ;)

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hmmm, have a hankering for some Zeppelin.

Cool video. Kinda has a James Bond feel to it, or something

21 - 38 of 38 Posts