Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beyond Blu-Ray: 2,000 movies on one disc
Posted: 05:49 PM ET
Just as we were all getting used to watching movies on Blu-Ray, Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia has developed a DVD that holds 1.6 terabytes of data - or about 2,000 movies. There is nothing like having your entire movie collection on one disc.
Interesting however, we just got off another war format and adoption of BluRay has been struggling for a bit even after HD DVD bit the dust so BluRay has struggled and very slowly been adopted (many from the mass of consumers don't own BluRay players yet). The industry should either give us a break or provide a format once for all. A 2K movie disc is quite impressive and wouldn't take too much footh print but how many people would actually enjoy minimising their movie library down to a disc or two (if one actually own that many movies :confused:). Can you imagine damaging a disc that contains all of your movies? :eek:

What are your thoughts? Do you think something like this would fly and render BluRay obsolete ? ;)

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/23/beyond-blu-ray-2000-movies-on-one-disc/

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Or do you cringe when you think about yet another new format that might force you to go out and buy "The Terminator" again for the fourth time?
This comment makes no sense. Since this appears to be a new storage medium only, and since it does not appear to offer resolution superior to that of Blu-ray, why would I buy a new copy of "The Terminator"? All I would do is store my existing copy of "The Terminator" - and other movies - onto it.

Unless this is faster and works better than a computer HDD, I don't see this taking off.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'll file this in the same category as the 8 layers BluRay disc that was making the news 2 years ago. Still all vapor today.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
HD is the flavour of the decade. Physical media is the way to watch it.

Nothing will change for a very long time. The home video market is still very strong.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Stretching the truth a bit that 2,000 movies will fit on 1.6TB. That works out to 800mb/movie - only true if you do a super-lossy compression to lower-than-dvd quality standards.

1.6TB sounds just about enough to fit a 3D blu ray version of the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy along with all the extras and supplements :)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
aw come on. Own more than 4,000 CD, LD, DVD, BD, none have any scratch at all (collection starts in 1987)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aw come on. Own more than 4,000 CD, LD, DVD, BD, none have any scratch at all (collection starts in 1987)
Here you go, save your entire collection on one disc for use and keep the original content secure for a lifetime!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Or just use thumbdrives. Who needs a disc when so many players can read video files on a thumbdrive or media card. You can do this right now without some vaporware disc that requires an expensive burner. By the time this disc comes to market and is affordable, we'll have flash drives of that same size if not more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts