Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Frame" a high definition television station which showcases fine art collections and award-winning photographs on your HDTV is coming to Star Choice.

The station, which was first introduced by Shaw Communications on its Calgary cable systems in July, will be available this Thursday on Star Choice HD channel 268.

The commercial-free station essentially turns your HDTV in an oversized Digital Picture frame dedicated to high quality HD imagery.

"The Frame" now offers photography and art lovers images from 16 galleries, including Canada Collects, Animal Kingdom, Water World, Birds of a Feather, The Seven Seas, Canadian Horizons, City Lights, Sands of Time, Gardens of Delight, and many others.

The galleries rotate every 30 minutes with images changing every 30 seconds. The images are augmented With rhythmic music which complements the artistic theme.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would be ok, if Starchoice had unlimited space to add channels.

However, considering the limitations, I wouldn't have personally chosen to add this either.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Actually, I am presently at my son's place in NW Calgary. I have been enjoying the Frame on Shaw and am glad it is to be a fixture on Star Choice since it would be a welcome showpiece for demonstrating satellite HD to visitors and has a nice musical backdrop.
However, 16 galleries are not enough to feed this as a standalone channel, the offerings including the music become repetitive. I doubt that it is a bandwidth hog with static pictures so that shouldn't be a problem. Some pictures look kinda fake or "photoshoppy".
If they can expand the galleries, the presentation should be worthwhile. Two thumbs up :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, this is one of those channels what could wait to be in HD when almost all the others are in place, but hey look on the bright side it is a "commercial-free station" lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
My new Philips HD set has a USB port, and when I plug in a memory key, it auto-finds any .jpgs and .mp3s and plays them... It is pretty cool to see your own photos at full res on a 47" screen.

The best showcase for HD is any sports event, which one can find almost any time of day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
:confused:

Hey I have an idea or two or three. Instead of the Frame and its still pictures how about this:

1. Moving pictures of football players. They could call it "NFL Network HD".

2. Moving pictures of golfers. They could call it "Golf Channel HD".

3. Moving pictures of historical documentaries. They could call it "History Channel HD".

All in favour.....?

·
Registered
483 Posts
BUT most people have gotten over the novelty of HD
I'd have to disagree... I help set up TV's for lots of people, and the majority don't have HiDef sets yet. And those that do often are not aware that those channels are even available to them. And many Star Choice customers don't even have a 505 box yet. So there is still lots of room to impress with HD images... although I would agree that the channel seems an odd choice, given bandwidth issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Really? Is this what TV has come to, a digital photo gallery? I guess soon after your done looking at the art on "The Frame" you can turn to "The Log" and enjoy your digital fire.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Frame

So has anyone determined what this will cost subscribers? I agree that using an HD station for something like this is only going usurp the space of a "useful" channel Not that there's anything wrong with promoting art...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bandwidth

Id Like to hear from the experts since these are static frames in theory this could be done without using the bandwidth of a normal HD feed in fact it could use a minute fraction of even an SD feed since its 0.033 FPS rather than 30 frames per second the big question do *C recievers have the capability to do this kind of thing or are they using a full HD signal for this. if its only using a small bandwidth then I say go nuts *C! But if it uses the full HD bandwith what a waste. Id rather have History Channel HD. or something else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not an expert, but the Starchoice rececievers do have a frame store as part of the DC II decoder. Sometimes on a channel change or during a loss of signal, a static image frame is displayed on the screen until the unit refreshes with the new decoded signal. I would imagine with some sort of coding, this frame store could be used for the 'Frame' service. If so, as you speculated it wouldn't use very much bandwidth at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if this was the case, then all equipment used by cablecos using Shaw Broadcast signal would need the same feature, in order to decode properly this signal. One of the reasons for adding The Frame to SC is to be able to have it available in all Shaw markets, not just the initial one (Calg or Edm, don't remember), without using costly fiber to send it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Is this why they took out TFO (763)?

-gmd

·
Registered
45 Posts
The cable distribution is basically the same as the DSR system in that it is a DC II decoder made by Motorolla. I'm guessing the frame buffer in it's decoder section would work the same as the DSR receivers. Actually, this is why Starchoice won't be going to Mpeg 4 anytime soon. It's my understanding that Shaw 'wraps' some of their feeds right from Shaw Broadcast satellite (Starchoice) onto their headend with a remod to make it compatible with the cableQAM modulation scheme. The delay to 8PSK was so the the cable operation could get re-jigged to receive 8PSK. In order to change to Mpeg 4, they'd have to re-encode so that their downstream set top boxes could see the signals since none of the current set tops can decode Mpeg4.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts