Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, this film is not for everyone. If you have seen all 3 movies before, this one is the same or just as good as the other 3. What makes it stand out is the 3D portion of it. The storyline is the same throughout all the 4 movies. When I watch these movies, I can't help but think at how the writers come up with the ideas. I had seen the trailer during the UP movie and thought it looked interesting. Well it was.

It is a fun ride from the start till the end. If you want to see you duck at the approaching body parts, this one is for you. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did and they never showed anything gory at all. Just the fact that it was in 3D and looked interesting, it was enough for me to warrant the price to go see it with my wife.

The first thing my wife asked me when we got out of the theatre was, "Did you tell me that they made a projector for home use that would be able to show 3D like we just saw?" to which I said no not really. However, if she asks me the question, that opens the door for a future upgrade....come on Blu-Ray and Panasonic! Make your magic sooner than possible! My wife likes 3D like me!!!

For those who haven't seen a 3D movie lately, it really isn't like the anaglyph of 2 colored lenses. After a while, these colored lenses gives me eyesores. The way they do it nowadays is so much more comfortable that it makes it appear (no pun) as if it looks natural to you.

The next 3D movies for us will be Toy Story 1 and 2 in October then Christmas Carol in November. Maybe Avatar in December but somehow, it doesn't look right to me. Too much CGI with normal people. I like all CGI but not like Avatar. Go see the trailer on the apple trailer web site and you'll see why.

·
Registered
643 Posts
My wife and I loved it as well. I had just seen "G-Force" a few weeks ago and thought the 3D was very well done there too. I hope it becomes a trend and that there is soon a way to duplicate it at home.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My wife and I loved it as well. I had just seen "G-Force" a few weeks ago and thought the 3D was very well done there too. I hope it becomes a trend and that there is soon a way to duplicate it at home.
If Avatar makes 3D work, and is the hit that Hollywood is hoping for, it will be a huge push for 3D.

Otherwise, IMHO it will become an interesting alternative, and possibly degenerate into being used to give so-so movies a push.

I saw the Avatar trailer, and am really looking forward to the movie. It is largely CGI, but so was 300. The set for 300 looking NOTHING like what you saw in the movie!

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Cameron , Panasonic and Hollywood mafia are hoping that Avatar will be the movie that will grab the home viewers attention. I for one will be looking out to see if it would be a reality at our house. ;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The entire Final Destination franchise was built on one entertaining gimmick - Death as Rube Goldberg.

At least 3D provided a whole new gimmick. Without it there would have been no point in making another FD.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You do have to wear special glasses, but they aren't red/blue (or similar combinations).

The 3D they're using in the theaters now uses polarized glasses. It actually works extremely well, and (at least for me) doesn't induce a headache like the red/blue ones did.

More info can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back in the 80's I had seen a 3D movie that actually had polarized lens. However, they were not even near as good as todays technology. If you even slightly moved your head one way or the other, you'd have ghosting images. You almost had to be seated right in the middle of the theatre. The movie was called Parasite.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's a home system out for the pc right now that uses the same kind of polarized glasses. It's made by Nvidia and works with hundreds of games already out there. Most interesting though is the fact it works with 3d field sequential videos and photographs. The 3d is EXACTLY the kind of quality you saw the The Final Destination. It's amazing actually. You need a special PC monitor too though. The whole thing runs around $550, but its the best money I've spent on my PC in a long while!

DC

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Actually, nVidia's 3D Vision uses shutter glasses. That's why they need power. If it was just polarized glasses, you wouldn't need power for them.

I also found that it wasn't quite as good as the ones used in theaters, though it definitely is miles ahead of the old red/blue glasses.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To me, this series, is like Friday the 13 type of deal. It's either you like or dislike, no in between. I do believe the 4th one was well made especially in 3D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts