Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Event (typographically stylized THE EVƎNT) is an American political thriller and science fiction television series created by Nick Wauters for NBC. The show centers on three plots: Sean Walker, a computer programmer, whose girlfriend is kidnapped; President Elias Martinez, who must deal with detainees at Mount Inostranka; and the detainees themselves and their non-terrestrial origin.
The network announced on May 7, 2010 that the show would be picked up as a series. The series premiered on September 20, 2010. The show was picked up for a full season order of 22 episodes by NBC on October 18, 2010

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just learned about this show and it looks kind of interesting.

Anybody been watching and care to comment on whether its worth looking at?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The first episode was all over the map.. jumping back and forth in time. But it settled down after and I am enjoying it. Good action.... lots of it...and a good story line. Worth a look.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'll let you know. I was looking forward to this show, but have been saving them on the PVR until I knew whether it was picked up for the season. Looks like I am safe now!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The first episode was all over the map.. jumping back and forth in time. But it settled down after and I am enjoying it. Good action.... lots of it...and a good story line. Worth a look.
Ditto.
I'm glad I gave it a chance after the first episode as I am really enjoying it.

·
Banned
434 Posts
Anybody been watching and care to comment on whether its worth looking at?
best show on tv right now, by quite a long way. the pilot was information overload, but each episode since then has been paced brilliantly. its a sci-fi, but there hasn't really been too much crazy stuff, so it has wide appeal. definitely give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Good show. Interesting mix of sci fi and action. Moving along at a much quicker pace than last year's Flash Forward, and way quicker than LOST.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Saying it's the best show on tv right now is just silly talk.

First episode I was almost laughing about the repetitive flash-all-over-the-place-backs. 13 years ago; 5 years ago; 8 months ago -- it went on and on and after 3 or 4 of them I literally started giggling. In the pilot they were doing this to establish the plot; lately they've done it more to establish the characters -- some of the flashbacks are very Lost-like (except that they keep telling you how many years/months/days ago the flashback happened).

It's intriguing and I'm along for the ride. The direction and camerawork is sometimes overbearing. It's good, not great.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Its one of my favourites. I'd put it just behind Fringe as far as the show that I look forward to the most each week.

I'm glad that it was ordered for a full season. Its filling the void left by Lost, 24, Heroes, Prison Break, Sarah Connor Chronicles and FlashForward all ending in the past couple years.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I predicted since pilot episode that The Event would be one of the ones to watch series. Pace was not too fast for the first few episodes if you didn't multitask when watching. In today's episode however the pace slows down a bit, perhaps a tad too slow for some.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm watching the show but I would say it's average at best as I don't find myself anticipating the next episode to see what happens (like when 24, Prison Break, Lost started) but I'll stick it out to see what happens.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Reminds me of x files

I may be confused but who tried to fly the plane into the President? The Aliens thwarted the attempt, but was it a false flag anyway. Anyway I am enjoying the show and aside from Fringe cant think of a better show.

I also watch Criminal Minds and Chuck.

On cable SGU and Dexter are probably better, but not as shiny new.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sorry to those who like the series - I have a feeling that the storyline is not all that great, and they are using the constant jumping around in time as a gimick to make the show seem more interesting.

It is a bit of an original idea for prime time TV - aliens captures in the far north, now finding out that some got away and have powers, threat to life as we know it. By making the storyline so hard to figure out and stretching it out so far, the series "seems" to be intesting.

However, IMHO, it is turning into a forumla action-adventure that is over the top in what you are asked to believe. For instance:
All the shooting in an FBI office - nobody else came to help? No massive manhunt for those who got away?

Also
An organization with this much power and nobody knows about them?

Also
The head of the CIA doing things personally, doing interrogations without the experts in the field, heading field missions in person - never happens! By the time you get that far up in a beaurocracy, you have no field skills left, and you have spent so much time playing politics and managing people that you are best to just make sure you are sending the best people to do a job you are no longer qualified - if you ever were.

Sorry, but the superhero underdog and the superhero agency head, as models we can buy into, are many years past their best-before date!

At least they are using a new gimick to keep people too confused to see what is happening. This gimick wears thing quickly - it was great to see Flashpoint move away from it for some episodes, but at least Flashpoint had stories you could buy into with characters who seems far more realistic.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have to laugh when people complain about jumping back and forth in time so much. Is it really that hard to follow? Besides all the stuff that happens in these flashbacks are exactly that: flashbacks. They're very quick, they don't linger, it's just backstory to understand motivations of characters.

My roommate and I watched the pilot and while I loved it, he hated it and made his predictions about what the story was actually about. I told him that even if he is right, it's the journey, not the destination. The masses flocked to see James Cameron's Titanic despite knowing how it would end!

I like the show for its fast pace, interesting setups, and for the long legs of Sarah Roemer! ;)

cheers,
supervij

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
205 Posts
First off, declaration of interest - I really enjoy shows in the scifi, political thriller, conspiracy area.

IF they're well done.

What seems to be killing shows in these genres is the attempt to cross them with other types of programming. So we get The Terminator series which goes off the rails in Season 1 trying to be a teen/young adult show part of the time. We get the show I can't remember the name of last year (High Gravity?) that tried to be Gray's Anatomy in Space. We get Rubicon, which is just an awful attempt to cross a middle aged relationships show with a bad episode of Frontline critiquing US foreign policy.

The crossing just doesn't work and ends up frustrating all parts of the market. If I want to see Gray's Anatomy, well, I can just watch that show. I can get cop shows anywhere. But good sci fi is hard to find.

I can't say that I totally dislike The Event, but the last episode particularly shows very bad signs of crossing. The Josh Ritter character and subplot seems pasted in to skew to a younger demographic, and not in a way that integrates with the core story.

I could overlook the formulaic writing, the bad acting, the 'look - we're Lost' overuse of flashbacks, and the plot inconsistencies if we were getting a fast moving, reasonably plausible, sci fi thriller. And it started that way - it was dumb, but I liked the pilot, especially when compared to pseudo-intellectual Rubicon and the all time worst offender in the 'crossing' category, FlashForward - a complete fraud, yet another police procedural positioned as sci fi.

But I could barely make it through the last episode this week. Too much Ritter, too much talking about nothing, too much verging into a police procedural/chase plot.

I don't hold out much hope The Event will get better. That leaves two shows still standing for me - V and Fringe.

I love Fringe this year - so close to X-Files, yet not derivative. Getting stronger each episode.

V could go either way. It was dissolving into a police procedural/chase mixed with young love (albeit with a lizard) arc, but seemed to pick up toward the end. We'll see.

It's not like great programming in this genre can't be done. Battlestar Galactica. On the political thriller side, Mi5 and, most of the time, 24.

So what's up TV creatives? Why do we get these weak crossing attempts?

Still waiting for HBO to do sci-fi.......(angels don't count)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I watched the first maybe 4 episodes and then.......I guess I realized I just didn't care to find out what happens. Mind you I just finished watching Lost this summer (all six seasons), so I couldn't help but feel like they were just trying to create the same sort of show.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The President/Aliens plotline is going just fine. I'm enjoying it and it seems realistic enough for me.

OTOH the other plotline with Sean/Leila plotline seems really hard to believe. First off they seemed to get from the southwest (can't remember exactly what state they were in, Texas maybe) back to Miami quite quickly. Plus they would have to be really stupid to go to the one place where they could expect either cops or the people who want to kill them might be, especially since they didn't have a gun.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I finally turned it off half way through the last episode. Too many plot holes and conveniences to drive the story.

For example, the radiolabelling for tracking purposes. There was some time discrepancies in the plot with the mole stealing additional quantities of the radio label and knowing which variant to take. Then, when they went to test the team to find out who the mole was they sent one guy with no backup.

It was overall getting a little too ridiculous for me, which is too bad because the story at the core of the show is intriguing. I just wish they did a better job telling it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts