Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the following might be a useful reference for matching eBooks, formats, and readers:

A few notes:
  1. Barnes & Noble ePUB is identical to normal ePUB but the DRM scheme is different. Therefore a book purchased from B&N can only be read on B&N readers (Nook, PC, mobile device).
  2. Amazon's primary format is .azw which is identical to mobi but the DRM scheme is different. Therefore books purchased from Amazon can only be read on Amazon readers (Kindle, PC, mobile devices).
  3. Amazon's alternate format is topaz and it is unique to Amazon readers and cannot be read on any other device.
  4. The Sony Reader also supports BBeB (LRF) ebooks which is a proprietary Sony format that is no longer used. All books purchased from the Sony store can be redownloaded in ePUB format.
  5. Diesel, ebooks.com. and Fictionwise sell books in multiple formats, but not all titles are available in every format. Some are available in both mobi and ePUB, so are available only in one of these.
  6. Most readers support PDF documents, but all of them have some degree of issue handling these. They all correct them to some degree for their hardware, but none are perfect.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True .... calibre is an awesome tool.

That said, the purpose here is to identify compatible readers, formats, and bookstores because of DRM issues, not just file formatting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Playing Overdrive WMA AudioBooks on Sony eReader?

The Toronto Public Library has many Audiobooks that are NOT available in eBook format.
While I can download these books into my Overdrive Media Console I cannot move them to my Sony Reader Library and play them on my Sony Reader.
The Sony PRS-600 is capable of playing some audio files. Is there a way to manipulate the file to allow it to be moved and played on the Sony reader ??

·
Registered
461 Posts
Correct me if I'm wong by my Sony eReader doen't have a speaker built in. How would an audio book work on it?

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Headphones. Connection on the bottom - like an iPod. Here are the formats accepted by my Sony PRS-650 from my Operating Manual:

 MP file (.mp file extension)
The following specifications should be met in order
to import an MP file.
– Bit rate: 2 to 20 kbps
– Sampling frequency: 22.05, 44.1 kHz
– File must be unsecured.
 AAC file (.mp4, .m4a, .mov, or .qt file extension)
The following specifications should be met in order
to import an AAC file.
– Bit rate: 40 to 20 kbps
– Sampling frequency: 24.0, 44.1, 48.0 kHz
– File must be unsecured.

I'm assuming that there may be some software that can convert WMA to MP3/AAC? Of course we don't really want to discuss piracy-type programmes that would remove the DRM flag from the file (Library books are only readable/listenable for up to 21 days). The library does have some audio books available as MP3, however, most are WMA.

Does Calibre (mentioned above) do audio?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry I have ...

Sony model PRS-350 = no audio support.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The chart should probably show Kobo books' "native" format as kepub -- a variation on epub that is unique to Kobo. Yes, you can download a Kobo epub for almost all titles (I do that, as back up), but the devices -- Original Kobo, Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch -- all use the kepub format.

What's nice about kepub is is does not require Adobe ADE to unlock the files so you can open your cloud library on multiple devices without Adobe ADE being present.

Kepub also allows Kobo developers to provide enhanced features (evident mainly on Kobo Touch and possibly some of the apps for ipad, Android, Blackberry, etc) including more fine-grained control of display such as margins, line spacing and point size.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm having trouble converting BC library books to a format my kindle touch can support. I've downloaded the book through Adobe Digital Editions to the ePub format and tried with Calibre, but I come up with a fail to convert because of DRM. I've also downloaded "ePub to Kindle Maker" from the cnet site, but get a "failed" when trying to convert to mobi. Does anyone have an idea where I'm going wrong, or are some titles not possible to convert because of DRM?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks, all. I guess we'll have to sign up at my parents' library in Fla. when we visit in March.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts