Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big movie coming out on Blu-ray today. The Dark Knight global gross is around a $1 billion so this should be a big seller on Blu-ray.

This thread is for discussing the Blu-ray movie and features!

(please no, where can I get the best deal discussion, that is for the deals forum!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
MUST HAVE BLU-RAY!! I am planning on going out at Lunch to pick this up, if I can find it. Freezing rain be damned.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't think anyone will have trouble finding it on Blu-ray from what I've seen... my closest FS had BD copies of all 3 versions everywhere.

And I've read HMV has vast piles of it as well for their 1 day sale.

I really can't wait to watch the movie again... Friday night can't come soon enough. :D

·
Registered
614 Posts
Picked up my steelcase copy this afternoon but won't be watching it until tomorrow night. I hope the changing aspect ratios are not too distracting.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Picked up my steelcase copy this afternoon but won't be watching it until tomorrow night. I hope the changing aspect ratios are not too distracting.
I picked up the steelcase copy today(warming up to those)
The aspect ratio changes are almost seemless! Not distracting at all IMHO.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sorry, but how would it be "seemless"? There are black bars, and then there aren't - it's extremely noticeable, and hardly seemless.

Gord

·
Registered
366 Posts
maybe he meant seemless as in no pauses (like seemless branching)? anyways the aspect ratio changes did not jar me at all. i did, however, notice the haloing. i read alot about it but didn't want to make any judgment until i saw the actual disc. and along with Baraka, the haloing is noticeable. pretty much any scene where there was a dark silhouette against a bright background. brings me back to SW-Ep1 and Pirates of the Caribbean on SDDVD. it's a shame, but at least this movie isn't among my favourites (it's a good/not great for me). otherwise i'd be bothered.

i still think there's just way too much stuff in this movie, and no amount of editting-for-pacing could fix it (none of it is bad, mind you, but there is a point where adding more detracts from what's already in it). there were just too many inter-twined plots.

it's good to see BD-Live is for Canadians afterall. so just to clear up: Warner is sending out email invites for the Nolan chat to EVERYONE who registers to BD-Live, but is only inviting the first 100,000 who reply to the email?

·
Registered
85 Posts
BAH- CRAP!

Is there a version for sale that doesn't have the aspect ratio changes, or are we stuck with it? Its flat out brutal, if you don't notice it you're blind, or need a bigger TV.

On our 60" LG, even my wife who could give a rats butt about HD or aspect ratios piped up that something seemed wrong with it as it was going black bars, none, black bars, none. Maybe on a 32 or 40 you don't notice, but when approx 7 1/2" of screen disappears ( 5.5" top and bottom ) at different times of the movie, its a big distraction.

Is this steel case version contain a cut with this I hope?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ryankenn,

The SD DVD is the only version available, it is your only option, its presented in 2:40:1.

This is a short quote from DVDTalk...

Presented in its original 2.40:1 aspect ratio and enhanced for 16x9 displays, The Dark Knight looks somewhat uneven from start to finish. It's worth noting that unlike the Blu-Ray release, this DVD does not change aspect ratios during the scenes filmed in IMAX format*---but since the majority of fans only caught this in regular theaters (myself included), it's certainly not a deal-breaker.
For the Blu-ray It tells you right on the back of the case that it is shot
with 2 formats...the original IMAX 1:78:1 & 2:40:1
There have also been many reviews of the Film before release.
All the Blu-ray versions are in this Format.

For me it was not distracting at all.It was very smooth,because it happened during a transition.

DVDFile

Rooster14,

I wanted to get the steelbook as well, but from past experience I decided not to.
They always seem to put the disk on top of each other on one side,so you have to take one disk out to get at the other one.Also the back has no label, its just a piece of paper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
SD DVD

You make me laugh. I didn't buy this setup to have my eyes burned out by that mess anymore. That's why I posted in the Blu Ray review section.

I rented it with the intent to make a copy, so its not like I bought it. I'm not in the habit of reading reviews of discs as I don't care if a Blu ray is rated a 95 PQ or 86, but I've never even heard of another movie having rotating aspect ratios.

I can only assume if you don't notice, you're a little blinded by your love of the movie, as there are a few sequences where its only 1.85 for a 5 second outdoor shot, and that in between black bars is distracting on big screens.

The overall PQ is good to me, and of course, the movie as a whole doesn't suffer, it just could have been a real breakthrough to have a modern movie in 1.85.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Well, those who exclusively prefer OAR should be quite happy with the aspect ratio switching, I would imagine. In fact, I'm surprised more people aren't complaining that they cropped the IMAX-filmed portions to 16x9.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
The CIH guys (the very few that actually buy without looking at the price tag) hate the guts of this "invention".
I would be really surprised if such "creativity" will ever crop up again in a A-title movie...

·
Registered
785 Posts
They do a pretty good job with the scene changes so that the switch isnt too obvious. I thought it was great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
*IMAX*

Even before I bought The Dark Knight I new what I was
geting because I am an informed consumer. I have had an
HDTV for quite a while now & I am very familiar with the
display resolutions, & the various wide screen presentations,as WS versions is all I ever bought on DVD, so I know what 1:78:1 & 2:40:1
would look like on my display.

As I have said before I had no problem with TDK presentation,
but the more I think about it the more I have to question the reasoning
behind that decision to display both resolutions on the Blu-ray release for
home viewing. Has anyone here ever been to an IMAX movie???

What would make them think that we at home are going to get
that kind of impact from our HDTV's just because there are no black bars
on our displays?????

I always want to get the directors vision,but do you not think
that when he used all those IMAX cameras it was intended for an IMAX Theatre Presentaion???

There are actually 3 disks included, one is the Digital Copy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts