Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
You may think I'm making a joke here but I am serious. If I had the money to afford it, I would buy it. Only to have my own network. I would rename and rebrand it. I can't say what I'd do with it but I can say this, there is NOTHING else like my idea anywhere. COME ON LOTTO MAX!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like The CW is up for sale with Nexstar rumored to be seriously looking at buying it. WSJ News Exclusive | WarnerMedia and ViacomCBS Are Exploring Possible Sale of CW Network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well there is a lot to explain, this network has not turned a profit since 2007. Despite their success with their programming (although many watch through streaming, etc), the network has struggled in the ratings for YEARS. The network's poor performance bankrupted two of it's major affiliate groups in 2008 and 2011. Nexstar may think the network might provide real estate for them, they may re-program it with something else who knows.

Viacom and Warner (soon to be Discovery), have different scopes to their broadcast business, especially the latter is going all cable + streaming if it's sold. Viacom owns 8 O&Os of the network, which would become affiliates after sale. Warner on the other hand has little interest in broadcast TV, since they sold Peachtree TV to Meredith (which has since ceased to exist).

Viacom has been selling assets to raise money for it's new ambitions (they sold CNET, CBS NY HQ and more).

Nexstar's lone cable channel NewsNation (the former WGN America) continues to lose viewers every day, with fewer then a million viewers. And also the network debuting at a time when the news went major downhill to the ground and as a result sucks now. They also own two sub channel networks that show repeats of old television shows as well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve watched News Nation and I’d much rather have WGN America back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Somehow I'm not surprised. The CW has a very troubled history. It took many years for Fox to gain enough of an audience to become viable. Adding a fifth network was always a long shot, especially when the TV market is becoming so diversified, good quality new and syndicated programming are becoming scarce, and the big money is being spent on building streaming services. If I were starting a new station or network now, I would be licensing it to streaming aggregators like YouTube, Prime Video and Apple+.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The thing that brought FOX into relevance was when they acquired NFL rights in 1994. That was a huge game changer for them. Plus part of that deal saw FOX purchasing a 20% stake in New World Communications. Many (if not all) of those stations switched to FOX in the fall of 1994 giving FOX much stronger stations in many key markets (Detroit being one of them).

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I remember when the Detroit CBS affiliate switched to FOX. We lost the station since since FOX was not licensed for carriage on cable. It took about a decade to get CBS and FOX from Detroit approved. (I'm sure both could have been approved faster but Rogers was trying to force the Toronto lineup on us to save costs.) What made it even worse was that the CBS station from Erie that remained was a two bit operation with unreliable reception. We eventually got FOX and CBS from Detroit back after the switch to ATSC. The only way we get CW is to subscribe to the US Superstation package. There is one show I watch on CW that is not carried by any Canadian stations. I hope the CW is sold to a company that wants to invest in it. Since FOX went mainstream, CW appears to be the only network that carries scripted programming for a younger demographic.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I remember when the Detroit CBS affiliate switched to FOX. We lost the station since since FOX was not licensed for carriage on cable. It took about a decade to get CBS and FOX from Detroit approved. (I'm sure both could have been approved faster but Rogers was trying to force the Toronto lineup on us to save costs.) What made it even worse was that the CBS station from Erie that remained was a two bit operation with unreliable reception. We eventually got FOX and CBS from Detroit back after the switch to ATSC. The only way we get CW is to subscribe to the US Superstation package. There is one show I watch on CW that is not carried by any Canadian stations. I hope the CW is sold to a company that wants to invest in it. Since FOX went mainstream, CW appears to be the only network that carries scripted programming for a younger demographic.
It was the same situation with CW 23 and MY 49 Network in Toronto on Rogers until about 5 or 6 years ago Rogers finally picked up both Buffalo affiliates. Only issue was they weren't in HD until the switch to Ignite where they corrected that.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
WUAB was available on Rogers cable only and was close to unwatchable for much of that time. A CTV repeater interfered with it when it was on channel 43, making it very snowy and unreliable. After the switch to channel 10, it became unreceivable due to the Channel 10 CTV2 blowtorch in London. Last time I looked at WUAB on cable, it was reduce to a letterboxed 16x9 SD signal. I assume that was due to the signal being fibred in. WQLN suffered a similar fate after it was threatened with loss of carriage over reception issues. The stations must pay the cost of the fibre feed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
WNYO Buffalo has been available since 2001 and WNLO since 2006. London didn't have the WB on basic cable but they did have UPN via WUAB. London does have The CW now as WUAB switched to that affiliation in 2019.
Has it been that long for WNLO and WNYO?? For some reason it feels like it hasn't been nearly that long since we've had them. I still remember having to break out an antenna to watch WB49 Buffalo in high school and this was in the late 90's early 2000's because WB wasn't included in the regular cable package and only on the superstation package and we only had 1 TV with the descrambler to get that and my parents always watched on that one.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Has it been that long for WNLO and WNYO?? For some reason it feels like it hasn't been nearly that long since we've had them.
Yes, if I recall, WNYO was added sometime between the fall of 2001 and spring of 2002. It was on channel 90 from what I recall. I believe WNLO was approved in late 2005 but it might not have made an appearance until March/May 2006. It was never on analog cable though so if you're parents had a descrambler in the early 2000s, they definitely wouldn't have had it.

WUAB was available on Rogers cable only and was close to unwatchable for much of that time.
I lived in London from 2000-2002 and I don't recall ever having issues viewing WUAB. If I had to guess by the late 90s, they were probably using Microwave relay for many of the stations (could be wrong). I'd be curious if WQLN and WUAB are still SD 16x9 letterbox on Ignite TV. I would think they are on the traditional digital TV.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
WUAB always suffered weather related interference during the summer from what I remember. You could almost use it as at front predictor for anything out over the lake. I always thought that WUAB when it was on 43 was picked up closer to Erie and then piped in é sent to the London cable head end.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I would be willing to bet that they used an analog microwave relay signal to pipe in the Erie and Cleveland stations (And possibly even the Detroit stations). I know when Hamilton had Erie PA stations in the 70s and 80s, they were received by Microwave relay. This was how the Rochester feeds were pipped into Ottawa. I think MCI ran a Microwave relay for the Rochester stations but it was shuttered in 2003. That's when Ottawa switched from Rochester/Buffalo to Detroit feeds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, if I recall, WNYO was added sometime between the fall of 2001 and spring of 2002. It was on channel 90 from what I recall. I believe WNLO was approved in late 2005 but it might not have made an appearance until March/May 2006. It was never on analog cable though so if you're parents had a descrambler in the early 2000s, they definitely wouldn't have had it.

I lived in London from 2000-2002 and I don't recall ever having issues viewing WUAB. If I had to guess by the late 90s, they were probably using Microwave relay for many of the stations (could be wrong). I'd be curious if WQLN and WUAB are still SD 16x9 letterbox on Ignite TV. I would think they are on the traditional digital TV.
We got digital really early when it first came out on Rogers (I'm thinking possibly 2000) but still don't remember WNLO or WNYO on digital until much later than that. I also may not have noticed because at that point when we got digital we picked up multiple boxes so I had the WB and the other superstations at that point.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
The microwave relay towers were still in operation well into the late 1990s or early 2000s. I remember losing Toronto area stations during thunderstorms before that due to microwave outages. Local stations and C-band satellite feeds were received and distributed locally. Cleveland and Detroit stations were picked up somewhere in the Chatham area and microwaved. The London office was closed about the time as the microwave feeds. They once had a wall of TVs, one for each channel, in the office so signal quality was always known.

Cleveland and Erie station were always an issue during tropo event due to lake reflections. Multipath was terrible on analog and, I assume, carried over to digital. WUAB picture quality took an bad hit when CTV launched their analog repeater. It's still letterboxed on Rogers and looks like an SD signal that has been compressed in the same way as metamorphic CDs. I consider that unwatchable since the Rogers cable boxes will not expand letterboxed or compressed signals correctly due to deficiencies in the design. That's why we don't really have the CW even though it's technically on the lineup.

WQLN looks like a HD signal downgraded to letterboxed SD. It was once stated that WQLN paid $30,000 a year to provide a digital feed to Rogers.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
WQLN looks like a HD signal downgraded to letterboxed SD. It was once stated that WQLN paid $30,000 a year to provide a digital feed to Rogers
That is quite possible. They were probably using bundled T1s at the time they announced it or possibly a private MPLS circuit. They could still be using that but they have come down in price. They probably would only need a 10MB or 20MB service. To give you an idea, if they were using MPLS, they are probably paying around $700 USD/month min and they probably have a primary and backup circuit. There are other fees like fibre access fees that might be levied as well. Reality is today Internet is fast enough that they probably just have an ipsec VPN tunnel setup between their operations in PA and Rogers and likely use Internet to deliver the signal at very little cost.

Cleveland and Erie station were always an issue during tropo event due to lake reflections. Multipath was terrible on analog and, I assume, carried over to digital.
If it was Tropo that mostly caused reception issues, that might explain why I never noticed it. I was only there during school months. I was away from May-August which would be the likely months where reception could be an issue.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
We got digital really early when it first came out on Rogers (I'm thinking possibly 2000) but still don't remember WNLO or WNYO on digital until much later than that.
Below is the earliest Rogers channel line-up that was archived from my old site. This would have been fall 2003 and was for Richmond Hill, Vaughn, Scarborough and Pickering area. Toronto would have been the same channels 90 and higher. WNYO was on channel 91. It moved to channel 213 for a little bit before moving into the 100s in 2005. If I recall, there was a big channel shuffle in 2005 and another in 2006.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts