Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone else out there watches the TV series "The Collector" I see that many people, myself included mention Corner Gas on regular basis with respect to good Canadian programming.

I think that "The Collector", broadcast (and produced I believe) on CityTV is a excellent quality drama that holds it's own against some of the american TV series. If you have not watched it give it a shot! The story surrounds a monk from the 1800's who makes a deal with the devil to save his love! The problem is the deal with the devil is only good for 10 years, after that time your soul is surrendered to pergatory. The devil enlists the monk to be a collector of souls for him. Within the last 48 hours of the 10 year time, the collector has the opportunity to try and save the persons soul. This involves finding out who lost because of the deal the damned made with devil and to make it right. The neat thing is that in every show you never know if a person is going to get to keep their soul or whether the devil will!

Alt - Who knows that we can produce quality programing if we want to!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Season 3 is in HD and DD 5.1 on CityHD (Ch 519 on Rogers, Tuesday 8pm). The 1st episode (The Jockey) was aired on the 10 January 2006. Maybe this thread should be moved under "What's On in High Definition ?".

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree, Altaman, it's a stellar show. As an actor, I like to keep track of certain shows that are made here in Canada. And this one keeps my interest as well. It has pretty high production values: it doesn't look like a cheaply made show. And I love seeing Canadian actors I recognize from other shows and from my own career.

I never really liked Jerry Slate's character, and her son just got tedious -- doing the same thing ep after ep. Finally at the end of season two, they hinted at some connections between him and the Devil. Changing actresses for Maya between seasons one and two was interesting: actually working her change in appearance into the story. She's starting to grow on me. I like that her character is changing throughout the series. Morgan is a decent character, but he basically does the same thing every ep, much like Eliza Dushku's character from Tru Calling.

What's a lot of fun is the character of the Devil. The actors playing him seem to be having a ball! Evil and repulsive, yet with intelligence, wit and charm -- I can't help enjoying the character! While the stories can easily fall into the same formula (a la Tru Calling), what I find fascinating is the reasons behind the deals that these people make. To see why they did it, and how they dealt with the repercussions from the deal. Fortunately, the writers have written about fascinating people from all walks of life, and it's interesting hearing their stories.

cheers,
supervij

1 - 3 of 3 Posts