Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
We live in a small rural community, in central Colorado, that gets our OTA signal from a repeater. We sometimes see this issue when the link between Colorado Springs and our area cuts out. The local transmitter is sending out a good strong signal, but it doesn't have anything to send out. Your situation might be different, but might be caused by a similar situation. Ours usually gets fixed in a day or two, when they get the fiber optics between Colorado Springs and Salida fixed).

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Channel RF28 is showing 2 edge so means 2 bounces.It would say you dealing with multipath interference from multiple reflections and the tuner can't lock onto one signal.Did you ever get a picture from this station ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Channel RF28 is showing 2 edge so means 2 bounces.It would say you dealing with multipath interference from multiple reflections and the tuner can't lock onto one signal.Did you ever get a picture from this station ?
This station was good some time ago..
I had access with, what I remember to be a Winegard omni directional disk. This was swapped out for a Denny's antenna, that too worked for a while and I tried a CM4228 with and without booster with no luck..

I swiveled the antenna about 45 degrees and no or very little symbol or signal quality showed on the HDHomeRun for this and a few others.. I did get a atsc v.3 lock on Channel 11. Woot! This broadcast antenna is Hi VHF at 11 and it also is fine as far as a atsc v.1 picture..
Any suggestions on how to eliminate one or the other bounce?

Thank you!

Chris

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
On your rabbit's report if you click on mileage number will show geometry terrain map with obstructions.Are there any cell towers near? If Yes try a 607Mhz 5G filter .FCC Site shows 3 different coverage maps for channel 28 so maybe the station changed its coverage from before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you Rob.. I see the 2-Edge note and that Ideally I'd have some additional height to clear the obstructions. Is the 2-edge designation due to these 2 obstructions.
If I only had my antenna 165 feet higher, LOL..

Thank you.

Chris
Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Parallel

Handwriting Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a bit confusing and frustrating when the broadcast locations and signal margin are not reliable indicators of channel access.
For example, channels 18 and 50, carried on 18 are not available, but all of the other channels here are... Very strange, all broadcast are from Mt Wilson and so transit all of the same terrain and the signal margin of 2, 4 and 5 are lower than are 18/50.
Well, sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
Water Rectangle Liquid Fluid Font

Chris

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I see RF 18 and 28 are about 200 ft lower broadcast elevation so they are either lower on tower or on the tower next to the others.It could be just a local obtruction.Sometimes moving antenna 10 feet in any direction can help. Line of Site or atleast 1 edge is usually required for reliable reception.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Sometimes, when the terrain is too rugged, it may be easier to look to the sky for the signals you desire, instead of at the Horizon... eg satellite instead of terrestrial OTA.
If it's just the Local PBS that your interested in, I might consider simply putting up a 1m, 1.2m Ku Band satellite dish and a modern Satellite STB to receive the National PBS feeds that are available at 125w longitude.
PBS sends their National network feed on that satellite, and has for as long as I can remember.
STB might run $50 or so, and the antenna ya might be able to find locally 2nd hand for free.
Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or even just scouting the neighborhood for dishes no longer in service, knocking on doors, or leaving a note. Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's a bit confusing and frustrating when the broadcast locations and signal margin are not reliable indicators of channel access.
For example, channels 18 and 50, carried on 18 are not available, but all of the other channels here are... Very strange, all broadcast are from Mt Wilson and so transit all of the same terrain and the signal margin of 2, 4 and 5 are lower than are 18/50.
Well, sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
View attachment 12585

Chris
KSCI on 18 is co-channel with KUSI in San Diego. So you will get one or the other, but not both. If you receive KPBS and/or KNSD, that's probably your issue.

It's possible you could be experiencing a similar issue with 28. The RabbitEars database lacks good data for Mexican stations, so they're not included in the results. KCET is co-channel with XHJK in Tijuana. It's possible that, like KUSI and KSCI, both signals are canceling out on 28.

- Trip

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update.. I now have access to channel 28.1 to 28.3 and channel 58.1 through 58.3. I had communicated with the station about what I was and wasn't seeing with regard to their signal. I was told that the information provided was forwarded to the technical staff, but didn't hear anything back. I checked my signal today, and I now have a signal.. This may be a atmospheric condition, but I'm hopeful some tweak on their side made the difference..

Fingers crossed.

Thank you all!

Chris

1 - 19 of 19 Posts