Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Finally sat down this morning and watched the pilot. I thought it was pretty good, if you take it for what it is. I'm willing to give it a try for the season and see where it goes. I think it has potential, but unfortunately, I don't think this will draw enough viewers to keep it around long.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
During the Golden Days of television and sixteen hour broadcast days.....the test pattern drew just about as many viewers. NBC is desperate and just cannot grab onto any real winning program concepts.....too many copies and too many way out there type shows. Perhaps all the good ideas have been used up.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It was a lot easier to recycle old concepts when there was only three networks, no other sources for TV and tons of money for production. These days, the best shows of each genre are available from several sources and new shows invite direct comparisons on a regular basis. Never mind that budgets are a lot tighter due to reduced ad revenues.

While it's true that 'The Cape' is not particularly original, it has decent production values for a TV show. OTOH, it does invite comparisons to many big budget movies and that is it's biggest shortcoming. The other, IMHO, is that it tried to tell too much of the story in two hours. Packing character development, hero development and introducing several villains in one two hour show diluted the story. Simply introducing the main characters and hero creation, with maybe one villain, in a fully developed story line would have been enough in this case.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Really enjoyed the pilot.

Started to watch new episode tonight on CITY Toronto, but they have a permanent bug advertising an upcoming show so I bailed. Will watch tomorrow on NBC instead.

·
Registered
137 Posts
But she jinxed it! Will she jinx The Cape too?

Stay tuned!
No she didn't. Summer Glau just happens to be in sci-fi/fantasy stuff. That is hard to get the general public into. If the Cape captures the audience than it will fine. It's like saying Nathan Fillon is a jinx. Castle is going strong now.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'll agree the production values are pretty good for a TV show, but it has a very generic cookie-cutter feel to me i.e. there's nothing that really stands out about the story or characters. I'll continue watching as it definitely isn't horrible.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The second episode seems quite good as well. Some of the sets are a bit cheesy but they generally work. I get the impression that the show was shot in an old warehouse with minimal lighting. The combination makes for a very dark atmosphere, well suited to this type of show. The writing, acting and action scenes more than makes up any lack of production values. I am quite enjoying the show.

The Russian accents, as usual, are terrible. :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
That's it I am out of this serie.
While I found it interresting at the beginning now, after 3 or 4 episodes, I found it very boring. Too much violin and flashback with no interest; I felt asleep while watching one of the episode.
The serie is well made with nice decors and caracters but good story is missing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It has been canceled.

The 10th episode which is unaired will only be available for viewing on NBC.com sometime in the near future.

The 9th episode ended in a cliffhanger with Orwell going crazy, so I hope they will at least resolve that plot line.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I didn't realize it was that many episodes alredy aired as I was watching on recording. I have deleted following episodes.

What does NBC is replacing it with? I don't remember the time slot.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Cape IMO had holes in the show. Like when the Cape is on the roof in one show talking to both his wife and son,and because he had a mask on that just covered his eyes. "THEY COULD NOT RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE". And the same when he is in the police car in another show talking to his former partner,the now chief of police and he couldn't recognize his voice either.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...and of course Canadian fans get screwed out of the episode because even though it was licensed for distribution in Canada, the finale will only air off NBC.com whose content cannot be streamed in Canada. Therefore Canadian fans will need to employ means the same industry who deny us the content term as "deviant" in order to obtain it - such as connecting to US based VPN networks or downloading the episode from Torrent sites.

·
Registered
254 Posts
...and of course Canadian fans get screwed out of the episode because even though it was licensed for distribution in Canada, the finale will only air off NBC.com whose content cannot be streamed in Canada. Therefore Canadian fans will need to employ means the same industry who deny us the content term as "deviant" in order to obtain it - such as connecting to US based VPN networks or downloading the episode from Torrent sites.
The episode is not available yet on NBC.com but I was able to start watching other episodes of the series from the NBC site without a VPN or resorting to illegal downloads.

Keep in mind that "Only on NBC.com" applies to the US viewers. Maybe we should wait to see what happens once it is released in the US before we cry foul.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am not that surprised it was canceled, much like I have read here I also was really into it before after 1 or two shows, but the last few I have found myself online or doing other stuff while watching which means it was losing me. To many holes and trying to build new villains each week who show up in very lame storylines. This show won't be missed...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
We were borderline viewers recently as well. The last episode I found myself wondering what kind of idiotic show I was watching. Then I realized that it was The Cape... ***time to suspend disbelief and put mind in neutral.*** Then I enjoyed the show.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts