Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Add to that list...
- It arrives 5 minutes early and is already a block down the road when you get to the stop.
- It arrives at the transfer point 5 minutes late and the last bus has departed already.
- The bus stop has been moved and the bus drives past, almost empty, while you are trying to find out where the stop was moved to.
- The trip planner on the phone app and web site are completely wrong because they were not updated when bus times, stops and routes were changed.
- The bus breaks down and you are stranded for half an hour while they send a new one.

Rapid transit - Buses that move rapidly past potential riders forcing them to call a taxi to get to their destination on time.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
This advert is awesome, They should air it on TV, but that would require tax payer dollars, and most people are cord cutters and watch streaming over the top services which are commercial free so they are highly unlikely to ever see this commercial, oh well

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I don't live in the GTA so don't really know how GO Transit is, I've only taken GO(when visit friends in the Hamilton)on the QEW Express. Never taken a Go Train so not sure what that's like?

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Never taken a Go Train so not sure what that's like?
I commuted on it for over 20 years. I used to live a block from the Port Credit station and worked a block from Union station. The front door of my apartment building was closer to the station than some of the spaces in the station parking lot. Very convenient!

These days I don't take that often, but now have a Presto card, which gives discounts, especially when transferring between the train and local transit. The card cost $6 to buy, but I saved more than that the first day I used it.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I took the TTC and Go Train a few times quite a few years ago. It made the public transit systems around here look like horse and buggy by comparison. (Not that I have anything against horse and buggy. They are probably a lot more reliable than the local public transit.) CN passenger service has gone downhill by leaps and bounds since then. The last time I took a CN train was a nightmare.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
The last time I took a CN train was a nightmare.
It hasn't been a CN train for a long time, unless you're in some remote area, where they run mixed freight & passenger trains. VIA took over the passenger service from CN & CP back in the 70s.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I used to take the Go train when I worked downtown, it was great. But now that I work uptown (north york), the Go Train does not necessarily cater to the people who live outside the downtown core. yeah it brings people from all other suburbs into the downtown core but not everyones job is downtown there is pleanty of jobs in the city of toronto that are no where near a go train or ttc station and because of that we have to "drive" into work

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
VIA took over the passenger service from CN & CP back in the 70s.
They can call it what they want. CN is ultimately responsible for abandoning passenger rail by spinning it off into a separate crown corporation. The train in question ran between CN stations, traveled on CN tracks and it was still a nightmare.

Via Rail

Highlights of the article: Trains arrive on time only 73% of the time, service cuts, political scandals and more service cuts.

My experiences with buses is no better. Flashy ads won't improve either service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts