Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just going to edit my post to give the sad news that it's only on Bravo in sd and commercials :mad: here.

Crap!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Will be on CTV too for those who want HD. It is a co-production with CTV involved, much like how CBC was involved with The Tudors.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure hope you're right but my guide is only showing Bravo for now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
But CTV has the nerve to show promo in HD! In a related matter CTV promos its CTVNewsworld in HD but that station is not an HD station! CTV or whoever makes decisions should smarten up!! I will not watch either station.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This is the answer I get from TV Guide Canada.

Amber: (...) As for The Borgias, CTV has yet to figure out a second run, but know this: anything on CTV will be cut from the original that airs on Bravo! — that’s what happens when you move a show from a paid station to a free one. Besides, as Borgias actor Colm Feore told me, “we like a little softness in our period dramas. I don’t want to be looking for wig lace, and women of a certain age deserve a softer light. Sharpness is not everybody’s friend. I’m sure some of the geeks will appreciate HD, but I’d rather see the whole story slightly softer.”

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
What a load of rubbish. CTV sometimes show the entire uncut programme. "Softer" indeed. Vaseline should be used appropriately and it's not on the lens.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Great post 57. LMAO...

Regardless of resolution, I wouldn't watch it on Bravo or CTV unless it was uncut and commercial free. The BD should be out in about a year. I'll rent it then.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I could only stand 1/2 hour of it on Bravo in SD. Some standard channels aren't bad quality, but Bravo is not one of them. Everything was dark, fuzzy and the sound was awful.

I had planned to just wait and watch it on CTV HD, but now that it seems that CTV will broadcast a shortened, edited version I won't bother.

So I guess I just won't watch The Borgias at all.

Stupidest decision ever to premiere it on a Standard definition channel.
It's not like Americans are being forced to watch it in standard def on Showtime because the show is meant to be "soft focus".

·
Registered
1 Posts
the borgias

I thought it was just me who thought the picture and sound quality was brutal! I just gave up in frustration and switched.
A pity because it is a good story, but first installment was shite!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I found the dire warnings at the beginning of the programme re: nudity, sexual situations, extreme violence etc. didn't live up to the hype. The picture was so dark you could hardly make out what was happening in the bedroom scenes. The under endowed actress was also a bit of a disappointment.
In contrast, "Worthless", "Deadwood", and the "Tudors" really delivered on what was advertised. When this goes to CTV, they'll probably cut out the best bits but at least it will be in Hi-Def!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I wonder why 1.MC/TMN or 2.Superchannel didn't jump on this? Usually one of the two services gets the showtime shows.
Because CTVglobemedia (now Bell Media) is one of the production companies. Therefore it must air on Bell Media's asset in Canada.

The same goes with Camelot. CBC is one of the production companies. Therefore, it must air on CBC's asset in Canada.

Such a shame, I think. Both shows are created by Take Five Productions, a Canadian company. However, US viewers can watch them uncut, commercial-free and in HD (on Showtime and Starz) while we can not.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I recorded it and couldn't make it through 20 minutes. Right from the start the audio stuttered and dropped out and continuous picture freezing. I gave up in frustration. It sickens me sometimes what we have to suffer though with over priced second rate services.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I somehow managed to conspire to miss the premiere last week so I went here: BORGIAS.BRAVO.CA to watch it online. I mean thanks to bravo for making it available but what execrable video quality on my 20" ACD at fullscreen! :confused:

Looks like I'll seek out alternate sources so I can watch it in hd. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
From a Bell Media press release.
Based on its record-breaking success on Bravo!, CTV has also ordered a second season of scandal and intrigue from THE BORGIAS, before its world network television debut on CTV on Tuesday, July 5 at 10 p.m. ET. The second, 10-episode season of the Canada/Hungary/Ireland co-production is scheduled to premiere in 2012 on CTV and Bravo!.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts