Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a vtech phone with three handsets (from BB, model # DS6221-3). Although I have read many posts about how great the Panasonic phones are, the one I am replacing is a Panasonic and I wasn't all that happy with it. It had poor battery life (good for only a day or two off the charger), and now after about 4 years of light use I now find I have to press very hard on some of the numbers to get them to work.

I've had the Vtech for about a week and I'm very happy with them (currelty using it with voip.ms). I know I could have gotten it cheaper (I can still return them to BB), but I'm wondering what others think of the Vtech, or perhaps if there are others I should be trying out? Maybe the Panasonic phone I got was a dud, and they really are as good as people say?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If you want many handsets and the ability to block calls based on CallerID, Costco has a nice Uniden phone with 6 handsets. We bought it last month and we're very happy with it so far. One of the handsets is a wired one too in case of a power outage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I used to work retail in a phone store. I usually purchase Panasonics, although I have had a Uniden that lasted and performed well for years. I would never purchase an inexpensive Vtech (single handset < $40) because of the number of returns we would get due to them being very poor quality. The mid and high end systems didn't sell well but never had any complaints about them.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yup, Panny and Uniden. I think Panny has the mid-range pretty much locked up, Vtech the low end. I do admit the Panasonics don't seem as well-built as they used to be, but Pannies in the States cost about the same or less than Vtechs here...

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've owned Uniden, Vtech and Panasonic in the past few years. Here is my take on them...
Uniden - Decent build quality but tend to have buggy firmware and be less reliable and durable.
Vtech - Decent build quality. Reasonably reliable and durable.
Panasonic - Lighter, cheaper build quality of late (were once excellent but that was 10+ years ago.) Excellent reliability and feature sets. Some sets have poor battery life but replacement high capacity batteries can be obtained cheaply online. Considering the build quality, much too expensive unless purchased as multi-handset packages and on sale.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Positive review for Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones here but its all I have ever had so...........

·
Registered
135 Posts
We've had our current Vtech four handset model for 2-3 years now. Excellent quality. Batteries are just starting to go but easily replaced. We've also had luck in the past with Uniden models.

We've never had luck with Panasonic models, in this house (12 years) or our previous condo (3 years). No matter what channel we set them on, it picks up too much interference from ours and neighbours' electrical devices. Possibly because in both locations we are very close to neighbours.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just replaced a some Vtech and Uniden phones with Panasonic DECT6 sets so that pretty much provides my take on where they stand. I originally picked up a 3 handset Panasonic DECT6 package for the extra security they provide. Liked them so much I picked up another 3 handset package the next time they went on sale. One base can handle 6 handsets, keeps a common phone book and does things like intercom paging between them. Battery life is not great but I will replace them with high capacity AAAs when they start to go. Like most wireless phones, audio quality could be better, especially at high levels but it is Ok at average volume.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I haven't owned a Uniden phone for a while, I guess they are getting pretty cheap now. To explain the "cheaperness" of Panny phones these days, the U.S. is their significant market, not us. And like I said, Pannies are dirt cheap there, Vtech is who they have to compete with, and Vtechs are give-away cheap there.

[Remember when there were Cobra phones, before Uniden (IIRC) took them over? Man, those were hot phones, you could use them several blocks down the street in downtown TO. Pre small cell phones. All the brokers in the "broker bars" used to use them, conducting business in between martinis LOL. That explains a lot of the late-80s stock market I guess... Range is the biggest issue I have with current phones, some things you just need (sustained) POWER for and tiny batteries don't help...]

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bought Panasonic 5.8ghz set a good 4(?) years ago now - rock solid, excellent.
The only reason I knew they were good to use is that they used them at my workplace at the time (at least, a similar set - 2.4ghz version). Those things took a beating far more than my household use ever could and they were still going strong when I left after three years. (They were probably a good 3+ years old when I started, too)

And it seems they've been jumping frequencies constantly. The second you buy the 'latest and greatest', something else comes along :p
At the time, 5.8ghz with FHSS, previous to that, 2.4ghz, 900mhz
and now it's 1.8 or 1.9 with the DECT

.. I'm happy with my 5.8's :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i too am looking at replacing my panny,i was actually looking at the Siemens hand sets, any one have any insight on them?
Ya I see Costco sells them, haven't heard much about them....wonder if there any good?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Siemens hand sets
Very happy with the S45 Gigaset DECT6.0 (had to get them in the US) - have four of them linked up as house phone/intercom system.
Range is good, batteries are regular AAA, clarity is amazing, speakerphone is better than average.
I believe most of the current Gigaset models are interchangeable, and there is a VOIP/POTS model as well.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The only reason I knew they were good to use is that they used them at my workplace at the time (at least, a similar set - 2.4ghz version). Those things took a beating far more than my household use ever could and they were still going strong when I left after three years. (They were probably a good 3+ years old when I started, too)
Most people say the 2.4GHz models were the best phones Panny ever made. Not the greatest range, and could potentially be interfered with by all the other modern household 2.4GHz stuff that mostly came around after they were intoduced, but otherwise great. And came with decent-quality AA NiMH batteries too (multiple times the capacity of AAAs).

Lots of people say to stay away from any DECT phone, because of the way DECT works. For medical/health concerns. (Not to be mixed with the cell phone panic thing, this is a bit different technically.) Comments? Or just another "health scare"...as though cigs are truly bad for you... :) (love the old ads where doctors recommend them) They didn't really get on the case of other GHz freq. cordless phones, but DECT they jump on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey everyone while on the topic of the cordless phones does anyone know if on the models that have the answering machines on them if you can disable it completely,or dose it pick up no matter what?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey everyone while on the topic of the cordless phones does anyone know if on the models that have the answering machines on them if you can disable it completely,or dose it pick up no matter what?
You can turn the answering system off completely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried the Siemens from Costco, and although it was a nice handset, the range was very poor, much worse than the Panasonic ones.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been a field tech for the phone company for a few years, and I give a thumbs down to Vtech and a thumbs up for Panasonic. I've had a few cordless phones, and the only one that's lasted long enough to replace the battery on was a Panasonic. I'm constantly needing to listen to phones to pick up faults, and the background noise is usually far worse on Vtech than anything else. I've rarely had customers say anything bad about their Panasonics, but they frequently complain about the Vtechs. The Unidens are fine, and over the last year or so, they seem to be relplacing the Vtechs at the lower end of the market. The entry level models are cheaper than Panasonic's cheapest, but when you compare equivalent feature-sets, there's not much of a price difference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts