Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I have few complaints about Shaw, but are they ever going to update the iguide? I'd even settle for no fucntional upgrades and just a freshening up of the GUI. I hate it. Then I go to friends houses who have MTS and have to see how nice (and fast) that guide is...its' kind of depressing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take a look at the MTS guide and get back to me.

1- It looks better (transparent, clean)
2 - much faster
3- realtime pic in pic preview of not only the current channel, bu the other channels you are browsing

I could go on. There is huge room for improvement here.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I can't since MTS is for Manitoba only.

1. I have no problem with the looks. I only need the guide to be a guide. Not for it to look purrty.

2. Sure, it can be faster but it ain't as slow as it used to be.

3. That is a cool feature but not an important one for me.

If you like MTS guide so much, why don't you switch to MTS?

·
Registered
502 Posts
what I'd like for the guide to do would be the ability to schedule/cancel/extend recordings remotely online...there's also the caller id display that would be a plus--both should be available with the iGuide but hasn't been implemented by Shaw.

I find that guide isn't that ugly when you change the colour to black onyx rather than the default blue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, a translucent guide would be very cool and look much more modern. It looks like a 90s interface as it is now, how about some rounded corners and much smaller fonts at least?

·
Registered
125 Posts
the look isnt so much of the problem to me as getting "new" and "repeat" tags done properly and getting proper descriptions for EVERY show.

if they werent so lazy, maybe they would so stuff correct

edit: i know shaw doesn't handle that stuff, but whatever company does is terrible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MTS uses Microsoft Mediaroom, similar to TelusTV. The main issue I have had with the Shaw guide is the lack of the proper 16:9 aspect. Other than that, there's nothing technically wrong with it, but there's been no real innovation since its original release.

In that respect, the Mediaroom is guide is light years ahead. But I actually find the MediaRoom guide quite a bit slower than Shaw when just browsing. Each time you click a menu/scroll etc. you have to wait .5 seconds before the next command. Very annoying.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
My brother-in-laws have the Telus Guide and both absolutely detest it. I agree with yvr 76, fix the aspect ratio and I'm good to go (recognizing that channel change speed is more a function of the technology).

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's possible they have the older Telus software (Minerva etc.), and not Mediaroom. To clarify the Mediaroom channel switching is lightning fast. It's the guide response itself (scrolling through, navigating etc.) that lags.

I'd like to see Shaw embrace something like Google TV to bring it on par with the competition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been using this guide for the last 15 years (since 1995) when I used to subscribe to "Laurentian" cable tv (which was bought out by Videotron) and now using it with Shaw. It with anything that can be upgraded through firmware, it will bring fixes at the expense of bringing other problems to put in the hopper for the next fix. Just a vicious circle;).

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You've been using different generations of this guide, perhaps. It's not fair to suggest you've been using the iGuide for 15 years, because you haven't.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The look and feel of the guide changed pretty significantly from the old Tan guide when it went to the Blue guide and then to iGuide.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shaw programmer seems to have an ego problem. my way or no way. there seems to be very little one can do to customize the guide. I moved from bell back to shaw and first thing I didn't like is the guide. you can not have it stay on all subs. any time you activate the guide, all channels is selected. you constantly have the problem of clicking on a non subscribed channels and have to read the anoying message . comparing to bell, the guide is in the stone age! if the irmware are not improved in a year or so. I might re evaluate staying with shaw.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts