1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have tried to find out where this channel is going to be carried without success so far.

My Mother should benefit from this but it has to be easy to use and be carried on the analog channel tiers of Shaw cable here in Kelowna to be accessible. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the broadcasting decision
the Commission considers that it would be appropriate to approve the application by NBRS for a broadcasting licence to operate a national, English-language digital specialty DV programming undertaking to be known as The Accessible Channel, and to grant the applicant's request for mandatory distribution of this service on all DTH satellite distribution undertakings and all Class 1 and Class 2 BDUs, in both anglophone and francophone markets.
i.e./ Should be available as a digital (not analog) channel on all major cable and satellite operators

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Is this similar to what Bell Tv offer now as DV (Descriptive Video) Channels down at about Channel 49.?

·
705 Posts
I am a volunteer reader for NBRS's VoicePrint, and as of 3pm eastern time today I still have no channel number info for TAC. I've spoken to my coordinator and will post as soon as I find out where it will be available for viewing. As hugh already said, every provider is required to carry it. This channel is designated as must carry and should be rolled out soon as long as you're a digital tv subscriber.

Pinza, Yes the DV channels Bell TV offers from 49-91 contain audio programming from AudioVision, another service of NBRS. it wouldn't suprise me if this channel got put near those but I still can't confirm a number yet.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Digital channel. That's too bad. I used to have a digital cable box for my Mother so she could get the digital music channels on Shaw. She enjoyed that but it became too big a hassle. I don't live near her and with power disruptions mucking up the setups and her not keeping the remote pointed correctly on power up or power downs, keeping the cable box and TV in power sync was impossible and very frustrating for her so I canceled it when I realized she was just not tuning in to them anymore.

What with Shaw shunning technology that would be simple for their customers to operate, they are going to be losing more customers or not getting potential new ones. Just another Shaw frustration when it should be a significant step ahead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any news on the channel listings on providers. I'm trying to figure out what channel this will be carried on but I can't find any more info then you guys already know .

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
i.e./ Should be available as a digital (not analog) channel on all major cable and satellite operators[/QUOTE]

Just phoned Cogeco now to find out. The said "What's THAT?" They never head of it, not in the lineup.

I was advised to phone Cogeco's "Sales Department" tomorrow and see what they know.

When I told them of it having mandatory carriage on digital basic as mandated by the CRTC, the CSR said "Oh..."

Will write back on the conversation with "Sales".

Cameron

·
705 Posts
I have reason to believe that the NBRS has asked that this be made available by all providers on channel 888 (to make it easy for their core demographic to find nationally). Looking at the various lineups, it seems that for the major players, ch. 888 is in fact available, but TAC would be an odd fit because in most lineups the 800's are either totally unused (and therefore in the middle of nowhere), HD channels or digital music/radio channels. I still have no official word to give regarding carriage yet though other than it should be soon.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
So what happened? DEC 3 has pased and nothing at least on SC.BTV & Rogers not sure about the others?

I thought this was a MUST CARRY channel? How hard is to add one channel :confused: :mad: :(

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think there might be a CRTC fight about this channel... I think conditions of their license stated they had to pay to get their signal to the headends of the distributors, but they're trying to weasel out of that.

Or I could be completely wrong and it's another channel.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I have been asking my contacts at Bell and they had never even heard of the Channel....

I pointed them all to Hughs' post.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wasnt launched on the Rogers Network on December 3? Wonder Why. ummmm SDV upgrade

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It wasn't launched on Bell TV either.

Has it launched anywhere.?

·
Registered
149 Posts
It didn't launch, from an email I received it looks as though they are working on channel placements for the channel on different tv providers.

Makes you wonder why they would announce the launch of a channel that apparently had not worked out this crucial point.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts