Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p I just want to give a BIG thanks to mts for not sim-subbing the Superbowl and have to deal with lost audio and late returns and of coarse all those cheesy canadian comericals.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not sure if you are talking about the HD feed, but if you are enjoy it while it lasts. Once all the local channels have HD broadcasts, like Global now does, simsub will return with a vegence. Personally I am already hating the simsub that goes on weekly no-thanks to Global.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I was out at a bar with my neighbours, and they were so happy that the bar feed had the US commercials. They were complaining that Shaw had been simsubbing for years, but were defeated because, according to them, MTS did it too. When I pointed out that my MTS channels weren't sim-subbed for Superbowl last year, they were shocked... and I think they are making calls today to switch after I told them about the PVR, internet speeds, etc...

·
Registered
338 Posts
For those of you interested in the current lack of simsub (replacing of the US feed with the Canadian version) please keep in mind this is currently limited to high defination (HD) channels in the 400 range. Also keep in mind that as local HD channels become available content will start being simsubed in HD, as witnessed by the recent addition of Global. With the Canadian deadline for the coversion to digital broadcasting being August 31 of this year the change will sadly be short lived and not make it to next year's Super Bowl.

·
Registered
988 Posts
CTV Winnipeg will be available in HD starting around August 2011. In other words, the days of non-simsubbed HD sigal may be limited...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually Shaw only simsubbed the Superbowl on the standard definition channel. That is, CTV channel 5 Winnipeg's signal went over top of Fox 49. For the Fox channels in high def (channel 208)they weren't simsubbed. This makes sense - there was no local station carrying the high definition version of the superbowl. Next year, however it likely will be simsubbed as by that time CTV will join global Wpg and be in high def.

As soon as the superbowl post game show was over, however, the simsubbing began - global Wpg HD simsubbed their signal over the Fox HD channels for 'Glee'.

I agree it's very annoying. It would be one thing if simsubbing was done professionally, but as has been said, they cut into shows after they've already started and if a show goes, say to 9:02, sometimes they cut off the ending, etc.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Actually, it's available now, Looks like those days of non-simsubbed HD signals are over.
True... but it's still not available OTA in the Winnipeg market so techincally (I think) there is still no obligation to simsub. I've heard CTV-HD Winnipeg will be available OTA in August 2011.

·
Registered
338 Posts
HD simsubs, for Global shows, have been going on for at least two weeks already. With the recent apperance of CTV Winnipeg HD on MTS I am expecting thsoe simsubs to start before March 1 based on the Global pattern. To make matters worse the HD simsubs are even more of a hatchet job that the SD ones were...

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
I was referring to no CTV HD simsubs until August.

Simsubs are mandatory once a station goes OTA. Global HD started broadcasting OTA shortly after they provided a fibre-feed to MTS.

AFAIK CTV will flash-cut to HD OTA in August.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why do I need Winnipeg CTV HD? To see the *news* in HD?

What a sham - I loved MTS because of the lack of simsubbing. Now what?

Ugh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts