Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not used my iPhone for tethering (I only have the 500M plan so it's not free tethering)
It also appears Steve Jobs does not allow the iPad to tether to an iPhone go figure or is this only on the US iPhones?
Will I have to jailbreak my iPhone and or iPad to tether to Rogers or will simply upgrading to the 1G plan allow this?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So far the only solution vie found is the MyWi app on the jailbroken cydia store. Gets excellent reviews but I would prefer not to have to hack my iPhones OS.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Unjailbroked iPhone can't tether to the iPod. As blueroomelectro states, the only way I know to do what you say is the MyWi app from Cydia or Rock. Works quite well. Not flawless or perfect, but does do the job.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
The other way to do this is with one of those Mifi wireless routers that can create a wifi network from a 3G connection but I don't know if you can use them in Canada.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The other way to do this is with one of those Mifi wireless routers that can create a wifi network from a 3G connection but I don't know if you can use them in Canada.
Both Rogers and Bell have Myfi and both are "out of stock." Meaning that Novatel has recalled them to fix the battery door.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
How much do you pay for data on your iPhones? I thought that the iPad $35 for up to 5GB/ month is a pretty good deal - is data cheaper on your iPhone? Or is it the case of not wanting to pay for a service that you only need occasionally?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I'm with Fido on the $60 500MB plan. Stuck in the contract till July 2011. So I'd rather not add another data plan as it's for occasional use when I'm not near a Hotspot.
The 1G plan is $85 a month and here's the rub, you can't tether the iPad to your iPhone for no good reason except greed (MyWi fixes that).
If I didn't have an iPhone I would have probably gotten a 3G iPad and the $30 plan. I would use Skype and a headset for a phone. Seems that too is limited with 3G and Skype only works with WiFi (seems there is a jailbreak fix for that too) I rarely use the phone anyway.
Writing this via iPhone MyWi tethering. Works great! Now I can wait till Fido comes out the a 6GB plan maybe when the next iPhone comes out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Or is it the case of not wanting to pay for a service that you only need occasionally?
^^^ This.

The 2GB data on my iPhone will be more than enough for those rare times when I'm not using wifi.

Although... got stuck for an hour last Saturday night due to an accident blocking the 2-lane road completely. Fired-up MyWi and entertained myself :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
And at the Google IO conference last week, Google announced that the functionality of the MiFi/MyWi will essentially be built into Android 2.2. However I'm sure that the carriers will choose to cripple that feature until you unlock and custom ROM your future phone.

I have the Rogers iPhone with the $30/6GB plan and it seems kind of ironic to me that I won't be able to use that to provide my iPad with mobile internet (tethering). Instead I'll just use my unlocked Bell Nexus One with the $30/unlimited data and tether to that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We can tether our laptops and we will tether the iPad whether Rogers, Telus, AT&T and Apple want us to or not. Sooner or later--and I suspect "sooner" once enough iPads replace enough laptops for enough people--they will have to give in.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Looks like tethering might be in the works.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30854

AT&T announced new data plans that will allow tethering. I believe the reason tethering an iPad to an iPhone was not possible because of AT&T's generous unlimited data plan on the iPhone. They didn't want tethering because people would just use a lot more bandwidth than AT&T was willing to provide with their unlimited plans.

Now that Apple's biggest cell phone partner is going to allow tethering, I believe Apple will just make this a standard feature for all their cell carriers. Eventually they'll have to in order to compete with the Android phone which already allow tethering.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
It's easy peasy to unlock your iPhone, takes about 30 seconds. The unlock will add Cydia. Your 6G iPhone plan is just begging for MyWi.
blueroomelectro, you may have cost me a lot of money! I did not get the iPad because I wanted 3G access but I have an iPhone (from Fido) and did not want to spend all the extra.

Now, I am reconsidering.

Jailbreaking still unnerves me but it really took about 30 seconds?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hugh, I had the same reservations about jailbreaking but it really is that easy. All you need is a program called Spirit and it literally takes a couple of minutes. I did my iPad, 2 x iPhones, and my kids touches. No problems whatsoever. And the stuff you can do on a jailbroken iPhone/iPad/iTouch is amazing!!

Fyi, most stores have been restocked over the last couple of days so it should be relatively easy to get an iPad now.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Hugh, I had the same reservations about jailbreaking but it really is that easy. All you need is a program called Spirit and it literally takes a couple of minutes. I did my iPad, 2 x iPhones, and my kids touches. No problems whatsoever. And the stuff you can do on a jailbroken iPhone/iPad/iTouch is amazing!!
What sort of stuff does jailbreaking allow you to do on an iPad?

·
Registered
772 Posts
iPad stuff is still in its infancy but the things I installed right away were backgrounder (run multiple apps at the same time) and some themes (winterboard) + sbsettings. Of course, there is also the possibility to download "other" stuff that you normally have to pay for.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can easily restore a jailbroken iPad/iPhone to factory through itunes prior to taking it in for warranty service. When OS4 comes out you can either upgrade the official way and likely disable the jailbroken functions or wait until the updated jailbroken software is released. Either way, its relatively risk free to jailbreak.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts