Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a free XM trial on my new Toyota (6 months I think) and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Recently (since las Wednesday as I recall) reception has been just terrible, to the point that I switched back to FM. It's almost as though the terrestrial stuff went away. The radio cuts out every time I go under an overpass, it's totally unusable downtown etc. It wasn't like that at all for many months.

Anyone else notice this? If it stays like that I'm definitely not going to subscribe at the end of my trial. :(

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
No issues here w/Sirius... other than when the car is in the garage. :) Although I suspect Sirius and XM still using different technologies but maybe not.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
XM and Sirius use similar technologies but are on different frequency bands.

Sounds like a terrestrial repeater is down. Basically it's a device that retransmits the XM signal in areas where satellite exposure is blocked, i.e. underpasses, around tall buildings, etc. They're usually installed in urban/suburban areas on tall buildings or towers.

You could try calling XM Canada and reporting the problem though I suspect the CSR would have no clue what you're talking about.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts exactly... That's why I asked here instead. ;) Add to the fact that I am not even a "real" customer yet and I'd probably have a CSR spinning his/her wheels...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts