Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Terrible evening speeds since SpeedBoost

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ve3sy 
#1 ·
Following Rogers launch of SpeedBoost, has anyone else been experiencing terrible evening d/l speeds?

I subscribe to Express (10mb) and during non-peak times I see speeds approaching 40mb however during peak time in the evenings I am lucky to see 100 - 200kb.

Of course when I complain they poo-paw it and blame home network, notebook etc.

Comments or experiences?

#2 ·
Sounds like you local node is overloaded. SpeedBoost may have made the situation worse.

Of course when I complain they poo-paw it and blame home network, notebook etc.
Typical corporate mentality. Deny any blame and deflect to problem onto the customer. That's why I switched to Teksavvy 8 years ago.

#4 ·
I lost my internet connection completely last night, I did not know about SpeedBoost. SO, called Rogers last night, waited for 30 min to talk to support. After a few usual questions, I was given an appointment for a service call (and he said if I did anything to their splitter... I would be charged $50 for the call). The appointment is for Sunday which is 4 days later. I said I cannot live without internet for 4 days, and he said after a few argument from me that he will call if an earlier appointment comes up. I said I wanted to speak to his supervisor. He put me on hold for another 30 minutes. Same story from the supervisor that they are unusually busy last night, hence the long wait. I again said I cannot wait for 4 days, but nothing from the supervisor. All the while waiting on hold, there was the message about SpeedBoost. Later after another hour, internet was back on, but is painfully slow, slower than a dial up internet connection (confirmed by speed test). There were occasions of a small window when it was fast like over 30 mbps (from speed test).
I was really mad at Rogers for not admitting that SpeedBoost is the cause. All they are trying to do is a delay tactic to hope for the customer to go away or the wait for the eventually fix for their problem.
This morning, it is 19 mbps down and .51 up.

Eventually when I have time, I'll look into Savvy.

#5 ·
It may be a bad modem, connection, splitter or cable. If the signal from your line is weak, it will get overwhelmed by stronger signals, especially if the node is at capacity. That is why Rogers always puts the modem on the first splitter to provide a strong signal.

Unfortunately, service with Teksavvy will not be faster. They still rely on Rogers to to the service. I just find they take customer issues more seriously so getting action on real problems is easier.

#6 ·
UPDATE

Interesting that after my phone call and follow-up email with details of times and speeds etc, I "appear" to be on a different node. I should have checked my IP before complaining.

So for now my evening speeds are at or above advertised Express speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.