Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it appears from TSN's broadcast schedule this morning that they will only be showing the remarkable Canadian Milos Raonic on their on-line streaming channel at 7pm and some "other" match on their broadcast channel.

I understand that the "big time" announcers will be covering these "other" matches but for a Canadian broadcaster this is shameful.

Might as well give up on these Canadian channels and just feed us ESPN directly.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Why do you assume that ESPN (and as a result TSN) won't show the Raonic match? ESPN's coverage tonight should look like this

7-9: Kvitova vs. Pennetta & Soderling-Dolgopolov
9-12: Melzer vs. Murray (with updates from the Zvonerva match)
12-conclusion: Ferrer vs. Raonic

The Raonic match will be shown, the only question is how much of it will be shown. It really depends on how long the Melzer-Murray match goes on for. ESPN never sticks with one match during the day session, so chances are a fair amount of it will be shown.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going by TSN's own website which says you can watch the match live on tsn.ca, no indication of broadcast plans, which as you say are dependent on ESPN. Hopefully by the time Raonic starts which could be quite late, there will be no other "important" match at the time and we can watch it in its entirety.

I'm just saying it's too bad that TSN can't say right now that because of their commitment to CRTC about Canadian coverage they can't indicate they will show the match. If they have it available for on-line streaming, could they not show that on their broadcast channel in HD, and cut whatever ESPN is showing?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I kind of laughed earlier tonight when Dick Enberg said Canadians have been staying up to all hours following Raonic‎ who has apparently been a sensation in this country. Uh...no not really. I've watched 4 to 8 hours of AO tennis every day this past week without seeing Raonic play a single point on TV. Enberg must not be aware that Canada is getting its AO coverage straight from ESPN which as far as I can tell has not shown him.

·
Registered
689 Posts
For the first week TSN replayed the Australian night matches (about 5am EST) the following day between Noon and 5pm EST. It was great. I could watch live tennis from the morning/afternoon session each night then see the best of the night session action the following afternoon. However, for the first afternoons of this week they've simply repeated the same matches they showed live the night before. Given that those matches were already shown between 9.30pm and approx. 1am EST (prime time in many parts of Canada) and thus were seen by most tennis fans wouldn't TSN be better reserving their allocated afternoon time for replays for those matches (that started at 5am EST) few of us had a chance of seeing live?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They did re-air the Nadal match in its entirety today from about 2-5pm ET. The only thing that I can figure is that because the night session only has one match now, they are trying to do their best to fill their 4.5 hour timeslot. Tomorrow and Friday the men's semi finals will be re-aired from 2:30-5pm ET.

TSN is joining the first women's semifinal in progress at 10pm ET tonight (hockey airs from 7:30-10pm). The semifinal starts at 9:30pm ET and is airing in its entirety on ESPN2. TSN2 has NBA from 7-9:30pm ET, so unless TSN's contract states that TSN has to air the women's semifinals, then there is no excuse why they can't air the semifinals in their entirety on TSN2.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just got home in time to watch the replay of Murray-Ferrer which even this morning said the match would be on from 2.30pm. They changed it to 1pm last minute. I'm guessing that means it's a longer match than they expected. As someone who plays close attention to these things I've noticed TSN regularly changes its schedule in the last minute so it is no surprise to me. Annoying to those who rely on DVRs though.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If they hadn't changed their schedule then they would have just cut out the first 90 minutes, so I don't really see the difference. They should give more than 2.5 hours to men's semi finals though because they usually take at least 3-3.5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts