Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
The Rome final will be live on Sportsnet One Monday 6 AM ET.

Andrew1 I really don't understand why they can't communicate their plans as soon as they know when matches are to be played. It is the weekend but I would hope a sports channel has even more people working weekends than weekdays.
Also why do the 4 regional channels show the same program? I get all 4 and everyone I know gets all 4. I'm assuming some people only get their one regional channel and that is why they can't show different sports on each, but I'd be curious to know if anyone reading this can say that they only subscribe to their one regional channel.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had basic cable at my old apartment (it was included) and only got one Sportsnet. As does any place like a gym or hotel.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
The 4 regional channels don't always show the same programming. There are plenty occasions in the summer where a baseball game will air on only one of the 4 regional stations. Same goes with hockey, although those are also restricted to regional blackouts. They also show different editions of connected. East, Ontario and West get the main one filmed in Toronto, whereas Pacific often has one hosted by Don Taylor that is shot in Vancouver and B.C. specific.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Andrew1 I really don't understand why they can't communicate their plans as soon as they know when matches are to be played.
It could be that they just consider tennis to be filler so they don't prioritize it. Incompetence can't be ruled out either.

The French Open is up next. It'll be on TSN.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Sportsnet One is showing the Paris exhibition matches live this week.

Raonic is currently scheduled to play Verdasco on Thursday at approximately 8 AM ET.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The tennis site is in French and I can't get a translator to work but it looks like Pospisil will be playing instead of Raonic in the second match. First match at 6 AM ET.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
For anyone who PVR'd TSN's tennis coverage this morning at 5 AM ET hoping to see Raonic, they actually did show a little. The very end of the 2nd & 3rd sets were shown and fast forwarding will find the segments easily.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I've noticed over the years that TSN has a different, non-American feed for much of the French Open. Most of the commentators sound Australian, but I'm wondering if it's actually an in-house Roland Garros production. Anyone know? Personally I love it because they seem to just want to show tennis and talk about tennis (rather than build up the personality side of things as the American broadcasters like to do), and I'd be really happy if TSN would pick up a similar feed for the other majors.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I agree its better coverage. But seeing as NBC I think still has the "last matches" coverage, TSN will probably go the simsub route..

And whats with the 'sound' just dropping just before the point starts (its like they change mics or something). Its weird, but its a cool effect.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Typically each tournament has the following:

1. World Feed - This is a clean feed of the match. There are two audio channels, one with English Commentary and one without. They then overlay graphics.
2. Host country Feed - This production will have access to the clean feed without commentary and without any overlay graphics (optional), so that they can lay their own down. Rarely, they will produce their own feed although they do have the option, but its a greater expense to do so.
3. American feed - A separate production done specifically by CBS/NBC/ESPN.

#1 without commentary is produced for all ATP/WTA events, so if TSN/Sportsnet wanted they could tap that feed and call matches off of a monitor. That is how all the other nations around the world do it (or sometimes they just leave it as a clean feed with no commentary). But its likely they are using the world feed with English commentary unless there is a broadcaster based out of France who has secured rights to distribute matches in English in France.

And yes, TSN will pickup the American feed so that they can simsub on Bell Fiber/Satellite. So if you have Rogers, Cogeco, Videotron, Shaw, etc. as your BDU you won't have to deal with the simsub but you also won't have a unique feed to go back and forth between.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Major audio desynch problems on TSN. at least a second off for the tennis, extremely annoying.

Even more annoying, they are running their ticker at random times.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm hoping they show the Djokovic v Tsonga match but Mary Carillo gave me the impression that Federer's will get priority.

Oh wait. Just before hitting submit they switched to Tennis Channel which seems to be showing the Djokovic match.

·
Registered
689 Posts
We're still getting the ticker though on Tennis Channel's coverage. I'm assuming the earlier coverage of women's matches was NBC Sports Network because of Carillo but I just turned it on at the end so maybe it was on TC the whole time.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Ya, this is one of the rare occurrences where because of the Canadian Grand Prix (CTV @ 2pm, Fox Simsub), Euro 2012 (TSN @ noon) and NASCAR Sprint Cup: Pocono 400 (TSN2 @ noon) that they had to use CTV2 for sports coverage in case the tennis goes a full 5 sets. I don't think they wanted to and if TSN/TSN2 didn't have other coverage I bet you it would had aired their instead of CTV2. I actually can't think of any other time dating back to CKVR having Raptors basketball and CHRO having Sens hockey where sports has aired on these stations, let alone the entire network.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Cant say Ive seen this before, but coming back from commercial, CTV2 somehow had the NBC broadcast with bars on top and bottom on the HD Channel. A switch of channels fixed it.

^^^ Usopen playoff between Tiger and Rocco was also on CTV2, just to get the monday nbc simsub.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What a freakin' joke Canadian networks are. They truly are. Can they do anything on their own?

CTV hijacking FOX for the Canadian Grand Prix... they can't even produce that on their own and it's in Canada??? Euro2012 being produced by someone else on TSN, same with NASCAR on TSN2 being produced by TNT. Global hijacking the PGA Tour coverage on CBS.

And now CTV2 hijacking NBC's French Open coverage, all because CTV's empire of useless networks were busy taking over other telecasts? You've got to be kidding me.

Seriously, Canadian networks just sit on their arse, plug themselves into whatever US network they want, rake in easy cash, and then repeat the process 8.7 million times a year.

Pathetic.

Disgusting.

Infuriating.

Sad.

121 - 140 of 252 Posts