Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think they are showing coverage on TSN.ca of an alternate court like they did for Wimbledon and the Australian Open. At least they are in the afternoon, maybe not in the evening. On their website it says

"TSN.ca will be providing live streaming of selected matches throughout the tournament."

·
Registered
689 Posts
I think they are showing coverage on TSN.ca of an alternate court like they did for Wimbledon and the Australian Open. At least they are in the afternoon, maybe not in the evening.
That seems to be right. TSN.ca is showing live streaming now - in the afternoon - but was not doing so the last couple of nights.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looks like TSN.ca has stopped showing alternative matches during the day - just when the tournament is getting to its conclusion.

Incidentally, the USTA has once again made a complete mess out of this US Open and not just because of Wednesday's mini rebellion by the players. The tournament is now universally derided for its attempts to squeeze every dollar out of the game in the short term without any regard for the long term, player health, or fairness.

For three years in a row many tennis fans have missed the delayed final because many CBS affiliates refused to show it on a Monday. Then there was last year's near catastrophe when Rafa's career grand slam was minutes away from not appearing anywhere on US television - due to ESPN's NFL commitments. Yet despite dodging that bullet not only did the USTA happily re-sign with the same networks they came out with the same ridiculous schedule this year again even though this tournament is notorious for rain delays. Men's 2nd round not starting until Thursday, Round of 16 and QF's on different days giving a major advantage to those on the top half of the draw - itself the subject of rigging controversies just about every year - so-called Super Saturday which no one but CBS likes. Last night they even tried to finish the women's QF's before the men's R of 16 :eek: this was probably a calculated ploy to avoid refunds to spectators - their refund procedure is complicated. They don't even pay the umpires properly so only half the top umpires show up for the tournament. In recent years this grand slam, whose USTA owners constantly brag about how much profits they make, has lost the plot.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The farce continues. The Roddick v Ferrer match had to be delayed then moved to a court with only a few hundred seats and no hawkeye challenge system due to "bubbling" on the court. Not only does the US Open not have a roof it doesn't even have covers or side drains for the courts.:confused: With neither of these the rain drains under the court then bubbles up when the court is subjected to heat from the sun.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm aware that Rogers Sportsnet (RSO) will be showing the important Canada-Israel Davis Cup tie this weekend. There's also semi-final action involving other countries - Serbia, Argentina, Spain and France. Anyone know if they'll be on TV anywhere? The RSO schedule makes no mention of it. They showed Spain v USA in the last round so I assume they have all Davis Cup rights, not just Canada's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Friday morning 7am EDT is the first day of Canada/Israel matches - Pospisil in the first match and Raonic in the second if he recovers from food poisoning.

Don't know about the other countries.

·
Registered
689 Posts
They told me Spain v France will be available at Sportsnet.ca. According to the official website the first singles match begins at 6am.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sunday at 7:30am ET on Sportsnet is the final day of Canada/Israel Davis Cup.
Raonic in first match and Pospisil in the second.

If you're only a casual watcher of tennis, tune in to see 2 very young tennis players who are certain to become stars on the world stage.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sportsnet just announced a few hours ago via twitter that they will be showing the Raonic-Nadal second round match from Tokyo at 1am EDT on One.

Wonderful reaction by Sportsnet on a tournament they weren't even planning to show at all.

One very happy tennis fan.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Sportsnet One's schedule shows early round coverage of Shanghai Masters starting Monday.

Hopefully we'll be able to see Raonic' first round match against Llodra when it gets scheduled.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
On Tuesday, ONE is showing tape delay starting at 9am EDT and Raonic is the third match of the day so I'm guessing around noon.
Hopefully we'll see a tweet from Sportsnet with something more definitive.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Raonic plays Ferrer in the second match Wednesday so if the tape delay starts at 9am EDT, we should hopefully see him around 11am.

This time there aren't any Americans playing until the final match of the day so the broadcast feed Sportsnet is using should show it, unlike the disappointing broadcast today that only showed the final 3rd set tiebreaker for 5 min.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The feed that Sportsnet uses for ATP events doesn't originate in the US, so it has no bias towards Americans. Usually, it does focus on Centre Court though, with the other courts used as bonus action. It may be shown in its entirety though because Tsonga v Nishikori isn't exactly an exciting matchup.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tonight on the reply they showed the whole Roddick match then just the 3rd set tie-break from Raonic v Llodra. They're now showing Fish v Tomic from the start. So Josh is probably right about Raonic's match just being bonus coverage between their feature matches as far as those providing the international feed are concerned. With David Ferrer being ranked #5 in the world I think they'll have full coverage of Raonic tomorrow.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Tennis Channel in the US shows the matches live at 2am.

Tuesday there were 5 matches on center court with Raonic the third match. Sportsnet showed the first two in their entirety, only showed 5 min of Raonic, then showed the last two matches in their entirety.

I therefore assumed the tape delay package was "edited" for US consumption.

·
Registered
689 Posts
With David Ferrer being ranked #5 in the world I think they'll have full coverage of Raonic tomorrow.
Unless it was on before the Tsonga match (shown in its entirety) then it wasn't shown at all on RSOne.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I got up at 5am to watch the Raonic match on live streaming and then out of curiosity recorded the Sportsnet 8 hour program to see what they showed.

At the last 2 hour mark they showed a 2 MINUTE hilite segment of the Raonic match then showed the Lopez (#28 world rank) vs Bogomolov USA (#38 world rank) in its entirety.

Please tell me that showing that match instead of Ferrer (#5 world rank) vs Raonic (#31 world rank) is not a USA bias - rhetorical question.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Lopez match was on Grand Stand not before 6pm. The Raonic match was on Grand Stand not before 3pm. The matches weren't played at the same time. I'm pretty sure the feed Sportsnet shows is the live feed from Shanghai; they just delay it because more viewers would watch in the afternoon than over night.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks NB Josh. That makes sense.
I know that by the time the Tsonga match finished, the Raonic match was also over.
So we just ended up with a scheduling issue as far as live tv is concerned and I will agree that the international feed is not USA biased.

Why Sportsnet wouldn't cut away from their international feed and show the Raonic match instead is a different question.

41 - 60 of 252 Posts