Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Raonic plays Federer in the Rod Laver Arena after Serena Williams v Maria Kirilenko (Alex Ovechkin's girlfriend). This will almost certainly be ESPN's main match so it will be on around 3.30AM or 4AM Monday morning depending on how long Serena's match goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Serena's match cannot start earlier than 3:30 AM ET, so Raonic won't start until approx 5 AM.
Right now it's supposed to be on TSN, but if PVR'g I would select both TSN & TSN2. What these broadcasters do in the middle of the night sometimes makes no sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just checked on the "world" listing for broadcast windows on ESPN and found that ESPN and/or ESPN2 stops their broadcasts of Australia 2013 Open at 6 am ET Monday (21st). Then, I checked an ESPN full listing and found that ESPN3 broadcasts all through the night Sunday/Monday ET with Women's Singles at 3:00 am ET and Men's Singles at 5:30 am ET on the Rod Laver Court (assuming the Women's Singles ends appropriately). Does this mean that TSN or TSN2 will pick it up? Who knows?

Scrubby's advice to record both TSN and TSN2 is wise. Also you can get up at 5:30 am ET to watch or watch a stream on your computer (from the USA if you can bypass the "rules").

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Poor Milos. Taken to school. Especially in the third set. I can't stand Roger despite being a great tennis player. Milos has some work to do. He seems to really have a killer serve. Forhand is quite good at times as well. More consistency needed. Hope he continues to develop his game.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
All Canada vs Spain Davis Cup matches from Vancouver will be live on Sportsnet.

First match Friday starting 4PM ET is Raonic vs Ramos, followed by Dancevic vs Granollers.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sportsnet is listing coverage of both the San Jose and Rotterdam tournaments this weekend - from the semi-finals on. Raonic should have earlier matches too - either Wednesday or Thursday. I don't see any mention of his first early round match at Sportsnet's TV guide.

Edit: There is also some delayed coverage from Rotterdam scheduled for Thursday night.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
They are giving priority to the Rotterdam 500 event over the San Jose 250 event which makes overall tennis sense.
However 3 Canadians (Raonic, Levine, Pospisil) are in the 2nd round at San Jose.
I know Tennis Channel in the US isn't showing these 2nd round matches either, but there is TV coverage available.
I have an OTA (Over The Air) antenna and the ONLY reason I have a paid TV service is for sports.
Online streaming quality is getting better every year and if these sports networks don't start listening to their fans, they will not like the future unfolding before them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
The Raonic semifinal starts tonight at 7PM ET and Sportsnet say they will show it even though the schedule currently says they're showing Brasil at that time.
If they manage to mess that up, the live streaming quality from the SAP Open Tennis website (free even to Canadians) last night was excellent, and no announcers to spoil the tennis.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
From Indian Wells California, Raonic plays today at 2pm ET.
Sportsnet has tennis starting at 4pm ET and I haven't yet seen what their plans are for the Raonic match, if any.

Well I tweeted Sportsnet over 4 hours ago now and still haven't seen any response so I'm guessing they won't be showing anything on live streaming or tape delay. On to option 2.

After watching the match on less than optimum live streaming on my usual site, I see that Sportsnet tweeted 5min before the start of the match that they were live streaming it on their site. Thanks a lot?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sportsnet went to the match against Cilic after the Tsonga-Fish match concluded. They joined it in the third set. I'm assuming, based on scrubby's post, that it was played earlier today.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Yes my post actually spanned 6 hours of time, I just edited it each time I came online.
At 10am, nothing from Sportsnet.
At 1:54pm 5min before the start of the match Sportsnet tweeted they're live streaming on their website.
Later in the evening via tape delay they showed the end of the 3rd set.

Now today Raonic plays at approximately 4pm ET, and of course Sportsnet has posted absolutely nothing about their plans yet (10:30am).
I'm guessing we'll at least get live streaming on their site.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Looking at the schedule of play for today, it looks like the Raonic match will be the only men's match live at approx 4pm ET, so it looks good that Sportsnet One feed of the Tennis Channel will be showing it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
So Sportsnet decides to live stream the Raonic match and at the same time show another match on One.
Wouldn't have been good for anyone PVR'g the channel hoping to see that match.
What are these guys on CANADIAN Sports channels thinking????

·
Registered
689 Posts
So Sportsnet decides to live stream the Raonic match and at the same time show another match on One.
Wouldn't have been good for anyone PVR'g the channel hoping to see that match.
What are these guys on CANADIAN Sports channels thinking????
Did they inform viewers that they could get the Raonic match online? I joined it late - during the Dodig-Isner match - but this is the first I heard about Raonic. If I'd known I would've put it on.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
We have the same exact scenario today with the Raonic match.
He is scheduled to play sometime after 5pm ET and most likely sometime after 6pm.
Sportsnet One is showing tennis until 7pm so if they should decide to show the Raonic match it will probably not be enough time to show the complete match.
If I see any announcements from Sportsnet early today I'll post it here.

On Saturday they showed the other match that was on at the same time as Raonic to its conclusion, even moving the scheduled basketball game to a regional channel.
It's unbelieveable that on Saturday, Skysport TV in ENGLAND shows a match between a CANADIAN and a FRENCH player, while at the same time Sportsnet in CANADA shows a match between a CZECH and SPANISH player.

Sportsnet tweeted that they will live stream the match on sportsnet.ca

The match before Raonic will now start just after 5pm so Raonic could be a while.

It's 6:30pm and I just logged on to Sportsnet and they are streaming the match before Raonic but I could only see about a third of the video screen.
Believe it or not, that's because I was using Internet Explorer. I had to switch to the Google Chrome browser to see the full screen!
What on earth are our sports providers doing?
Does anyone care?

Just got the bad news that Raonic has withdrawn from the match.
From milosraonic "Unfortunately I withdrew today, bad luck. Got sick and it was too much. Next time."

I guess I'm writing a novel here.
As soon as they announced Raonic' withdrawal, Sportsnet cut off the live streaming of the Berdych match they were showing.
Just when I think these sports providers can't sink any lower, they come up with another one!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thank goodness for Sportsnet. Seriously! CBS actually left just before the Miami final set tiebreak due to college sports having priority. In the US very few people have Tennis Channel so most Americans who watched on CBS did not get to see the conclusion of the tournament. Sportsnet stuck with it, of course, using the world feed commentators.

201 - 220 of 252 Posts