Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
On Wednesday Sportsnet One had extensive coverage from Paris of the Masters tournament going on there. This afternoon with both Andy Murray and Milos Raonic playing they decided to go with canned programming and a radio show - Hockey Central at Noon. I know I shouldn't bother trying but it's difficult to figure out the logic behind Sportsnet programming. Anyway, they are showing a live stream, without commentary, of Raonic's match at their website.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
The Sportsnet schedule shows that they had Tennis on Sportsnet ONE this morning. They must have had to shift it to web cause they didn't want to preempt Soccer Central or the replay of Hockey Central.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The ATP Final between Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic is to be played today at 3pm ET. Sportsnet does not list it in on their online TV schedule until 9.30pm tonight. Given that they showed less important round robin matches live (well, mostly) last week it seems odd that they would not show the final live and opt instead for poker and Hockey Central.:eek: I suspect there's a good chance they'll show it live but as their online schedule is often different from what the regular TV guide says and what they actually broadcast it's a guessing game.

Yesterday they showed one semi-final delayed - it was about 45 minutes or so behind live action - even though the program on immediately (30 mins) before it was a canned magazine show. (Maybe there was something on live more than 30 minutes before their tennis coverage and they had to schedule it that way?). Anyway I wish they'd informed us it wasn't actually live as I didn't realize it until I read a spoiler on an app I was using to follow Spanish soccer.:mad: I sound like a broken record but it's just astonishing to me how Canada's multi-billion dollar corporations covering sports are so amateurish compared to much of the Western world and beyond.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Tennis Channel in the US does not show the final live in their schedule, delayed to the evening.
I totally agree Sportsnet communications on tennis are terrible. They could at least tweet that the final will or will not be live streamed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I watched the match... on my HDTV (there are ways to watch things live pretty easily these days).

It was a good match, very close between the two... the end was a bit surprising, that's all I'll say.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Raonic' first round match of the Australian Open is being shown live on TSN2 tonight approx 8:30PM ET (2nd match on court).
Marino is playing tonight and live stream on TSN.ca at 7PM ET.
Not expecting coverage of Levine's match.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Normally they use Tennis Channel from the US for these non-ESPN matches but the commentator gave an ITV (British) Twitter address. He did however read out Tweets from viewers in the US so it's not clear if this is from Tennis Channel.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hope Raonic loses early so I don't have to watch his matches. Just because he's Canadian doesn't mean we should be forced to watch him
It was the right decision to show him live last night, and it was one of the more competitive matches of the evening. I'm disappointed though that TSN has decided to repeat the Raonic match this afternoon instead of showing a night match, such as the one from Rod Laver Arena, which would've been live at 3 or 4am when few of us could watch it. Raonic's was on in prime time Monday night so chances are everybody who wanted to see it did so.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Raonic is on a non-televised court tonight, so our "friend" sadchel will not be "forced" to watch him.

Levine is on a small televised court at approx midnight ET and I tweeted TSN asking if they will show it and have not received a reply. If they do I would suspect it would be live streaming on TSN.ca.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good, keep his non-attractive 2 shot tennis off my screen. He's all serve and inside out forehand..........BORING

I remember, at times last yr, TSN was showing his crappy tennis instead Fed, Joker, or Raja.

insane!

........but that is just my opinion, I want to see the best play, NOT some dude just because he's from my country.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good, keep his non-attractive 2 shot tennis off my screen. He's all serve and inside out forehand..........BORING
I found it interesting watching his opponent trying to prevent Milos from being able to play that game and instead force him into rallies and playing to his backhand . Part of the attraction of tennis is the contrasting styles and seeing how players try to neutralise their opponent's advantages. I only find it dull when both players have the exact same game - eg Ivanisevic v Sampras in the 90s.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
The Raonic match will be on TSN tonight approx midnight ET.
The time can be way off however because it's the 4th match on court.

I will keep this thread on topic of what is being shown on TV and refrain from commenting about the "quality" of the tennis. Menstennisforums has more than enough stuff about that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
TSN just broke away from ESPN's coverage to show Milos Ranoic 3rd round match on Court 3 and I have to say I am liking not having to listen to any announcers for once, only the courts sounds/auidence. Hoping Ranoic advances to the 4th round and beyond, rooting for him! GO MILOS!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
For "Canadas Sports leader", their website is a joke.

Here I was assuming that it must be a marathon of a match, and still going, or delayed or something, but nope... Just too early for the tsn.ca webmaster I guess. :?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
TSN's website for a while even had a news item to watch Raonic on TSN2 at 11PM ET.
They switched the tennis that was on TSN2 at 11PM to TSN at 11:30PM, which was always scheduled to happen in their 2week broadcast schedule.
Of course the Bell satellite program guide showed the tennis all on TSN2 so anyone PVR'g that would not have recorded any tennis. I don't know whether that's a Bell or TSN issue.
Then they missed the first 4 games of the Raonic match.

I also loved the no announcer aspect of the match. It forces you to pay attention to the tennis as if you were actually there rather than lazily listening to the announcer tell you what is happening.
That no announcer part was due to the world feed btw, and not due to TSN.

181 - 200 of 252 Posts