Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think you are a bit optimistic. Osaka was "something new". Kenin was as well. It's great for the two of them to make this final, and a qualifier winning is quite the story. But Genie Bouchard was quite the story, where is she now? Let them put up some consistent results before saying what they will do.

NO shrieking or screaming is certainly something that will make me a fan of a female tennis player, second only to a one-handed backhand!
I think Genie Bouchard is gearing up for a job as a sport commentator. It will be interesting to see how both these girls progress, then there's Coco too, that makes three so far.
Agree that a one handed backhand is a very good weapon to have, Ash Barty has one even though she can also do the double handed.
I am also happy to see dropshots and lobs and actual volleying happening rather than just baseline slogs.

The mens final was amazing, I was happy to see Medvedev win his first major. He played amazingly well.
I did end up feeling sorry for Djokovic but have to say he took it well, I like him a lot more than I used to after that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think Genie Bouchard is gearing up for a job as a sport commentator. It will be interesting to see how both these girls progress, then there's Coco too, that makes three so far.
Agree that a one handed backhand is a very good weapon to have, Ash Barty has one even though she can also do the double handed.
I am also happy to see dropshots and lobs and actual volleying happening rather than just baseline slogs.

The mens final was amazing, I was happy to see Medvedev win his first major. He played amazingly well.
I did end up feeling sorry for Djokovic but have to say he took it well, I like him a lot more than I used to after that.
I'm one of the curmudgeons who thinks the professional game should be played with one hand on the racquet. OHBH is just more esthetically pleasing, IMHO, weapon status aside.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm one of the curmudgeons who thinks the professional game should be played with one hand on the racquet. OHBH is just more esthetically pleasing, IMHO, weapon status aside.
I only used one hand when I played :)
I've only recently started watching tennis again, could not stand watching when there was so much screeching and grunting going on.
I think but not sure, that it started with Monica Seles but I still believe it started as a way to stop the opponent from being able to hear the ball coming off the strings.
To me the only reason players do it is to put the opponent off.
I don't include exertion grunts, that's something that can't be helped and actually shows how much effort a player put into reaching the ball.
Of course these are just my opinions :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only used one hand when I played :)
I've only recently started watching tennis again, could not stand watching when there was so much screeching and grunting going on.
I think but not sure, that it started with Monica Seles but I still believe it started as a way to stop the opponent from being able to hear the ball coming off the strings.
To me the only reason players do it is to put the opponent off.
I don't include exertion grunts, that's something that can't be helped and actually shows how much effort a player put into reaching the ball.
Of course these are just my opinions :)
The Seles part is the only part that I would classify opinion. The rest is truth. A number of people try to pull the BS "breathing out helps me hit a better shot", but yet, several players can breathe out without sounding as though they are losing a limb. The best is when players are quiet when they are winning, and the moment they start to struggle, out come the shrieks. I can't stand watching Andrei Rublev and Joao Sousa for the same reason.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Seles part is the only part that I would classify opinion. The rest is truth. A number of people try to pull the BS "breathing out helps me hit a better shot", but yet, several players can breathe out without sounding as though they are losing a limb. The best is when players are quiet when they are winning, and the moment they start to struggle, out come the shrieks. I can't stand watching Andrei Rublev and Joao Sousa for the same reason.
I have yet to have the dubious pleasure of watching either of the players you mentioned but can't imagine that either of them could rival Sabalenka's shrieks.
I honestly do not understand how they don't get a warning for extreme shrieking. She sounds worse than a car alarm going off.
Had to laugh at your losing a limb example.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have yet to have the dubious pleasure of watching either of the players you mentioned but can't imagine that either of them could rival Sabalenka's shrieks.
I honestly do not understand how they don't get a warning for extreme shrieking. She sounds worse than a car alarm going off.
Had to laugh at your losing a limb example.
I was going to use a different example, but the mods may not have approved, so I went with that one. There will be no pleasure if you do end up watching either of them. Well, perhaps if you mute the TV...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Totally agree. Sabalenka started shrieking against Fernandez as soon as Leylah started to turn the match around. It's the reason I stopped watching tennis 20 years ago. Yet I got into an argument with a female tennis fan-friend over Leylah's method of trying to get the crowd on board: my friend thought that was WAY worse than the grunting/shrieking. Couldn't disagree more. You've got 15k people sitting there - what are you supposed to do, blow them kisses? lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
Totally agree. Sabalenka started shrieking against Fernandez as soon as Leylah started to turn the match around. It's the reason I stopped watching tennis 20 years ago. Yet I got into an argument with a female tennis fan-friend over Leylah's method of trying to get the crowd on board: my friend thought that was WAY worse than the grunting/shrieking. Couldn't disagree more. You've got 15k people sitting there - what are you supposed to do, blow them kisses? lol
I think getting the crowd to cheer you on is one thing but when crowds start deliberately trying to put players off by shouting just as they go to serve etc is a very bad thing.
I don't particularly like seeing players revving up the crowd becuse this tends to bring out the bad behaviour.
I felt sorry for some of the players where the crowd was antgonistic towards them just because they favoured the opponent.
I don't know when this started but I don't think it's a good thing, crowds should not be allowed to bully players and to my mind this is what is happening.
It's hard enough to win a match against one opponent but a lot harder to have to play an opponent plus the crowd.
Not trying to cause an argument but this is my sincere opinion.

I also think something needs to be done asap about these long toilet breaks.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think getting the crowd to cheer you on is one thing but when crowds start deliberately trying to put players off by shouting just as they go to serve etc is a very bad thing.
I don't particularly like seeing players revving up the crowd becuse this tends to bring out the bad behaviour.
I felt sorry for some of the players where the crowd was antgonistic towards them just because they favoured the opponent.
I don't know when this started but I don't think it's a good thing, crowds should not be allowed to bully players and to my mind this is what is happening.
It's hard enough to win a match against one opponent but a lot harder to have to play an opponent plus the crowd.
Not trying to cause an argument but this is my sincere opinion.

I also think something needs to be done asap about these long toilet breaks.
In the final few matches, Fernandez was the crowd fav, but that's likely due to geography more than anything else. Amazingly, the NY crowd seemed to cheer good shots by both sides. I remember two years ago though, when Andreescu beat Williams, man, was Bianca ever the 'bad guy'

·
Registered
439 Posts
In the final few matches, Fernandez was the crowd fav, but that's likely due to geography more than anything else. Amazingly, the NY crowd seemed to cheer good shots by both sides. I remember two years ago though, when Andreescu beat Williams, man, was Bianca ever the 'bad guy'
I didn't see that match, I honestly can't watch Serena Williams play.
I was so disappointed for Leylah losing the final but I think all those long matches she played earlier finally took a toll on her. She played wonderful tennis to get to the final.
She's supposed to be 5'6" tall and Emma 5'7" but Emma looked quite a bit taller than her when they stood next to each other at the presentation.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Another year of tennis; another year of TSN providing mediocre coverage of the grand slams.

Seeing as DAZN is losing all their soccer properties, maybe they should go all-in on tennis and get the majors away from TSN.

·
Registered
439 Posts
@ ticky,

Hopefully by this time tomorrow we should know whether or not Djokovic will be playing.
I am about to add tsn to my ignite but trying to figure out whether the lite will show all the matches as it doesn't have TSN2.
I think last time I subscribed that a lot of the matches were shown on more than one channel but don't want to risk missing out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have been very disappointed with the TSN coverage for the Australian Open.
At times they are showing the same match over 3 channels up until the time I went to bed.
I think the women's singles has been fantastic. So many great players who can upset just about any other player when they're having a good day.

·
Super Moderator
20,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Exclusive English-language multiplatform coverage of the 2022 National Bank Open presented by Rogers from August 8-14 on Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE, and Sportsnet 360, and via live stream on SN NOW. See the Rogers Media press release for the full broadcast schedule.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts