Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking of suspending the sat service for the summer to hopefully get the kids outside a little more. They're getting really lazy and kinda pale. Two questions: Will the EHD PVR still function and will CBC still work, just in case there is a national emergency or something? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The EHD will still work just fine.

You will NOT get any Channels if you suspend the account with the exception of the barker Channels, 198 etc.

If you want CBC and you can get it OTA, that would be my route while on suspension.

Remember, if you are Renting, all Rental Charges still apply, even when on suspension.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pinza. I guess it will be quiet around here this summer with no TV and the kids not talking to me because there is no TV. Might be a good summer.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You'll still see some of the free preview channels, if you get desperate for tv.
Are you sure.?

I have several new un activated receivers running right now and you do not see any of the "Free Preview" channels.

Now, if your receiver needs to have been activated and then suspended, maybe but I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
If you are not on contract right now it would be cheaper to just cancel your service and conect it back at the end of the summer

For this year it's probably too late proceed that way (as Bell TV requires a 30 days warning before they disconnect), but for next year you could call a month before the day you want your service suspended, request a cancellation of service, they will put an open work order in their system. Once the summer has ended you could call and reconnect your service. Technically they should charge you a 50$ reconnection fee, but, if things haven't changed too much at Bell TV, you could probably easilly reconnect whithout paying it, lots of agents forget to add the charge.

Lots of clients are also downgrading their package to Digital Standard only...that way they have a few choice of channels for the rainy days.

Also note that temporary suspension will cost you more if you make your request with an agent then it would cost you if you make the same request using you remote control or going on the web to place you request.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've heard of people able to see the free previews when they've got a Red Guide, so maybe that's more of an assumption on my part that they would get the free channel during suspension.

For an unactivated receiver, do you not just get error message 129 - "this receiver has not yet been activated" - ?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No I get a blank screen but with the Bell Guide headings for the free preview channels.

You get the "not activated" the first time you turn it on, you just turn off and on again you can get 198 etc and as I say the blank screen for the free channels.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ah, the old "black screen info banner".

I didn't know you could get rid of 129 by turning the thing off. That can be the new thing I learned today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I have a question that I think is most relevant to this discussion group. I not sure where else to post it.

We are having renovations done to our home and need to move out for 5 or 6 months. I was thinking of suspending the service but I don't see any upside to that - as they charge something like 25% of the regular monthly fee.

On the other hand, if we cancel we might be able to sign up as "new customers" and receive all the commensurate benefits associated with being a new customer (I know, it's sad). Anyway my question is:

How long does one have to be off Bell's service before one is considered to be a new customer?

Any and all guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Six months is the usual length of time to be considered a new customer when you reactivate. I assume you are not on any contract.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The fee while programming is suspended is $10/mo if done online and $15/mo if done by phone. The minimum is 6 weeks. If you want to make programming changes or any other changes, do them beforehand because Bell will not make any account changes while the account is suspended.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. That will be perfect. We've been with Bell for 10 years and I don't think we've ever been on contract.

I would really like to get a dual tuner HD PVR for a reasonable price. Maybe they will come out with something with a more reasonably sized internal HD and a multiroom option by then. Thanks again folks.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
When I called Bell to cancel my service, they offered me 5 months of suspension at no charge. Guess they would sooner have the acct suspended that cancelled, that way you are sure to come back.

Alt

·
Registered
134 Posts
Account Suspension in 2015

Bumping up on old thread as it seems the most recent devoted to this topic.

In 2015, I'm considering a temporary account suspension to save some money for a few months. It seems things have changed a bit since all the other posts on this thread.

The website now tells me there is a charge of $50 to suspend service. I guess that's designed to discourage you from suspending for 2-3 months vs the $10-per-month charge.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this recently? What other hidden charges are there in this process now? $50 reconnection fee? $50 for the service and then still $10 per month? Difficulties re-activating?

I have a single 9241 receiver - will the recorded programming still be available if I suspend?

Lastly, as a "southern province" subscriber, its not easy for me to call Bell and ask questions, so would suspend from the website if I go this route. Can I reactivate from the website also?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can't answer all your questions but some.
Yes the recorded PVR shows will still be watchable, even if you cancel your subscription.
The web site says a one time fee of $49 applies and NO monthly fees.
Have you considered just deleting all your programming down to the cheapest option?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Over the years have suspended television service during our winter time in Florida at $10.......$49 dollars is just ridiculous but just another example of how mother bell operates......do not recall ever receiving a notice that the suspension cost was increasing. It just keeps on getting worse and for those of us without OTA HD the noose continues to tighten. By the way suspension of sat service means exactly that ......no service and no recordings.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, the existing recordings on a 9241 should be watchable. I watched the recordings on an unsubscribed 9242 for almost a year and the 9241 is very similar technology.

The $49 fee is to prevent extra service calls for short term suspensions. Some people are so cheap they would suspend their programming when they go away for a long weekend to save $5. The fee prevents that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Over the years have suspended television service during our winter time in Florida at $10.......$49 dollars is just ridiculous but just another example of how mother bell operates......do not recall ever receiving a notice that the suspension cost was increasing. It just keeps on getting worse and for those of us without OTA HD the noose continues to tighten. By the way suspension of sat service means exactly that ......no service and no recordings.
It wouldn't make sense if recorded programs are no longer watchable. What happens would your hard drive get erased? I don't think so. If a power failure happens the recorded programs are still there. Bell would be in a lot of trouble if they purposely erased your hard drive upon suspending or deleting your service.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts