Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I move one of my STB's to a friend's house?
He has a HD tv but is to cheap to spring for the STB and HD channels. He's the only single guy in the group and so is hosting the Super Bowl.
I don't remember reregistering with Shaw after we moved but there might be some sort link to physical location although I doubt it.
Thanks
JGB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess I wasn't hitting the right key words in my searches.
If I do it I'll be moving across Victoria which I'm guessing is all one node so it'll probably work.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
A node usually services about 1000 homes, so you may be on a different node, but it may still work, just don't leave it there for long.

·
Registered
227 Posts
just to clarify then - I understand that you are likely on the same node as your neighbor, so if you bring your box to their house it will work with your subscription settings, but what if the neighbor does not subscribe to shaw cable currently, but is still is wired for it (as in still has the cables running into his house)? do they need to be subscribed to something Shaw for this to work?

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
@johnnucleo, if the neighbour is not subscribed to Shaw TV, there is probably a filter on the line that blocks the signal and prevents the signal to authorize the PVR. I believe the authorization signal is in the same frequency range as basic cable, so if the neighbour can't receive basic cable, he can't receive the authorization signal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
that makes sense, thanks.

Is there a way to tell which node you're on? If I do a ipconfig /all on my computer, will it tell me? If so, which line of data should I be looking at?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ipconfig wont show you node information.

with the stb at your house tune to channel 999, it will show a number in the bottom right. if you move it to the temp location and tune to channel 999 one of 2 things will happen:

the number is the same - you are in the same node
the number is different - you are in a different node.

the number on chan 999 corisponds to the vod node, which may be a bit different than the actual service node but is usualy a good indicator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the digital box will work regardless of the node you are on, just has to receive an active cable signal. The only issues might be if you try to order ppv or vod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts