Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright just need some info. from the experts here.

I recently moved to Vancouver from the states and live downtown where Novus is available.

Currently I have the Novus 20 package for internet which has consistently been providing me with about 18 to 19 mbps connection. Cost me $19.95 a month no contract and goes to 37.50 at the end of 6 months, no big deal at all.

I have Shaw for my TV and have their best TV package as I have a 55" LED TV. I believe I roughly pay 40 a month which will go to 65 a month in 6 months for their Digital TV, Movie Central and HD Plus packages combined. I am not a big fan of the quality or the program guide. I purchased a PVR for 195 and am getting the HD settop box for my other HD TV, in the bedroom, for free. PVR has yet to work as the expander isn't working and i've setup 3 service calls and no one has come out but that's another story. But the good thing about Shaw is there is no contracts.

I am debating on going to OPTIK TV with Telus as they seem to offer a better selection for a similar price range. Well anway I called Telus and they are saying that since I have Novus hooke dup to my apartment they can't provide me with any services at all, not even a land line, unless I get rid of Novus as they are taking up the clearance path, not sure what that means. And I also found out that Telus Internet would be UP TO 15 MBPS and would be slow down based on my watching my TV or TVs. I am not too concerned about the price as it comes out to be roughly the same with all the bundles. But I am concerned that I have to sign a contract for a service I might not end up liking.

I use my internet connection a lot and download on a consistent basis. It's rare occurence for me surfing the web and not watching my HD TV at the sametime.

I wanted to ask people's opinion on what I can expect by going to Telus.

I am sure I've left some info. out so please let me know if you need further clarification to provide me with your expertise.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Despite all the misinformation out there, Telus does not have contracts unless you get a freebie such as (currently) free PVR for a 3 year contract on Telus TV, xBox for internet. You either buy or rent the equipment if you don't want a contract.

As for speed, I get the 15 Mbps profile with 2HD/1SD. I've only noticed degradation in internet speed once with the TV on (and not since).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Cockroach

You know what you are right. Now that I think about it the contract is only for if I want freebies.

I guess I can try Telus for a few months to see if I'll like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts