Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had Optik TV installed, found out I can only watch one HD channel at a time. Thought I was getting something more advance than Shaw, but feel like going backward, as least I can watch one HD and record one HD with Shaw. The issue is, before I ordered Optik, I checked what's available at my location, it showed I can have 3 HD stream and 1 SD. The funny thing is, my next door neighbour is getting 3 HD stream, and he's just only 10 feet away. Called tech support but they kept telling me I can only get one HD, there's nothing they can do. My optik internett speed top around 12mps with TV off, only 5mps when HD on. I don't know what I can do, we watch HD programs most of the time, now my wife and I can't watch HD at the same time on different TV, it's just not what we want, but we signed a 3 years contract. Any thought? :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
That sucks man, where do you live? I can get HD in all my 3 tv's at the same time aswell as record and browse on the internet no problem. It is more advanced than shaw. Unfortunately your area for some reason doesn't get it. I would bitch until they fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What does your box say in the settings? Mine had 1SD/2HD (although it doesn't matter beause I'm still in the stone ages with my 27" CRT). I just had a tech out today because of picture issues and he check the dsl modem. He said that the installer did not have it configured for the correct profile.

When phoning Telus, just push them to send out a tech to look at it especially if their website said that you could get the 3HD streams.

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
The issue is, before I ordered Optik, I checked what's available at my location, it showed I can have 3 HD stream and 1 SD.
It sounds like you checked the Telus web site. If that's the case, I would check again using your phone number which is the most accurate and print out the page in case you need proof in the future. Did you confirm 3HD/1SD verbally when you ordered Optik TV? I think Telus records the orders so there could be further proof there.

You should pursue this with tech support to find out why you can't get 3 HD if your next-door neighbour can. There may be a bridge tap on your line or other problems with the wiring. There may be a temporary shortage of VDSL2 ports on the fibre-optic node where your line connects. (VDSL2 is required to support 3HD)

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 HD/2 SD streams

Right now i only have 1 HD/2SD streams available. This is a huge let down when recording an HD stream and having to switch over to SD just to watch something. I live in Vancouver (Kitsilano) Anyone else in this area? When is Telus going to update it to more streams in this area?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Is there any option (or possible future feature) to have network-based PVRs? In other words you select the show to record, but the storage is actually in the network. That way you can record all you want, but only need enough b/w for what you can watch (so if you have one TV all you need is one HD feed).

I've been saying this about IPTV for a long time now -- the problem with b/w constraints (and number of tuners) can be solved by using network-based PVRs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Right now i only have 1 HD/2SD streams available. This is a huge let down when recording an HD stream and having to switch over to SD just to watch something. I live in Vancouver (Kitsilano) Anyone else in this area? When is Telus going to update it to more streams in this area?
I'm in the same boat. I just had Optik TV installed on Saturday. 1 HD and 2 SD profile. My house is brand new! I moved in 1 year ago. How is it not possible to have upgraded wiring? I should be getting 3 HD and 1 SD streams. If this doesn't change after my promotion ends, I'm probably not going to stay with them. I can't record 1 HD program and watch 1 HD channel at the same time. On the whole, I am very happy with the product, but this could be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It has nothing to do with how new your house is. But rather if Telus has the extended the capability of the faster profiles in your neigbourhood/area. Did you input your address to find out what stream you were capable of getting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where can you check your stream?

Where on the Telus website do you check how many streams are available for your address?

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
@TCB, go to the Optik TV area, click on "Check availability in your area" and put in your phone number.

·
Registered
18 Posts
too bad..

This is really a bummer. Kinda lame that it's only 1HD for my area...

Does anyone at Telus know when it will be upgraded or even if it will?

·
Registered
82 Posts
the chances of finding out when a specific area will be upgraded are probably quite slim. there are tons of upgrades completed/ongoing. it could literally be a week or a few months.

easiest way would probably check every few weeks and see if there is a change.

****telus employee, but my views are all my own****

·
Registered
181 Posts
Elbow Valley feeds

Hi, can anyone in Elbow Valley in Calgary tell me how many feeds we have available?

I have tried a few times on the website but all it says is "optik tv is available in your area"

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Spoke with a tech. rep yesterday about my 1 HD/2 SD profile. She said that Telus is constantly upgrading; in addition, switching over from the old platform. They hope to have all the upgrades done by next spring. I'm assuming Greater Vancouver. I'll keep my fingers crossed for sooner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was told there's no port available and I have to live with that until they perform a system upgrade sometime in 2011. That's really really disappointing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check with them at the beginning of the month, that's when people cancel and move and ports free up or at least that's what one tech told me. Just be persistent but polite. I just kept reminding them that I was trying to pay them more money every month but they were putting the onus on me to follow up on things and didn't that sound kind of crazy, shouldn't they be following up with me not the other way around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd like to know how you're able to check the number of HD & SD streams available at your address. I used to be able to, but Telus has changed their site for some reason.

So now, once a month, I call to see what the status of my neighbourhood is. (still only 1HD for me, and I'm not switching for that)

This past week I had a JOYFUL time chasing my tail with the Online Chat help. I asked REPEATEDLY for her to verify that I would infact be getting 3HD streams. She assured me I would get 3HD streams and kept re-directing me to the online purchase/registration page. I begged off, saying I needed to consult with my wife.

I called the CS on the phone an hour later. Sure enough, we're still only 1HD and no idea when we're getting the upgrade.

Foreshadowing of service to come?

·
Super Moderator
17,218 Posts
@gwydionjhr, usually the best way to check is with your phone number if you have Telus. If not, use your address. Say that you have Telus internet for the availability check and it should tell you the number of streams, eg.
... And you can watch 3 live programs in HD and 1 in standard definition at the same time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts