Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey, how do you check your profile? do you have to already have an account?

so ive got my victoria install set for the 28th, hope it goes well!

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
When you check availability for your phone number, it will give you the number of HD and SD streams you can get, which is based on your profile.

If you want to see the relationship, see this link.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Up and running,great so far

I received an automated call last week to confirm my instal on Monday 23rd,at 10 AM and allow 3 to 5 hours today.
I quickly pressed one to confirm!!!
I was expecting instal on the 29th next.

The installer called to say he would be late and he gave me an ETA.
I expected this as his previous instal may have had a problem.

He installed a filter for phones at the box outside,I ran around and removed all phone filters in the house.
He installed a D-Link Gateway installer,a VDSL2 Modem.
Main HD TV set box w/PVR and a second box no PVR for an older HD TV.
I ran cables between modem/gateway and Cisco PVR as I wanted them concealed and run a certain way.
Computers connect to Gateway plus the modem and then a cable to network in on PVR. The second TV is supplied via COAX from the Gateway to it's box with a remote controller.
These connections were not quite as I expected.
The gateway can be made wireless but I be olde fashioned,so I be opting for cable.
I don't like all that wireless stuff floating about willy nilly.

Everything turned up ok and is still running ok.
Installer gave instructions but too much to take in all at once. Manual studies coming up.
Have managed so far playing recording etc changing the audio etc and generally playing around.
Very impressed with the on screen displays with all it's versatility and realize now just how "Old Hat" Shaw is now.
One big plus finally BBC World News is now lip synced and no more Shaw commercials and no more Darren Day and his endless ad nauseum patter [always muted].

When I first saw the HD channels I thought that they were not as crisp as Shaw.
You have a choice of 780i and 1080i. Could not see a lot of difference between them.
However later viewing seemed ok to me. 5.1 Surround is fine.
Did notice on the regular channels that the audio level varies from channel to channel. A bit annoying. Maybe it is because I have audio set to Surround?

All in all,the installer was good and had a good knowledge of the Optik TV.
He gave me his cell number if I had problems before he went back to the mainland on Wednesday.
He said that improvements are being made all the time.
After that I will be at the mercy of whoever I get! :confused:

Quite a happy camper,I hope. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got it!

Well I finally got Telus TV.....sorry, Optik TV. So far everything seems great. My advice to everyone is to not book a hookup online. I did that and there was no record of me doing so even though I got a confirmation number. I ended up calling in to book an appointment. It was just under 2 weeks before they could come out. Apparently waiting times now are up to 4 weeks according to Telus. They scheduled 3 to 5 hours last Friday morning to install the service. It ended up being slightly over 2 hours but some of that time was spend across the street working in the green box. Also the tech guy spent some time fixing my entrance phone (I live in an apartment). He did a great job. I'm consistantly getting 14.39 Mbps download speeds. So far everything is working as it should be and I'm a happy camper. The only pain in the butt was when I tried to cancel my Shaw service. I will never go back to them. I was on the phone for 15 minutes on hold waiting to talk to someone. I decided it was just best if I drive down there to do it in person.....big mistake. It was so busy. There were 23 people in line. So I called them later that evening to cancel. After 15 minutes on hold I got to speak to someone. He was all set to cancel my service until he asked me why. I told him it was because I switched to Telus TV and then all of a sudden he had to transfer me to another department to do the cancellation of service. This other guy kept me on the phone for 45 minutes while I explained the poor service I've recieved from Shaw the past year and a half. Instead of being sympathetic he was just full of excuses and came very short of calling me a liar regarding some issues I've had with them. I would have hung up on the guy but I had just paid in advance for the next month of service and I wanted a refund.....apparently there will be a cheque in the mail. In the end I am so disappointed in Shaw and expected a lot more from them all around. Maybe they should spend more time and energy keeping their customers happy rather than waiting until it's too late. Now I've got what I wanted all along.....great TV, fast and consistant internet and at a decent price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Over two weeks and happy

Good to see you managed to get on line Scorpion.
I'm getting average 14.6 MBS with one HD on.
Quite adequate for me.
Very happy with everything so far. Really like the Media Platform.
Far,far superior to the competitors.
Speaking of which,I gave them one months notice of disconnect on July 30th.
I stopped them helping themselves to my bank account on Aug 31st. [stopped payment].
So far there has not been a peep out of them.

Awaiting first Bundled bill from Telus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
one week tomorrow

I can't wait for my first bill from Telus too. Apparently I've got the first month of television for free.....minus the HD channels. Then $20 off my bill for the next 2 months. I figured with everything bundled together I would be saving $20 to $30 per month compared to what I had before. I hope I'm right.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts