Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

561 - 580 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Slimline Remote

That remote, compared to the previous remote is a JOKE. I appreciate that Telus replaced my older remotes with this remote (2 for STBs I own), but this slimeline remote with its mostly identical buttons and NO backlight is a HID failure IMHO

·
Registered
118 Posts
This "Slimline" remote may just be the sole reason I will give up on Optik TV. I really want this to work, am happy with most of the package.. but this remote is just too frustrating for words.

Is anyone aware of an alternative remote that is 100% compatible with the latest STB's. I see LOTS of universal remotes... ranging in price from ~$15 to ~$300.. for sale.. but..

Any brands / models that one would recommend? I am willing to spend a few dollars to see if I can make Optik TV workable within my 30 day trial period.. But at the moment....

·
Registered
783 Posts
Try calling Telus with your thoughts. I have no idea if they still have the old remotes in stock or not but if they do, I bet they will send you a couple to make you happy.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Harmony 650 remote currently on sale at The Source for $48. It'll control all of your (IR) equipment (up to 5 items). Sale ends December 31. Some other stores have it for $50.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
$49.99 in Future Shop today, discount ends today...........I'm going to pick one up at lunch, it will please my wife as she hates all the remotes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation of the Harmony 650. Please give a report on how well it works.. what features of the Slimline are compromised.. or improved on.. And.. Most important.. will ONE button press (not hold) turn off / on everything?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like many others I have my favourite late night talk show. Mine is Letterman. I have it set to record as a 'series' with 2 red dots beside the show name. For almost 2 years now some weeks it will record every show. The next week it will record on Monday & Tuesday and then skip the next 2 days and then record again on Friday. The next week it will record every day again. This is the only program that it does it on, every other series recording is fine. I have talked to numerous tech reps, and they tell me it a 'known' problem and that it is being worked on. To take 2 years to repair a know problem is unacceptable to me. Sounds like a snowjob to get me off their backs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had a similar situation, an episode gets missed. What I found in my case was the missed episodes "info" just had a generic discription, not of the current episode, and along with that it had an original air date of the the premiere episode. So if you have it set to record first run only it will skip it. I was recording on CTV not sure which one but it had the generic discription, the other CTVs were ok, so I changed the Channel I recording it on and it resolved the problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, I've seen this too. I believe it's a guide info problem not a recording problem. If you have your series set to first run only and the guide info doesn't have the correct date then it won't record.

Last time was with Daily Planet. For an entire week the guide info only had generic info not the episode specific info and it never recorded. The next week the guide info was correct and they all recorded.

·
Registered
178 Posts
WHAT I have 198 recordings ? How did this happen ???

TELUS tech stopped by the other day to hopefully solve a picture freezing problem I have been having. After he replaced the set top box as well as a new router,my on screen recording menu showed that I had use 10% of my recording space and had only 7 shows in my recorded show library. I turned off my TV and to my surprise when I turned the set back on later in the afternoon I had 198 SHOWS showing in my recorded show library and had used close to 90 % of my disc space.

One show that the system showed I recorded was 35 episodes of Dr Phil. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE EVEN WATCHED 35 seconds of this show let alone 35 complete episodes + why would anyone record this program is beyond me. I phoned tech support to ask for a way to bulk erase 198 recordings and after 30 minutes on the phone with someone who clearly had no idea what to do [ even thou he kept assuring me that he had done this numerous times } I now have another tech coming out to hopefully solve this problem.... should be interesting to hear his reason for 198 recordings that I did not set up.

Pray to the gods of cat 5 cable that this problem is solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Barry

He replaced the set top box with a refurbished one which wasn't wiped. All you have to do is a hard reset on the box to wipe everything on it.

1. Pull the power cord out and wait 5 seconds
2. Insert the power back in
3. Hold the OK button and down button on the box at the same time until you see the 3 lights blink rapidly
4. You'll see a gear on the screen if you do it right
5. Eventually you will see 2 gears (The whole process could take 10-15 mins).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This isn't really a complaint but more feedback and disappointment.

I customize my guide BUT it won't allow me to delete video on demand channel 2, multi view channel 1000, 1499.

Any reason I can't delete these? Or a decision by Telus?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Most providers don't allow you to delete various VOD, etc. because they want you to see them and pay for movies, etc.

With some providers you can set up a set of favourite channels, where you can include as few or as many channels as you want.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, Telus allows that, but an easier solution is in Guide Settings, where you can choose Customize Your Guide. From there, you can remove channels you don't want. Telus has been getting very aggressive with those channels of late.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaw over Telus

Wow telus has terrible customer service. Scheduled appointment between 9-11am. Technician doesn't call or show up. Called customer service and all they can say is he/she should have been there. Wow really? I take time off work for this appointment and you can't even call to say "sorry, we are running behind and there are no technicians available?" I was with Shaw for a good 8 years and decided to switch over for a cheaper deal. Now, I understand why Telus is cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for. Shaw Cable has never missed an appointment with me and definitely, I would pay the premium with them to receive better service. Let's just see when they will show up at my place; at this rate, could be light years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with the NetFlix App? I am constantly having the volume drop after 2-3 mintues and then it starts pausing every 10-30 seconds for a fraction of a second. Then randomly, it'll just stop and reset the STB.

it's very very very very (never to many very's) annoying.

I've called and had the tech reboot everything, but it only helps for a few days and then it'll randomly start happening again.

561 - 580 of 594 Posts