Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

541 - 560 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think the hard drive on my CIS430 is starting to fail. Occasionally it makes a screaching sound and all controls are locked out. The only way solution is to unplug the unit and reboot.
I had a call into for a technician visit today but I cancelled because I was told by the tech on a pre-visit call that the only solution was to replace my unit with a new one in which case I would lose all my current recordings. He told me that there is no way to transfer my recordings to a new unit.
I asked about an external HD. He said the reason that Telus does not allow you to connect an external hard drive is because of copyright infringements! I asked then why does Bell TV and Shaw Direct provide for external hard drives. He had no answer! Their expanation does not make any sense. If there were copyright issues you would not be allowed to record on a PVR at all!
So, I will wait until at least I have watched all the recordings on my CIS640 or just wait until the unit fails completely!

·
Registered
243 Posts
What size HDD do you have in it? If you get a new one, at least you'll get the latest with 500GB.

I agree about losing recordings - it happened once to me on Bell. It sucks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was under the impression with the other providers PVR and an external HD you are still unable to watch recordings on the external HD via your recently replaced PVR. The external HD is locked to the PVR so this solution to not losing recordings if your PVR has to be replaced would not work. This also prevents you from moving your recordings between PVR's like you used to be able to accomplish with a video tape.

While losing recordings is painful, it isn't as painful as both losing the recordings AND having to buy a new PVR!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have telus optik TV with internet and a landline . I am moving down the road about 950 meters but no optik TV is available what gives? Is there any way to ask telus to expand coverage?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I heard that Telus raised customers rates that were on contract??? And apparently it made the news. My friend is on a contract and upset about it....he called in and they gave him one year at his current rate as agreed upon signing the contract.

That sounds nasty by Telus.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The recordings on Bell Ext Hard drive are encrypted and the encryption key is locked to the account so any PVR receiver on the same account can view the recordings.

I guess Cisco is unable to provide a similar encryption method to their STB's or maybe it's patented, therefore there is no external hard drive feature in the software.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, Stationg. Here's whats going on with that.

In the past, telus service agreements used to come with price protection on monthly rates. Modern telus service agreements do not protect the monthly plan price.

The service agreement is there only for STB rental discounts on TV or as a prerequisite on HS for the free gifts.

from telus.com

Our service agreements explained

A service agreement for a fixed term (for instance 3 years) is used when you take a special offer when subscribing to TELUS services. The offer may include a valuable gift or free TV hardware rentals (worth up to $900). You may also be able to save money by avoiding installation fees.
http://telus.com/content/help/billing/article.jsp?categoryId=how-to&articleId=service-agreements&eVar35=http://telus.com/content/help/billing/article.jsp%3FcategoryId=how-to&articleId=service-agreements

·
Registered
45 Posts
re subscriber

Spoke to telus rep about a 3 year agreement.. did sign up for a year for internet and TV... asked about the price protection and they now boldly say if they give you a gift then you are locked in when asked about the price protection they NEVER did lock in the price and its NOT like a cell phone contract due to market fluctuations...
i must admit it is quite a difficult choice

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whats up with the extremely slow remote response? Put new batteries in, no change. On was there a firmware update? The exit/ back now doesn't do anything. I have to hit guide to exit the guide and pvr recordings. Also on the non pvr, i have to hold the remote at a certain angle, off to the left, about 25 degrees above the unit to get it to do anything. The rest of the programming, internet, phone have been great the last two years. The only issue is the crappy response/software they load into these things! Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am really annoyed/confused with the switching of speed channel to foxSports? Why does telus have the guide all messed up??? Cant they at least put the proper shows in the proper slots? Total tease if you ask me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Place to vent on slimline remote

Is there someplace where one can make "suggestions" on the remote that comes with Optik TV?
I have just moved from Shaw Direct.. so have some comparisons to comment on... that could be deal breakers in my 30 day trial period.
1. This remote is obviously designed for those who do a lot of texting.. for someone who has a pointy thumb that is nimble and precise. NOT.. for an old guy whose thumb is an appendage..:( My thumb was designed for hitch hiking.. not texting. I want a remote that has some heft and buttons.. that daft little ring in the middle is a pain and one is forever getting a function he did not want
2. When in the guide.. if one selects a program that has not started.. How about a choice to "GO TO THAT CHANNEL" or.. as Shaw Direct has.. an option to automatically go to that channel when the show starts.
3.How about a remote that does not require laser alignment with the STB. I have already lost count how many times I have shut off the TV and left the STB on.. so when I then press Power.. the TV goes on and the STB goes off.
4. How about a remote that will accept all the numbers not only the first number..and then not subsequent numbers.. And if that does happen.. default back the the program you were watching.. NOT.. your puppet who explains how remarkable this Optik TV is.
5. How a bout an option to keep the details of an upcoming show on the screen more than 30 milliseconds.. before moving on to a screen that I don't need to see.
6. How about an option to turn OFF the screen saver function while in Galaxie listening to music.

Just a few.. frustrations in getting used to this new Optik TV
There are some features I like.. compared to what Shaw Direct had..
1. I like the Galaxie format.. showing the covers of albums to be played
2. More of the shows I watch are in HD.. Shaw may have more HD.. but if I don't subscribe to those channels they might as well not exist.
3. Seeing a preview of the actual channel in the guide is nice.. but a faded background of the show you were on makes reading the details difficult.. so call that one a toss.

Anyway.. thanks for the opportunity to rant.. would be interested if others have similar rants.. and is anyone important listening.

May 2014 bring you all the comfort you desire.

·
Registered
178 Posts
# 6 .. To solve this problem route the audio from the Optik stb to your home theatre system. That way you can listen to Galaxie and turn the tv off while listening.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think you hit the perfect place for the Rant as it covers more than just the slim line remote! If you were close by I would trade you some "real" (older type) remotes for the slimlines as I have quite a few of the older style remotes around here.

#4 - I get htis sometimes as well, you finally get it to recognise the first digit you enter but nothing else and then it changes to the single digit channel you managed to enter. I would power the STB (set top box or pvr) down and then power it up again. Not just the on/off switch but either pull the AC plug or hold power button in for 10 seconds or so until it starts flashing rapidly. I find I have to do this every so often to keep things working like new. I know you just had it installed but maybe it is bogged down with updates or something?

541 - 560 of 594 Posts