Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching from standard Shaw cable over to Telus TV. We have a basement suite in our house that we rent out. Right now we have a single Shaw cable account that covers the whole house, and I'm wondering if we're going to have any issues switching over to Telus.

1) Will the installer give me grief about the basement suite? It is a legal suite, registered with the city, but it's a small one bedroom mortgage helper and I'd prefer to just keep it on our account.

2) We have one TV in our main living area and one TV in the suite. If our main TV has the PVR, will the basement suite be able to see and watch all our programming? I know this is a cool feature for Optik TV, but all things being equal I'd prefer it if the TV downstairs could only watch live TV.

If the installer will give us grief, I could probably set up the separate TV myself - I'm assuming I just need to run CAT5 into the basement, correct?

Thanks,

Darren.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks.

How about the second part of the question? Can all Telus TV optik boxes share shows from the PVR? Or can you prevent them from sharing shows?

·
Registered
60 Posts
this can be done easily. All you have to do is prevent the boxes from communicating with each other. This prevents the PVR anywhere feature. The PVR can still record, but the other STB cannot see the PVR or access the recordings. Essentially the STB can only do live TV one stream at a time.

What you do is plug the PVR into the router that telus gave you. Then out of the telus router run an ethernet cable to another router and plug it into the WAN port. From your router plug an ethernet cable into the STB. Make sure your router is not setup as an access point or gateway.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Installations where STBs are on both the main floor and in a basement suite are done all the time. TELUS couldn't care less if your suite is legal or not. There is no problem securing VOD rentals so that the suite can't rent. There is no way to make it so that the suite can't use the PVR or view the content on it. OPTIK runs on a routed network not a bridged network. Preventing the STBs from communicating will cause issues. The setup you mention, two TVs, one upstairs and one down shouldn't be a problem. It would be best if you got the 2HD 1 SD service though so you don't have stream issues, but you get what you qualify for so that's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Basement Suites - Spliting - Sharing - Internet - TV - Cable

I am surprised by the number of people in these forums suggesting it is legal to allow basement tenants free access to cable/internet/tv etc.

It's theft ... period.

These units do not escape scrutiny because they are either legal or illegal suites (have the proper permits etc). Many speculate that it's ok to just sneak a line to a basement suite but it is not; it's theft.

Stealing is a criminal act whether it be stealing a car or an electronic product. Shaw, Telus, Bell companies, and many private cable providers work hard to provide these services and when someone steals free access by splitting service cables to two separate and distinct families, that's theft.

It can result in a criminal record and jail time.

For those of you here who just want to say "Oh it's ok" or "Oh he's making a big deal out of it and everyone does it" just remember that when you are charged with a criminal act of theft you will have those pied pipers to thank for minimizing what I am talking about here.

Don't be an uninformed person or someone who is trying to do a favor for someone that really amounts to nothing. People are more than willing to pay for their own access and if your tenants can't afford cable then it's likely they can't afford the apartment either. You offering free internet and tv to them is just naive' and you don't need to do it... your new tenants are more than capable of paying for their own access and you won't be held financially responsible for their use or worse be charged with theft and end up with a criminal record or jail time depending on your previous history with the law.

It's illegal to allow tenants access to your services. It's theft. It also violates your contracts with the companies involved. Don't be uniformed and don't take bad advice from people who are already engaging in this illegal activity and just want you to join in their dumb behavior.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
ISPs have download caps to charge for excessive use.

Do you also believe that using a router to put multiple computers on a single connection also constitutes theft? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Do you also believe that using a router to put multiple computers on a single connection also constitutes theft?
Not if it's the same residence, however, if it's an investment property (like a basement suite or separate apartment or duplex with someone paying rent), then that would also be "account splitting" and illegal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.